Author Topic: Physical aspects of a concealed carry weapon.  (Read 2996 times)

Offline troy

• Trade Count: (0)
Physical aspects of a concealed carry weapon.
« on: January 29, 2005, 04:53:36 AM »
I am trying to decide on a concealed carry weapon.  I know that a good quallity well maintained weapon will go bang when it is pulled, but I realize that it can have physical aspects that could hang in clothing, coats, belts, etc when pulled. Examples are hammers and rubber grips. Are there others that I am not aware of that I should take into account? Thanks

Offline PeterF.

• Avid Poster
Physical aspects of a concealed carry weapo
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 05:50:15 AM »
Any sharp edges .. for instance, slide serrations, back end of slide, front or rear sights ... can catch on things.  Also, since many CW carriers use inside-the-waistband holsters, you should be concerned about gun bits gouging your hide.  I have a Browning that's nicely stippled on the front & back grip straps; it feels great in the hand, but is like wearing a wood rasp tucked in your pants.  Tough on clothes, too.  Take a look at Kimber's "melt-down" treatment, and the SIG 239; they seem to have addressed these issues pretty well.  Also, I'm a little leery about extended safety levers on some semi's; a little TOO easy to knock off (some holsters take this into account).

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 05:50:24 AM »
Maybe front sites...It's not a problem for me but I guess it could happen.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline STW

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 07:49:34 AM »
In a more general sense I find width and flatness makes for a more concealable and comfortable carry. Found the width and cylinder of an sp101 was less comfortable and concealable for me than my flat Colt Commander. Also found the width of a very small short double stack Glock (don't remember # but .40sw) made it less comfortable and concealable for me than the Commander. I tried both the sp101 and the Glock because they'd been recommended for concealability over 1911 and it made sense so I was surprised at how important the width and flatness was. Conceal problem with the 1911 IWB carry for me is that sharp angle on the lower back grip corner. Working with tilt to get it right.

Nice to know there's a good reason to not have the front strap stippled.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 05:42:59 AM »
Have to agree with STW on the width factor. To me the most important factors in carrying concealed is witdth and weight. For me, a lightweight Commander conceals and carries better than a Glock 26/27. The Kimber Ultra Carry is an Officer's size light weight that carries better than any serious caliber gun I've tried. And I have tried a consider number of all types!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline minutemen1776

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 04:48:34 AM »
I've given a lot of thought to the physical attributes of a good concealed-carry handgun. Here are my criteria:

1) Fire at least a .38/9mm-sized bullet
2) Have a barrel length of 3-4 inches
3) Have a grip just long enough to accommodate all fingers
4) Weigh approximately 1.5 pounds
5) Have a slim, flat profile

No. 1 is obviously geared toward stopping power, Nos. 2-4 are a good compromise between portability and controllability, and No. 5 is strictly for comfortable carry, especially if you use an IWB holster.

These criteria rule out most double-stacks, as well as most of the ultra-lights, snubnoses, and subcompacts that are popular. As you can probably tell, I prefer what you'd call a medium-sized auto. To me, they are a good balance between performance, carryability, and controllability.

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 01:32:33 PM »
How much gun you can conceal depends on how you dress. For ease of draw, all sharp edges should be rounded, non rubber grips so they don't hang on your clothes, things like that.

If you are a neat dresser, a flat auto is probibly easer to hide than a revolver. By neat, I mean that your shirts and jackets are trim and well fitted.

I usualy cary a PPK ITW on my left side, but forward for a crossdraw, and I havn't left the house in years without a vest to cover it.  I don't care for baggy clothes and oversized pants.

My youngest kid could probibly conceal a good sized pump shotgun under his clothes, my oldest boy has trouble concealing a Chiefs Specal. Diferent styles of dressing.

Usualy, you decide what size gun you want to carry, and dress to hide it.

I went through the same thought process that you did before setteling on the PPK.  Depending on what I am doing, I often carry a Ruger Single Six  in the same mannor and place as the PPK. I find I don't have any more trouble concealing the Runger 32H&R Single Six than I do concealing the PPK. The 32H&R Mag is the only thing smaller than a .380 that I will carry. Hits hard, and I am MUCH more profecient with a Single Action than any auto made.  But then, I usualy shoot about 100 rds from assorted SA's a week.

Greeenriver(Did I address your question at all??)
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 09:21:13 PM »
The smallest pistol with enough power to be a serious self-defense concealed carry gun is the Kel-Tec P3AT which is a 10 oz., (fully loaded with 7 rounds) 9mm Short aka .380 ACP loaded with high-performance hollow points.

It's 85 grain +P hollow point bullet has a muzzle velocity of almost 1100 fps yielding a bullet energy of 221 ft/lbs.  This bullet energy is very close to the 235 ft/lbs of a 158 grain lead bullet in a .38 Special... and should be adequate for self-defense.

Incidentally, for those who are NOT hand handloaders or are not familiar with bullet diameters, a 9mm bullet averages .355 inches in diameter while a .38 Special bullet averages .357 inches in diameter... but, according to most reloading books, a 9mm bullet can vary from .354 to .356 inches compared to a .38 Special bullet which can vary from .356 to .358 inches in diameter.  Therefore, these two bullet diameters are almost the same and actually overlap somewhat in bullet diameter specifications.

If a pistol is light, easily carried & concealed like the Kel-Tec P3AT, there is a much greater chance its owner WILL elect to carry it a great deal more than if it is heavy, wide and unhandy to carry.

I carry my Kel-Tec in my right, front pants pocket at all times whenever I leave the house.  It's small, uncluttered frame has nothing to "catch" on my clothing as the slim little pistol slides easily in and out of my pants pocket... and its extremely light weight plus it's firepower make it an ideal concealed carry pistol.

I often forget it's even IN my pocket until something happens to cause me to become more alert... and then, being able to touch the little pistol gives me a great sense of security & safety.

However, in Ohio, they have a really aggravating CCW law that makes it illegal for anyone, INCLUDING a CCW Permit holder, to carry (concealed) any firearm while driving or riding in a motor vehicle.  I suppose they are afraid that a CCW Permit holder will do "drive-by" shootings or shoot police officers.  I know... its crazy, but that's the law.

The ONLY way one can LEGALLY carry a gun on their person in a motor vehicle is if one obeys the law which states that said firearm MUST be on the OUTSIDE of your clothing & EASILY visible to any law enforcement officer who might walk up to the driver's side window.  Otherwise, the gun must be LOCKED AWAY (and, therefore, not useable for its intended purpose) in the glove box or a locked container.

As a result, I've been locking my Kel-Tec in the glove box for the past year every time I got in my car.  This has been a real pain-in-the-ars.  

But last week, I began to REALLY "think" about a solution to this study in stupidity... and came up with the idea of using an ANKLE HOLSTER wrapped around my left forearm to hold the pistol "in plain sight" if a law enforcement officer walked up to my driver's side window.

It "works"... but herein lies the "catch".  It would be EXTREMELY unwieldy to do this same thing with a larger framed, heavier pistol... and even with the little 10 oz. Kel-Tec P3AT, the gun tends to want to slip around and hang down on the bottom side of my forearm if the holster is not fairly tight on my forearm.

But due to every "adjustment" on the highly-adjustable holster using Velcro as the "locking system" (an Uncle Mike's "Sidekick" #10 ankle holster), I can easily make the ankle holster grip my forearm tight enough to keep the little Kel-Tec pretty solidly upright... and, as the law dictates... "visible to any law enforcement officer" who might walk up to the driver's side window.

So now, at least, I don't have to lock my self-defense pistol in the vehicle's glovebox when I'm in a moving motor vehicle.  As a result, the gun remains easily within reach should it be needed... and I am obeying the "letter-of-the-law".   :grin:

Hopefully, at some point in the future, Ohio law-makers will get their collective heads on "straight" and change this ridiculous part of Ohio's CCW Law.  But... meanwhile... the little Kel-Tec in the little ankle holster strapped to my forearm works pretty darned good.

Just my 2ยข....    :money:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scorpius

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 02:37:53 AM »
Second your thoughts on our lovely CCW law.  What they were thinking is beyond me.  Apparently ordinary citizens are too stupid and untrustworthy to conceal their weaponswhile in a vehicle.  I'd like to know of a single statistic where a sane, regular CCW permit holder shot an officer of the law during a traffic stop.  Anyone?  Didn't think so.  As for carry weapon selection, you choose what suits you.  Go to a range/gun shop.  Try a bunch out in your hand.  Take the ones that feel good in your hand, rent them (if possible), and shoot them.  Choose the one you're most comfortable with.  Whatever caliber handgun you choose, just know that there is no "magic bullet" that will drop an assailant regardless of where you shoot him (or her, it's possible...).  Shot placement is key, but especially if you go to a lower caliber (.32ACP, .380ACP, etc).  My thoughts.  Good luck, happy shopping.

Scorpius
Love 'em or hate 'em, guns are here to stay.  Whichever side you choose, please be informed.  
www.nra.org/
www.packing.org/
www.ofccpac.org/

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 04:34:05 PM »
Hi,

I've got to go with flat and lite.  I wish I could tell you that I only carry my LW Commander.  It has Tritium sights, ramp/ throat/ polish, stock street trigger, Chip McCormack slimline grips, 45acp....perfect....but....a little large for summer and kinda bulky on my 5`7" frame.  So.....sometimes it's a SW-3914 (blue version) in 9mm (with tritium sights), which is flatter and smaller, or, my colt mustang pocket lite in .380 (replaces my PPK and PPKs and beretta jetfire in...gulp...25acp) for my ultra small, pocket pistol.  

I have or have had quite a few other contenders for the title.  I've bought and sold a Detonics 45acp, flat and heavy.  I've had a couple of Starr PDs in 45acp (not a bad carry gun actually). A bunch of SW m39's (may still pick up another for the collection).  A couple of sw chief specials in 38spec, they come and go for me. I have a Cylinder and Slide Shop Hi-Power,but, flat and heavy when fully loaded.

So.... my choice for a carry gun has the same characteristics, flat and lite.  I don't worry much about round corners or fancy junk hanging off the guns.  The tritium sights were a good idea and they work great for me.  

Though I guess rule #1 is....have a gun.

Doug
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 09:02:34 PM »
:cb2: My first concern is carrying, (A) enough gun that will get the job done, and (B) what you shoot the best. I've been carrying a Glock 21 for at least 12 years now. It's not small or lite, but it is kinda flat (but then, so is a manhole cover). You can either change the way you dress, or change the way you carry. I tend to change the way I carry. Paddle holster, shoulder holster, or fanny pack. It's easier (for me) than worrying about my wardrobe.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 08:04:17 AM »
What ever you choose, make sure it is large enough to do the job, light weight and most important, it should be easy to conceal and comfortable to carry.  It a personal preference in most cases.

I know several people who have CCW licenses, but do not carry because the gun "gets in their way"  Choose one that is comfortable to you!

:D Just my two cents worth............