Author Topic: gas check questions?  (Read 1964 times)

Offline adirondacker

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
gas check questions?
« on: January 29, 2005, 01:35:25 PM »
ok i need some 411 on gas checks

#1 can a gas check be sized to any dia for that particular caliber?for example 50 cal gas check sized to .500 or .512

#2 is the only way to seat a gas check to run it through the sizing die?if so then can you shoot a bullet "as cast" with a gas check.

#3 is there another way besides using the sizing die to seat the gas check?

#4 how critical is it to have the bullet  sized the exact bore dia?

#5 does the bullet mould used have to be specifically for gas checked bullets or can you check any cast bullet?i have lee bullet moulds.

#6 am i just being paranoid and should i try some loads before worrying about the gas checks.all of my cast bullets or large caliber 45 and up.i am using some soft cast in my 480 revolver using a 2 step alox lubing method i still have more fouling than i think i should.scrubbing the bore is a real pain.don't want to have to do it with any rifles.

any information would be greatly appreciated.thanks shawn

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
gas check questions?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 02:21:43 PM »
#1)  Yes, gas checks can be sized

#2) A gas check needs to be flat across the bottom of the bullet for accuracy. If the gas leaves the muzzle on one side quicker than the other due to a canted bullet base, the bullet will be pushed to the opposite side when it exits the bore. For best results, they should be pressed on with a bullet lubricator. A "as cast" bullet can be used with a gas check.

#3) Not that I know of unless it's a home made way.

#4) Supose to be sized .002 to .003 over the bore

#5) The bullet base has to be shaped to accept the gas check so a special gas check mold is necessary.

#6) Just try some velocities and loads to see if you can survive without gas checks. Depending on your alloy hardness and velocity, you might not ever need gas checks for handguns. It always helps for rifle loads though. Good Luck!
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline JBMauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
gas check questions?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 02:39:56 PM »
I can get my hands around a few of your questions.  Out of order, gas checks need to be placed on bullets that have a recess designed into the mould.  If you took a flat base bullet and placed a gas cap over the top (if you could) and you could swedge it to the proper dia. you would greatly deform the bullet.  The gas check can be applied to the bullet and run through a sizer as you know.  If you use hornaday checks which have an inside edge (tooth) that bites into the bullet you can slip it onto the base of the unsized bullet and run it into the neck of the cartridge, not past the neck and it should stay put when fired.  The neck draws it in against the bullet and the tooth helps hold it in place.  if the check stays in place through the leade it will be well swedged on as it runs the barrel.  By the by, the lyman checks do not have the burr as the hornaday have.  I have just gotten some lymans and have not yet fired them unsized.  One last point, I made up a jig out of a cut down case to operate my lee factory crimp die to make it a gas check swedge.  It works fine.   As far as sizing goes, the smallest you should size to is .001 over groove diamiter.  As far as how large can you go, well you can be a couple of thou over and it will work out ok,  Remember, if you do not size the bullets with the GC on it, do not run the base of the bullet past the neck. (bottle neck rifle cases)  The GC could fall off and become projictile #2 going downrange.  Not a good thing.... size.. gas checks run a bit large so you can get them on.  I use 30 cal gas checks on my .312 lee bullets, they are snug to get on but they go on.... I don't know how you could open up checks other than make a punch to open them up.
Pistol bullets rarely use gas checks.  You need them if you are going high velocity, high power.  As for #6 I think you should work on your load and you should slug your barrel and cylinders to see exactly what you are working with.  FYI Lyman makes a .41 cal GC mould.  JB

Offline Leftoverdj

gas check questions?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 02:58:28 PM »
#1 can a gas check be sized to any dia for that particular caliber?for example 50 cal gas check sized to .500 or .512

Depends.  Within reason, yes, but there are some exceptions. The .012 spread in your example sounds like too much for me, but I am not a .50 cal shooter.  There are GCs made specifically for .458 because .452 GCs are marginal.
#2 is the only way to seat a gas check to run it through the sizing die?if so then can you shoot a bullet "as cast" with a gas check.

It's the commonest and easiest.  I have a collection of oversized dies to crimp GCs without sizing the bullet.

If you are really lucky in your GCs and bullet shanks. I have some older Lyman GCs that are a force fit on bullets from one of my .357 moulds. Don't count on being that lucky
#4 how critical is it to have the bullet sized the exact bore dia?

It's critical that the bullet be OVER groove diameter. Throat diameter for choice,
#5 does the bullet mould used have to be specifically for gas checked bullets or can you check any cast bullet?i have lee bullet moulds.

Must be a GC design mould.
#6 am i just being paranoid and should i try some loads before worrying about the gas checks.all of my cast bullets or large caliber 45 and up.i am using some soft cast in my 480 revolver using a 2 step alox lubing method i still have more fouling than i think i should.scrubbing the bore is a real pain.don't want to have to do it with any rifles.

Under 1200-1300 fps PB do fine. Over, you need GCs or luck.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
gas check questions?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 03:06:38 PM »
Quote:
-------------------------------------
------------------------------------

Hornaday gas checks can be put on by hand.  i like to lube with liquid Alox, put the gas checks on, then re-lube.

Offline Leftoverdj

gas check questions?
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 08:29:15 PM »
Vern, you are lucky in your lot of GCs, or you have fat chambers. I have tried this a couple of times and came up with cartridges that would not chamber.

When you go to adding up the tolerances in shanks, alloy, brass, GCs, and chambers, the only reliable answer is "It all depends."
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Dusty Miller

gas check questions?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 07:51:49 AM »
JB sez gas checks are rarely used in pistols (I take that to mean handguns in general).  This is not the case, JB.  Many handgun reloaders use them to keep leading to a minimum and also they appear to aid in accuracy.  All my cast bullets use'm.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
gas check questions?
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 08:57:15 AM »
Quote:
--------------------------------------
Vern, you are lucky in your lot of GCs, or you have fat chambers. I have tried this a couple of times and came up with cartridges that would not chamber.

When you go to adding up the tolerances in shanks, alloy, brass, GCs, and chambers, the only reliable answer is "It all depends."
--------------------------------------

You may be right.  Most of my GC bullets are shot in one of two rifles, an 03A3 Springfield, and an M1894 Winchester.  I can successfully shoot my .30-06 reloads in at least two more rifles (another 03A3 and a pre-64 Model 70) but haven't tried them in any more rifles.

Offline Racepres

• Contributor
gas check questions?
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 01:10:49 PM »
FYI  I did make q "rube goldberg" tool to cut a shank onto Factory swaged lead bullets, only cause I have a Ruger SBH that leads terrible for some reason. W G.C. on, it does real well. I drive bullet and check thru a oversize Lee cast bullet size die to seat 'em .. doesn't seem to size ' em and I don't want it to.  Works for this one application, but is a poor answer to yer questions.... Marty

Offline Louis Farrugia

• http://www.dolphinforge.com
Re: gas check questions?
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 06:33:41 AM »
Quote from: adirondacker
ok i need some 411 on gas checks

#4 how critical is it to have the bullet  sized the exact bore dia?

any information would be greatly appreciated.thanks shawn

HI ADIRONDACKER  I USE A LUBE SIZER TO FIT GAS CHECKS AND THEY DON`T FALL OUT IN FLIGHT .
RE LEADING I MIX MY LEAD 2LEAD to 1 LINOTYPE AND NO LEADING AT ALL .
THE BULLET MOULDS MUST BE FOR GASCHECKS TO WORK BETTER
BEST REGARDS
LOUIS
MALTA EUROPE

Offline jgalar

gas check questions?
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 06:00:20 PM »
Good answers all. Your leading may not be solved by the gas check. Your bullets may be undersized or you may not be using enough lube.

Offline Robert

gas check questions?
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 05:10:09 AM »
What is your load?  If you are pushing them too fast...all of the above is 'moot'.
....make it count