Author Topic: Ruger sp101 vs. S&W model 64  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Terry1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Ruger sp101 vs. S&W model 64
« on: January 30, 2005, 10:58:21 AM »
How do these two guns compare on durability,accuracy, and concealability? Also, how much concealablity is lost with a 3" barrel over a 2"? Thanks

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 02:00:13 PM »
Not enough difference to really warrant a lot of consideration.
They are both fine weapons. I have read that the Ruger will
stand up to hot loads better over time, but I have not put that to
the test myself.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 02:35:10 PM »
I'd pick the one that felt better, and not worry about the other stuff.  What your hand likes and your eyes can pick up quicker will matter more than anything else.  Both are great guns, as witnessed by the sales over time.  The Smith has a better trigger, and can benefit more from a trigger job, the Ruger will outlive you, and probably your grandkids as well.  

As to carry, I've carried four and five inch barrels without any problem, barrels aren't the problem with concealment, the grips and the grip frame make a lot more difference to me, because I'm pretty small-framed.   On duty I used to carry a Smith 681, but never carried my own personally-owned 686 until I round-butted it, it made a lot of difference in the concealability.  My current favorite is an M-65 Smith with a 3-inch barrel, and it goes everywhere with me.  I can't shoot snubbies worth a foop, but a three-inch in my hands is as good as a four-inch, and carries a lot better.  Truth be told, a small auto probably carries better than anything, but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool revolver man, and always will be.  Either gun will serve you well, you have to decide which fits you best.  But packing a gun is the least of your worries, first you have to become a good shot, and train properly.  Getting to Carnegie Hall and being a good shot both require the same thing.....practice, practice, practice! :wink:

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 10:04:13 PM »
:cb2: Now I usually agree with Chris on about everything (he's pretty smart for such a young buck), however I'm gonna give the nod to the SP101. The only reason is because you have the option of carrying .357s as well as .38s. My wife has the 3" SP101 and loves it. Came in 1st in her tactical training class. She out shot a number of red-faced men with their automatics. (No one told her it might be difficult to hit drop targets at 40 yards with a 3" revolver, so she just went ahead and did it.)

If you have a good gun like a Smith, or Ruger you won't have any accuracy problems with a short barrel. (You will need a trigger job on the Ruger.) And if you can hide a 2" gun, then a 3" gun is no difficulty either.

Now I'm a big K-frame man, so if you want to move on up to a 3" M65 or a 2.5" 66 . . . that's a different story.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 05:33:59 AM »
The problem with snubbies isn't inherent accuracy, it's sight radius.  A very short sight radius makes for a gun that's difficult to shoot well.

I can shoot my Colt Detective Special very well -- but the Ruger SP101 I bought for my daughter is a lot easier to shoot.  That extra inch and a fraction makes a real difference.  The weight makes a difference, too -- the Ruger is a tad heavier than the Smith, and that helps control in rapid fire.

As you can tell, I'd go with the Ruger.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Laser grips
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 11:40:18 AM »
Since I've put CTC laser grips on my 101 (2 1/4) I have been able to shoot it very well at 7-15 yards.  I really like this little gun but some times wish I had the 3 inch barrel and 6 or 7 shots.  I'm looking at some of the stainless and scandium Smiths these days.  Whatever I get, it will have to have the laser grips available - I'm sold on them.  The 65 LS sure appeals to me.  I have small hands and I'm not too proud to go with such a gun.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 10:54:16 AM »
I find the 3" barrel (I think it's actually 3 1/16") is very easy to shoot accurately.  I was shooting palm-sized groups from the standing position on my 25-yard range.

And then, of course, I gave the gun to my daughter. :cry:

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 11:17:49 AM »
I once owned a SP101. I never really learned to like the way that revolver felt in my hand. This isn't a criticism of the Ruger, it certainly is a well made and reliable gun. Gun preferences are often quite subjective. I now have a 3" S&W Model 64. I really like that revolver. I think it is a great carry piece. 8)