Author Topic: Hi-Point 9mm Carbine  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Ramrod

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« on: January 30, 2005, 04:40:45 PM »
:D  I have not posted on this forum before today, but I do own a few guns that qualify as self defense, including a pre-ban CAR. and a couple of carbines and riot guns. My question here is about the High-Point. I bought this gun as a cheap plinker, not a bet your life type deal. But I was suprised at how accurate it is, and after about 1000 rounds I have not had any failures, and with only very casual cleaning. What do the folks here think about this weapon. The only problem I have come across so far is it whacks my cheek harder than a 9mm should, I think the stock has too much drop for the line of the sights.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline CornCod

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 01:55:57 PM »
The H-Point Carbine in 9mm is pretty good. I have had no stoppages with the exception of a dud Winchester FMJ.

Make sure the front sight is tighetened well with an allen screw, it tends to get a little loose.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 05:48:44 PM »
I JUST bought the Hi Point Carbine in 40 S&W today.  Took it out this afternoon and LOVE IT!  It is BY FAR the most fun gun to shoot in my safe.  I went through 20 rounds to check the grouping, and got 4 inches off-hand at 25 yards.  I also kept it under four inches at 50 yards from a rest.  I blew the other 30 rounds just "playing around".  Used the sites on the first round, then just kept pulling the trigger.  Straight out of the box, with rainier reloads...and not a single jam.  Not bad for a $170 "toy".

Tomorrow, my buddy and I are going  to mount a scope on it and chase down some cottontails.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline Qtip

• Avid Poster
Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 05:06:42 AM »
I've had a 9mm for a while now and love it. No jams and a hoot to shoot. I have a cheapo red-dot on it for sights. Works great. Two clips of SilverTips loaded up and it's within reach from the bed. I think they are a great buy. While at the range one day a few guys came and shot their AK's, AR's and Garands. They loved shooting the little 9.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
To God Alone Be The Glory!

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 05:25:43 AM »
I picked up one of Hi-Point's 9mm carbines at a gun show for $149.00 out the door. Out of the 4 people I've let shoot it 2 are going to buy one for themselves. Accuracy and reliability for such an inexpensive gun are amazing plus it is a hoot to shoot. I've even chosen it as my main home defense gun over my shotgun because of it's short barrel length allowing easy use in close quarters.

I like it!
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 12:31:03 PM »
I think the High-Point guns are an inexpensive and reliable choice for someone not willing to part with big bucks. I have two of the pistols and each are approaching 1,000 rds. with no failures of any kind. One of them I have not cleaned. I wanted to see how far it would go without a jam. I'm still waiting :grin:

Offline spispeza

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 04:24:00 PM »
i have 1.its been prety reliable so far.with all the different ammo that ive shot in it.a friend, I shot 3 deer with it over the years.max range for the deer was about 40 yards.use it to shoot prarie dogs,beavers.i plan on getting the 40sw next.i fell with the gun 1 time,broke the butt stock.i called the company to purchase a stock.i told them how it broke.the lady said no problem.its got a lifetime warranty.6 days later.the stock arrived.i put the stock on.it the molding didnt quite match up in a couple of places.but it works

Offline Bigdog57

• Avid Poster
Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 09:49:49 AM »
I bought the camo model, in 9mm.  Fairly accurate, very reliable.  Two aftermarket mags gave a bit of trouble, but are working better now.
I have a cheapo Chinese 4X scope and a cheap BSA Red Dot for it - both work well.  I removed the slotted barrel shroud and the front sight - makes it sleeker looking.
It does eveything that one buddy's Kel-Tec Sub2000 and another guy's Beretta will do, short of the high-cap magzines in theirs.  And at half or less the price!   8)

Offline Savage

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 04:45:00 AM »
Never owned one, but from what I read, they have been very reliable as range rental guns. Guess that says a lot!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline rimfirehunter

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 04:15:11 PM »
I dont own one but have fired at least 3 of the 9mm carbines in the last several years.  About as accurate as any other carbine chambered for 9mm and none gave any indication of feed/extraction problems.  One of these carbines had at least 2500 rds through it at that time and was still 100%.

Like the rest of the Hi-Point line they are inexpensive and butt ugly but the most important thing is that they work.  The only Hi-Point I have seen with problems was an early model .380 that didnt like Winchester JHP ammo, other than that it worked fine.

One fellow I know who has a H-P 9mm Carbine and Pistol has one complaint, the mags dont interchange.

rimfirehunter

Offline spraynpray

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 10:14:07 AM »
The Hi-Piont 995 is 100% worth it!  Its accurate (enough for me), you can really put a lot of lead down range in no time, and you can't beat the warranty.  For $150 you can't go wrong. :grin:
Happiness is a warm CETME.

Your deer rifle will never be banned... they will call it a terrorists sniper rifle first.

CETME owners group #164
http://members.createforum.net/index.php?mforum=entertainmentce

Offline coopershooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 05:50:19 PM »
what kind of accuracy are they giving at fifty yards? are the sights any good? how about the trigger? if everyone says they are accurate, they must be pretty shootable!

Offline spraynpray

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 07:26:19 PM »
The sights are like those on the CETME.
Happiness is a warm CETME.

Your deer rifle will never be banned... they will call it a terrorists sniper rifle first.

CETME owners group #164
http://members.createforum.net/index.php?mforum=entertainmentce

Offline Buckeye

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 03:36:06 PM »
Put a Hi-Point in 40 S&W in layaway today,shoulders like a dream..
I'd much rather hve a pistol caliber carbine for home def. than a M1 carbine , alot safer for my neighbors and family..
Heres agood article...
http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature0201.html
45/70 Government
Is the only Government
        I trust !

Offline sundogg1911

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 05:24:18 PM »
I bought one for my Wife.  She has back problems and the big bores were starting to bother Her back. I think I shoot it more than She does. it's a fun gun to shoot. It has the laser and brake on it, but the ghost ring sights are great! well worth the cash :roll:

Offline NWguy83

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 10:51:31 PM »
I bought one at the last gun show for $175 after tax. Accurate yet cheap and fun, a go-kart of guns. Don't nark it till you try it, unless for some reason you like guns with tons of recoil.

Offline Greysky

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.geocities.com/catman_56/Creative_Crafts.html
Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 06:34:31 AM »
I just purchased a Hi-Point 995 carbine yesterday from a local dealer. I stripped and cleaned this unique new firearm today. I can hardly wait to get to the range to try it out.  :-)

I just shake my head when I hear people knock inexpensive firearms. Sure, the HP9 lacks snob appeal. But in tests it outperformed the much more expensive Ruger P9.
If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.

Offline Savage

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 03:35:21 AM »
Buckeye,
I know this is an old thread, but thought after reading your post in this thread you might want this information.

Caliber Testing medium Penetration Condition of bullet
.223 Rem. gelatin only 9.5" two pieces
.223 Rem. wall & gelatin 5.5" * fragmented
.40S&W gelatin only 13.5" mushroomed
.40S&W wall & gelatin 22" * no deformation
.40S&W wall & gelatin 22" * no deformation
.40S&W wall & gelatin 19.5" * slight deformation
12 ga. wall & gelatin 27.5" mushroomed
* these measurements do not include penetration of the 6" wall.
CCI Gold Dot.

The link to the whole article:

http://www.olyarms.com/?page=223articles

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline phatspeed7x

This is one sweet little carbine!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2006, 11:37:51 AM »
I traded a NEF ultra singleshot rifle for one of these carbines tuesday. I got out today, and put a couple of rounds down range with it. This is one sweet little carbine!!! I havn't had this much fun shooting a gun since I got my very first .22LR when I was 18. Low recoil, light weight, and a cool look make this the perfect plinking gun, or hunting varmints at close range. I told my friend about this gun, and he hadn't heard of it. I'm going to have to let him shoot it this spring, and I'm sure he'll buy one. Worth every penny. My gun shop sells them for $169.99.
Adam Hanson

Marlin Model 60 .22LR
Mossberg Int. 702 plinkster .22LR
NEF Pardner 20GA limited edition
Ruger P89 9mm
Winchester Model 1000 air-rifle
K98 mauser 8mm with ATI stock

Offline S.S.

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 05:14:50 AM »
I have honestly never heard anyone complain about them.
They seem to be reliable, accurate (enough), cheap to shoot.
Not Too ugly, just ugly enough to still love. And reasonably priced.
I now want one in 7.62x25 or .45 ACP though. A fun shooter
that could be used more seriously if need be.
Inexpensive is not a bad thing! My favorite 9mm handgun is a
Maadi Brigadier from Egypt... $129.00 about 10 years ago,
Never had it jam, ever! and it will put all its 9 rounds in the X ring
of a standard silhouette target at 25 meters. How could I ask any more
of a handgun!
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Plink

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 11:28:26 PM »
When they were first becoming popular, a friend I used to shoot with a lot bought one. He showed up on and off for years with it and it never had a problem. I love my Marlin Camp 9 and it's turned out to be one of the most reliable guns I've ever owned, but his Hi Point gave up nothing to it there. If I was in the market for an affordable 9mm carbine again, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
Mike

We have enough youth. We need a fountain of SMART!

Offline NWguy83

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2006, 08:00:11 PM »
Does anyone own/has shot Hi-Point's news .40 S&W carbine? If so, is it just like the 9mm carbine or are there any problems with it? Because I am considering buying one to go with my 9mm carbine. My dad wants one in 10mm lol.

Offline countryrebel8174

• Avid Poster
Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 08:40:56 PM »
i had a hi point comp 9mm. it was actually a pretty good gun espeacially for the price. the only problem i had with it was trying to feed it hollow points. it would eat a couple of em but a few shots into it , it would jam. i dunno about the carbine, as i have never owned own but i wouldnt hesitate buying another hi point product.

country rebel
they can try and take my guns....but i aint givin' em up until all my shells are gone or i quit breathing.

Offline phatspeed7x

New aftermarket stock from ATI...
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2006, 05:41:36 PM »
Has anyone seen the new Hi Point 9mm carbine stock from ATI. It makes the Hi Point look just like the Beretta carbine. Looks pretty neat. I'm going to get one soon for my Hi point.

www.atigunstocks.com
Adam Hanson

Marlin Model 60 .22LR
Mossberg Int. 702 plinkster .22LR
NEF Pardner 20GA limited edition
Ruger P89 9mm
Winchester Model 1000 air-rifle
K98 mauser 8mm with ATI stock

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
Load it with CorBon's 100 gr PowRBall ammo
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2006, 03:32:05 PM »
For reliabiity and best stopping power. Ball ammo doesn't amount to a hill of beans, in 9mm or .45, when it comes to stopping men with body hits.
Deactivated 04-22-06 for rules violations after repeated warnings.

Offline S.S.

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2006, 07:34:33 AM »
Eastern Front WWII thousands of German Soldiers were armed with the Mp38/40 9mm smg. Soviets were armed with PPsh41's firing 7.62x25
Both firing FMJ rounds. Hundreds of thousands dead...
True that a SMG allows multiple hits in short order, but The over all majority of German casualties did not receive multiple hits. The Soviets did not keep records to the same level as the Germans so their casualty
reports were more simple. Killed-Wounded thats about the extent of it.
Too many variables for blanket statements.

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
.22lr's kill thousands every year.
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2006, 12:04:17 PM »
The cold killed thousands on the Russian front. Wanna wait for your attacker to freeze to death?  :-) Stopping power and lethality are only DISTANTLY related. I can stop you cold without killling you, by slamming a ball bat across your gut.  I can stop you by smashing your testicles, too.  Those who claim that shock "doesn't exist" need to get their testicles squeezed real good sometime. No blood loss, no loss of vital organ function, so why are you lying there on the ground, hmm?

Offline S.S.

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 04:42:11 AM »
Well Slink, I am not sure how we went from the Eastern front to having my testicles squeezed, But Hey, I'm all for it. I will get my wife to experiment and we will get back to you with the results! The last time
it happened I don't remember it stopping me though? I seem to remember things really getting started afterwards? And it wasn't the floor I was laying on?
You are a riot man! The comic relief of the bearded one's website!
The Court Jester of Graybeard's realm ! Keep it up, It is quite entertaining!

Offline S.S.

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 04:56:51 AM »
Lost my train of though there for a moment contemplating the mission I have for my wife!  Anyhow, I just saw in a magazine a drop in synthetic
stock for the Hi-Point that makes it look sorta' like the Beretta Storm.
May be fun to play with.

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
I didn't say "caressed", clown.
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 05:14:34 PM »
If you'd watched the TaeKwandoists practice nut-rips, you'd almost puke at the thought.