Author Topic: Help me out guys, toss me a bone...  (Read 4011 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Help me out guys, toss me a bone...
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2005, 08:11:17 AM »
For what it is worth Dali those three do not seem to hang around in this neck of the woods anymore anyway so I do not think it is much of a issue anymore though at one time it was. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2005, 08:13:36 AM »
Quote from: leverfan
that "ignore" button is still the cure-all.
That be very true, say Dali Llama. :-)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2005, 08:14:01 AM »
Brett wrote:
Remember it takes two to tango.

This is a public forum not heaven guys.  
No truer words have ever been spoken, concur Dali Llama.

Well no actually it isn't. Obviously you haven't read the GBO Terms of Use Statement everyone had to check saying they had read before registering. Here is what it says in that regard.

Not a Public access site, GBO is not a public access site and is not governed by any laws other than those set forth by the Federal Government, the State of Alabama and the State of Texas. GBO does not recognize anyone's given right to use or access the information contained on the GBO site, contrary to such all information located on the GBO servers is considered to be copyrighted "Intellectual Property" and therefore its use and access are subject to the author's permission. All GBO members agree to give the GBO administration sole discretion as to who can and can not view their material while it is located on the GBO servers. GBO retains the right to refuse access without notice or explanation and for any length of time to include indefinitely.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2005, 08:16:53 AM »
Quote from: jh45gun
For what it is worth Dali those three do not seem to hang around in this neck of the woods anymore anyway so I do not think it is much of a issue anymore though at one time it was. Jim
Yes, those be true words, say Dali Llama.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2005, 08:20:42 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Brett wrote:
Remember it takes two to tango.

This is a public forum not heaven guys.  
No truer words have ever been spoken, concur Dali Llama.

Well no actually it isn't. Obviously you haven't read the GBO Terms of Use Statement everyone had to check saying they had read before registering. Here is what it says in that regard.

Not a Public access site, GBO is not a public access site and is not governed by any laws other than those set forth by the Federal Government, the State of Alabama and the State of Texas. GBO does not recognize anyone's given right to use or access the information contained on the GBO site, contrary to such all information located on the GBO servers is considered to be copyrighted "Intellectual Property" and therefore its use and access are subject to the author's permission. All GBO members agree to give the GBO administration sole discretion as to who can and can not view their material while it is located on the GBO servers. GBO retains the right to refuse access without notice or explanation and for any length of time to include indefinitely.
OK, perhaps more apt way to state the obvious would be "This is an internet forum, not heaven, guys," respond Dali Llama. :-)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2005, 08:23:23 AM »
Dali:

It may not be heaven....but...it sure is a-lot better than anyother place out there for us Handi-holics :wink:

Mac

Post edited for stupid typo :oops:
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2005, 08:25:20 AM »
Quote from: Mac11700
Dali:

It may not be heaven....but...it sure is a-lot better than anyother place out there for us Hand-holics :wink:

Mac
What do "Hand-holics" mean, ask Dali Llama? :?

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2005, 08:34:03 AM »
Ah, well,  I'm sure I read that when I first signed on GB, but that was quite some time ago and my memory isn't what it used to be.

The point I was trying to make is that we are not always going to see things eye to eye with one another all the time but let's try to be civil about it.   And when a moderator does his job accept his call and move on.  Furthermore, can we please stop this 'He started it!', 'So and so said this and so and so said that!, Whaa!, Whaa!, Whaa! school yard BS.

By the way today is groundhog day... I hope somebody shot the little bugger before he had a chance to see his shadow.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2005, 08:35:05 AM »
Quote from: Leverfan
..."9mm beats 45 ACP for defense" ...

NOT SO.

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:

:wink:
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2005, 08:43:58 AM »
1. You can't teach common sense to someone who ain't got it.

You guys are saying the same thing 6 different ways.

Now let's get back on topic shall we?  If ya ain't got a bone for GB.....then go out and buy one.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2005, 08:54:44 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
Quote from: Mac11700
Dali:

It may not be heaven....but...it sure is a-lot better than anyother place out there for us Hand-holics :wink:

Mac
What do "Hand-holics" mean, ask Dali Llama? :?

Drop in on the NEF Centerfire forum...and look around...you'll see the meaning and the comraderee it brings... :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Brett

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2005, 09:19:57 AM »
Hey Mac, ah you seem to have left the 'ii off of the end of Handi which could give anyone reading your post an entirely wrong impression.  :D  :-D

Offline BamBams

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2005, 09:45:35 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Brett - I was a guy who came up with the wrong idea.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2005, 10:05:21 AM »
Quote from: FWiedner

NOT SO.

It does if the 45 is at home and the 9m is on your person!  :)  :)  :)  Even a 22 fits that bill considering.

Offline Brett

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2005, 10:08:08 AM »
Post deleted then re-posted with changes for clarification.

Offline Brett

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2005, 10:13:46 AM »
Quote from: Brett
Hey Mac, ah you seem to have left the 'ii off of the end of Handi which could give anyone reading your post an entirely wrong impression.

Quote from: BamBams
Thanks for clearing that up Brett - I was a guy who came up with the wrong idea.

Of course this could explain why some peoples keyboards are sticky.  

Disclaimer: The above statement is not aimed toward or meant to insinuate nor represent anyone real or imaginary who is now or ever was a participant of the GBO forum. The views of this individual poster are not necessarily shared by Graybeard nor the management of GBO.

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2005, 11:03:20 AM »
Quote from: jh45gun
Quote from: FWiedner

NOT SO.

It does if the 45 is at home and the 9m is on your person!  :)  :)  :)  Even a 22 fits that bill considering.

Well, there is that, I suppose... :oops: :oops:  :wink:
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2005, 11:50:02 AM »
Glad to see the mood lighten in here.  

GB, you're not really the one in need of advice, as I see it.  Folks need to act in a civil, mature manner.  The rumbling on this forum is pretty easy to trace to an epicenter of just a few folks, and I expect they'll shape up soon enough.  At least, when the weather warms up for everyone, they'll go outside to blow off steam.  A few beers or an hour or two on a jet ski could solve almost as much as using the "ignore" button, if folks would just try one or the other.
NRA life member

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2005, 11:56:04 AM »
Quote from: leverfan
Glad to see the mood lighten in here.  

GB, you're not really the one in need of advice, as I see it.  Folks need to act in a civil, mature manner.  The rumbling on this forum is pretty easy to trace to an epicenter of just a few folks, and I expect they'll shape up soon enough.  At least, when the weather warms up for everyone, they'll go outside to blow off steam.  A few beers and an hour or two on a jet ski could solve almost as much as using the "ignore" button, if folks would just try one or the other.

a few beers and a jetski, eh? i'd rather not combine the two! :)
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2005, 12:34:21 PM »
Quote from: kevin.303
a few beers and a jetski, eh? i'd rather not combine the two! :)

Point well taken, and post corrected to better show intent! :D
NRA life member

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2005, 02:35:18 PM »
Matt, I just have to say most of the folks around here are a good group of folks and if them having guns scare you then you would be scared ####less on some of the other forums!  :roll:

Offline BamBams

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2005, 02:45:38 PM »
I know of a Glock forum that would scare the heck out of anybody.  Sheeesh.  

Put me in with the crowd that is getting really tired of all the crap.  Back in the late 1980's I was a BBS Sysop.  Anybody remember those?  Well, if I had a repeat troublemaker, I'd just type a couple command lines, and poof, no more troublemaker.  Everybody behaved because nobody wanted to be the next guy to go "poof."

One day, I got REALLY clever and created a "fake" BBS that looked exactly like the real BBS. When I had a trouble maker log on, he would automatically be sent to the "fake" BBS.  All kinds of weird stuff would happen to him.  It would look like his modem was messing up.  He'd page the Sysop and nothing he typed would come out exactly right.  My script would accuse him of being drunk, etc etc.  His command prompt (this was the DOS days) would flash "I'm an Idoit" for about a millisecond everytime he hit the enter key for something.  We'd sit there and laugh for hours.  I still have that old software too!  hehehe

The above should give ya some idea how nice GB is being.

But the bottom line is:

You cannot teach a person common sense.

They either have it, or their doomed to be idiots all their lives.  There are enough threads around here already to prove that point I believe. I'm with Matt - deactivate the troublemakers - end of problem - life goes on.  I guess it's a good thing for some folks that GB decided to bust his butt to help ALL parties involved.  I don't think I'd have had that kind of patience.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Num_1_Dad

• http://www.tuxrules.com/penguin
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2005, 02:50:00 PM »
Quote from: Num_1_Dad
One option would be to allow each user to moderate there own topic, the MOD can be found here:

http://www.phpbb2.de/dload.php?action=file&file_id=398

or go with the "Ban MOD", which could be found here:

http://www.phpbb2.de/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5

Just my .02 cents....

I agree with the "ignore" option, or the 2 I listed earlier.
Visit my forum at www.tuxrules.com/penguin to get the latest php forum board's with built in MOD's!
Or my forum www.tuxrules.com/discussion

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2005, 03:22:35 PM »
Thanks Matt, GB has enough stress right now, please keep any more from him, until he feels better at least. I myself have found use of the "ignore" button and I thnk it's great. If there are repeat problem children here I for one request you make them go POOF!!. If banning their IP is the answer, so be it (I think I understand the concept but I am not what one would consider a computer person).  Best of luck in keeping this place the great place it has been, and "Off with their Heads!!!", in the christian spirit of course :-D ....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2005, 04:13:03 PM »
Matt, it's the one that says power-just push in on it. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2005, 04:16:02 PM »
Be Verrry verrrrry quiet :P

Offline jgalar

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2005, 02:43:37 AM »
Just a suggestion

If you feel that you were verbally attacked by a poster a PM could be sent to the moderator. If the moderator believes the posting could be considered an attack he would send the complaint on to the admins for resolution. If you feel a posting by a moderator is harsh the PM should be sent to the admins.

Or a middleman could be set up to insulate the admins from being constantly bothered by bickering. Someone chosen by the admins to filter out the attacks from disagreements.

Example of disagreement:
Sir, I beg to differ on your last posting. I have been using X for quite some time with good success.

Example of attack:
Sir, it is obvious that someone urinated in your family gene pool. Only an idiot would use X.

Offline Num_1_Dad

• http://www.tuxrules.com/penguin
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2005, 02:47:41 AM »
Quote from: Matt

I will not modify the forum software because of such behavior. I will add IP address to the BANNED IP list and thus making it impossible to visit the GBO web site period not just the forums only as GB does.

With dial-up accounts that have dynamically generated IP address's, that could end up banning more than just the intended person...Ban one person, all they would have to do is disconnect and reconnect and they would be back in.. and the next person connecting might end up with the banned address and not be able to get in..some of us still live in forgotten parts of the world that the big companies refuse to give high speed internet  :shock:  :twisted:
Visit my forum at www.tuxrules.com/penguin to get the latest php forum board's with built in MOD's!
Or my forum www.tuxrules.com/discussion

Offline BamBams

« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2005, 05:06:39 AM »
#1 Dad is right.  That's the whole problem with IP banning.  If you ban the last octet, the dynamic user probably gets back in as soon as his IP lease expires - anywhere from 1-7 days.  So what does the admin do?  He bans the 3rd octet also, and the next thing he knows, he's banned 58 people. LOL!  

Not all high speed users have static IP addresses though.  I have DSL and chose to go dynamic at 1.5Mbs - just in case someone bans me from a BBS - just kidding. *smiles*  Contacting service providers can do wonders in dealing with Internet troublemakers.  Failing all else, there's this guy in New York named "Vinnie."
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2005, 05:23:40 AM »
Is Vinnie the guy that talks funny and has his nose over on one side?
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington