Author Topic: One more Browning hi-power question  (Read 460 times)

Offline Terry1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
One more Browning hi-power question
« on: January 31, 2005, 05:21:11 AM »
Whats the difference in the models? The only ones I can see are cosmetic(finish,grips, and sights). Are they the same inside? Or are the cheaper ones made with infereior parts. I like the matte finish and grips of the markIII, but if they don't function the same or are made cheaper, than I will get the standard. I tried unsuccesfully to get a hold of Browning to ask them these same questions. Thanks for all your time.

Offline PeterF.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 06:20:26 AM »
I believe it's mostly a difference in finishes and minor parts (grips, sights, hammer, etc.); the innards should all be the same.  It seems the .40 cal's are a little bigger/more robust (or at least heavier).  A highly-polished gun (the "Standard" model) can reasonably be expected to be more expensive because of the additional hand-labor required. The walnut grips are traditional and pretty, but the plastic ones are much more ergonomic; and there are aftermarket wood grips that are even better.  In any case, the Hi-Power is very slim for a double-stack gun ... and, being single-action, the reach to the trigger is minimal.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 12:04:18 PM »
They've changed the position of the trigger?  I haven't played with any of the newer ones in quite a while.  The old ones made everyone think they were double action just because of the trigger position.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline PeterF.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 05:14:17 PM »
I agree it LOOKS like many double actions (especially if you think a single-action trigger should look like a 1911), but the Browning design has been around since 1935.  In any case (and, no, it hasn't moved), it's still a short reach.