Author Topic: For Beginers???  (Read 794 times)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
For Beginers???
« on: January 31, 2005, 07:18:14 AM »
I know a lot of folks consider single shot shotguns to be something to start a kid on. Doesn't cost much, and will launch a charge of shot thru the air.
  My son started with a NEF youth 20 ga. but as soon as he felt he could handle it he switched to a 12 ga. Mainly cause everything I shoot is 12 ga. While shooting with the NEF 12 ga. he now has he has never missed with it. He has taken several dozen tree rats and his best shooting was done on a liter of foxes that were giving us a hard time around the homestead.
  A chicken came up missing and we saw fox tracks so we went looking. He found the den about 40 yards from the hen house through the woods. Just like a drive thru at McDonalds. Shortly after he found the den he went out there one day after school and found four of the kits out playing in the sun. I was in the house messing on the computer when I heard four shots about as fast as someone with a pump gun would have snapped them off. As I got up he came running across the yard saying that he had baged all four.
  He says he wants a pump or a double barrel but he shoots the nef so well I really hate to see him get something else. I was wondering how many of you COULD afford something else but shoot the H&R/ NEF for some other reason?

thanks,
               RustyinFla <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
For Beginers???
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 10:49:43 AM »
How many here could afford (or already have) a semi-auto, pump, double, Over/under, or bolt and prefer to use these fine little single shots? I would put my money on each and every one of use here. We use these guns because we like them, they shoot great and are fun to shoot as well. For the most part, buying a single because its ALL you can afford has gone by. These fine guns are now purchased because we LIKE them!!!! If you read some of these posts you will see references to Weatherby's, Brownings, Franchi's and other assorted "high end" guns that now sit in the gun cabinet most of the time. This love of a fine single shot comes with age and experience for the most part but you will find young guys here who are ahead of their time and have gone past that desire to shoot many times at the same target or game or that desire to have the most expensive gun on the range. It's GREAT to go to a range or joins others at camp with one of these little singles and tag out with one well placed shot. It seems your son can really shoot his gun now, I see no reason to spend more just for what may amount to vanity....Good Luck to you and your son, it looks as if you raised a great shot....I doubt if he would have been such a good shot if you had started him with a semi-auto or pump with a lot of shells to throw around at game and waste, remember,  "One shot-one kill"....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
For Beginers???
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 01:31:22 PM »
"Some prefer full auto which spits out a lot of lead, I still prefer one to the head"  - U.S. Army Sniper School

This is a motto I live by.  I've been in to single shot guns for a long time, since I left the Army.  I like taking an inexpensive shooter into the woods and out doing my hunting companions with their pumps and autos.  I have had all of the high end guns and they are nice.  I still have some of them but for hunting it's getting to be a H&R more and more all the time.  I plan on turkey hunting with one this spring, I have been rabbit hunting with one for years, and I plan on shooting all my deer this year with a Tracker II or a Huntsman.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
For Beginers???
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 03:55:03 PM »
I think MSP Ret is correct in his assumption that most of the guys around here could afford a semi or pump. If you can afford a computer and the time to play on it you can afford a gun much more pricey than the Pardner. If your son wants another gun ask him why. If he has a good reason and has earned the money to pay for it then let him get it. He will probably buy a few more. He'll buy the pumps, SxS, OU maybe even an auto or two and he'll enjoy them all. Do him a favor though. Stick the old pardner away for him, because eventually he'll come full circle like most of us have here and long for the days of his youth. A simpler time with a simple gun. If you don't hold on to it he'll likely sell or trade it since he thinks he's graduated to better guns. It's a story the guys that have been around here a while have all heard. "I wish I still had that sweet little 20ga" If he's shooting as well as you say and he's enjoying shooting and the outdoors do all you can to encourage that. Just don't let him get rid of his single.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
For Beginers???
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 04:13:24 PM »
Top 10 reasons to hunt with an inexpensive single shot:

#10) A break open single shot is about as strong and simple a design as you will find in a firearm, which means less things to break, freeze or  jamb.
#9) It's real easy to tell if there is a round still in the chamber.
#8) Much easier to clean than an auto-loader or pump.
#7) Easier to unload when crossing a fence line or climbing into a tree stand.
#6) If a round fails to fire the first time you pull the trigger all you have to do is thumb back the hammer and try again.
#5) You tend to choose your shots more carefully because you know you only have one round in the gun.  
#4)Dropping a Pardner into the marsh doesn't cause instant cardiac arrest like dropping a Browning or Berretta auto does.
#3) You can change gauges in less time than it takes to change your sox and you still have the same familiar trigger and cheek weld because you are using the same stock and receiver.
#2) You have money left over to buy ammo after paying for the gun.
And the number one reason to hunt with an inexpensive single shot... that ear to ear grin you'll be wearing when you are the only one in your hunting party to limit out and they are all lugging auto's and pumps costing several times what your gun did.   :-D  :-D  :-D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
beginer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 11:31:23 AM »
Brett,

To phrase it another way It's also  easy to feel rather smug knowing that you got your limit with the single shot. It must have been the skill of the man behind the trigger.

Rusty <><

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
For Beginers???
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 12:46:47 PM »
I have never shouldered a pump or auto that fits me like an H&R.
I shoot much better with a single.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
Beginer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 03:49:04 AM »
Well my son read this post while I wasn't around. He left me a note to tell ya'll that he's not getting rid of the H&R shotgun(s) "either one of them" he says. I had forgotten about another one we have that has an 18 1/2" barrel.

Looks like he's a convert. Now he wants a .30-30 Pardner. At least the kid has good taste.

Rusty <><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
For Beginers???
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 04:13:43 AM »
Good for R.I.F. and also for your son...he does have great taste and om beyond his years. That 30-30 Pardner is truley a classic that would be right at home at any hunting camp. I am sure it will bring home the bacon (or venison). I am very happy with mine. Whenever guys show up at camp with expensive guns, no matter what the action or caliber, everyone is always drawn to the little single shot Handi's!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
For Beginers???
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 10:39:34 AM »
That's young man with good taste in guns. Do any thing you can to encourage him.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
Beginer
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 12:54:05 PM »
To MSP... I think I have your pistol. If what I gather is correct, you are a retired Mass State Police officer. I purchased a used S&W M65 3" several years ago that is stamped MASS S.P. on the backstrap. Thanks for taking such good care of it. It shoots great.

Rusty <><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
For Beginers???
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 01:00:48 PM »
Great Rusty!!, is thet the stainless 6 shot in .357 Mag?....<><.... :grin:

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
Beginers
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 01:15:49 PM »
YEAH THAT"S THE ONE!!!

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
For Beginers???
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 06:45:33 PM »
hi rusty -

i favor my 410 synthetic handi over anything for fun shooting, but, i would not hesitate to get my son a side by side or O/U shot gun if he was ready for one.

on the other hand, i would not buy him a pump or autoloader.

in my humble opinion, there is nothing sweeter than a 410 side by side with double triggers when you are out on a cool sunday morning in full dress going after bob whites. the morning fog has already burned off, but you can still see the dogs huff and puff little clouds as they cover ground. you and your boy bag your limit and then go home to talk about the day.

my youngest son is becoming quite the wingshooter. i would not let a few bucks either way deprive myself of the time we spend together hunting birds. if he wants a O/U, or SxS, or Pardner, get it and hunt with him as much as possible, as soon as he goes off to college, or get's married, all that will stop except on occasion.

the gun your son hunts with is just one part of the whole experience regardless of gauge or barrels. my sons' first gun was a 410 pardner, the first time out, he bagged a bunch of bobwhites, and he prefers his pardner to any of my brownings, poli's, parkers, or guild guns.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
Beginer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 08:09:35 PM »
I used to hunt over dogs when I was younger. We had German Shorthairs, but there's not much habitat for quail around here any more that I have access to. I did have an Iver Johnson side by side back then but I didn't shoot it much. My son's first gun was a 20 ga. Pardner, but after he got big enough he wanted a 12 ga. like mine. The only reason I had the 12 was because mine left the Sheriff's office with me. I've always considered a .410 to be a true expert's gun. I'm afraid I'm not that good.
   I did read an interesting article not long ago about using Marin .444 shells in your .410 shotgun. This guy reloads them as any shotgun shell and doesn't resize them. He uses a plain cardboard over the shot to hold it in. It sounded like a pretty neat idea. It almost made me wish I HAD a .410.

Rusty <><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
For Beginers???
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2005, 01:34:59 AM »
:D , S.G. you paint a pretty picture, for a minute I was there!!! It sure is pretty...

and Rusthinfla I can solve that problem for you...BUY ONE!!!, these little singles in that little .410 caliber are real sweet, I have one and everyone that picks it up falls in love with it...or, if you still feel the .410 is a bit to small get yourself a 28 gauge, do it now!!!....<><.... :grin:

Offline Markus

• Moderators
For Beginers???
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2005, 07:02:33 AM »
"....brownings, poli's,parkers or guild guns"

My gun safe is green with envy. Forgive my ignorance as I am but a simple country boy, but what is a poli?

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
RE: For Beginners??
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 12:46:15 PM »
I just didn't get it!  I had my NEW 870 Junior out of the case a dozen times showing it off.  Then the light came on, I hated the way it felt and I didn't take it out of the case again until I sold it back to Gander Mountain.  Yeah, I know, really STUPID AND EXPENSIVE.  It cost me $120, but now when I open the case and take out my shotgun, I like the feel of what's in my hands.  Yes, it's an NEF/HR 12ga.  I am excited as "H" to get out with it and have some fun.  Price was the reason I bought my first one, years ago.  It has long since been sold to my brother-in-law, who ended up selling it.  It was a sweet 12ga w/28in barrel and mod. choke.  Now that I have another, I can assure you it will not be sold.  It's here to stay.  I am quite sure I will never purchase another pump or semi.  The grandsons are gonna learn the way I learned.  ONE SHOT ONE KILL
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
For Beginers???
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2005, 04:31:51 PM »
Throwing that old H&R up to your shoulder feels like going home , don't it

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
Beginers
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 07:58:20 PM »
Funny how we come full circle isn't it?

Rusty <><