Author Topic: 10/22 Scope needed  (Read 467 times)

Offline territup33

• Trade Count: (0)
10/22 Scope needed
« on: January 31, 2005, 04:08:28 PM »
I know this has been posted because I have read the old threads, but I am frustrated. I just got a new 10/22 stainless w/22" barrel. I have already ordered the trigger upgrades from cheapgunparts. I finally decided that I didn't need a great scope for a 22 so I ordered a Simmons 3-9X32 Scope in silver. Now I am told that the scope is not made anymore from the supplier. I decided fine, I will spend the extra and get a Leopold. After looking at Leopold's website, I see they have a new rimfire scope that just came out but nobody carries it yet. I don't want to pay the big bucks for a scope when there is a new model ready to sell. The next question is, I thought I should get around a 32mm lense. I see that some of the guys are using 40 - 50 mm lenses. Doesn't this throw off the distance more if you are sighted in at 50 yards. This is just a plinking gun for me to play with as I would rather put more of my money in new guns or the better guns I have like my Weatherby. If a scope can be moved easily from the 22 to a 30/06, I would consider a better scope.
Thanks for the help. :eek:

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: 10/22 Scope needed
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 07:10:21 PM »
Quote from: territup33
I know this has been posted because I have read the old threads, but I am frustrated. I just got a new 10/22 stainless w/22" barrel. I have already ordered the trigger upgrades from cheapgunparts. I finally decided that I didn't need a great scope for a 22 so I ordered a Simmons 3-9X32 Scope in silver. Now I am told that the scope is not made anymore from the supplier. I decided fine, I will spend the extra and get a Leopold. After looking at Leopold's website, I see they have a new rimfire scope that just came out but nobody carries it yet. I don't want to pay the big bucks for a scope when there is a new model ready to sell. The next question is, I thought I should get around a 32mm lense. I see that some of the guys are using 40 - 50 mm lenses. Doesn't this throw off the distance more if you are sighted in at 50 yards. This is just a plinking gun for me to play with as I would rather put more of my money in new guns or the better guns I have like my Weatherby. If a scope can be moved easily from the 22 to a 30/06, I would consider a better scope.
Thanks for the help. :eek:
...........I would wait on the new version of the 3-9EFR AO Leupold.....UNLESS you find a good price at closeout on the regular 3-9EFRAO.......they work great on rimfires and the lack of click adjustment doesn't bother me on my field guns in rimfire and with a little pratice the larger objective scopes high mounting won't make a big difference in the field and hunting use.....I have a 3-9EFR on a couple of guns and a 4.5x14-50mm on a high cheekpiece stocked HB that works very well and accurately in use.......on a heavy gun the large objectives don't mess up the balance or looks IF the stock and your neck/body build still let you get good cheek weld to the stock with the higher mounted scope.........it's very hard to go wrong with Leupold scopes......and the new Zeiss conquest with AO/side mount will adjust down to 30yds and is working well on another rimfire.........with burris Zee rings the scope can be moved and RESIGHTED between two guns.....the Leupold weaver type is also supposed to do well on moving......but all need reshooting/resighting upon moving........ime...good luck and good shooting!!

Offline Zachary

Re: 10/22 Scope needed
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 02:25:43 AM »
Quote from: territup33
I see that some of the guys are using 40 - 50 mm lenses. Doesn't this throw off the distance more if you are sighted in at 50 yards.

No.  The size of the objective lens does not "throw off the distance more if you are sighted in at 50 yards."

If you plan on shooting your .22LR at distances of 50 yards (or even less), then you just need to make sure that the scope that you get is parallaxed at 50 yards, but the size of the objective lens has nothing to do with it.

The specific leupold that was mentioned has an AO which, on this model, can be parallaxed to 50 yards and less.  This specific leupold is an excellent scope, but kinda pricey, but it is nice and compact and should balance very well on any rifle, which should be helpful if you actually hunt with it.

There are other scopes out there with AOs that are similarly parallaxed at 50 yards or less, some as close as 10 yards, some even 8 yards. Take a look at some of the Bushnell Elite 4200s, 3200s, and even Trophy lines that have AOs.  I know that many people use these scopes on rimfires (which actually are more brutal on a scope because of the additional reverse kick forward) and thus make great rimfire scopes too.  The only thing is that I personally don't want a scope too long on a rimfire if I  am going to be hunting with it, but I don't mind if it's going to be mounted on a gun that is just going to be used for target practice and plinking.

Zachary

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
10/22 Scope needed
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 09:34:05 PM »
Zakary, please explain this 22 rimfire reverse kick to me. I've never heard of this on a rimfire. Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline territup33

10/22 Scope needed
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 04:16:17 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. After some time off I was able to make a decision. I will take the 3-9X32 Bushnell Sportview off my 30-06 and move it to the 22LR. I ordered a new Mueller scope for the 30-06. Buying toys can be frustrating but that is the kind of frustration I can handle.