Author Topic: Curious about night-vision products  (Read 569 times)

Offline FWiedner

• Trade Count: (0)
Curious about night-vision products
« on: February 01, 2005, 11:46:23 AM »
Does anyone hunt at night?

I'm curious about night-vision rifle scopes.   I've looked at a couple, and the product desciptions are interesting, but the ones I've read about all seem to have a real short eye-relief.

If I were to buy something for use, I probably wouldn't be putting it on my 10/22, know what I mean?

I'd probably be shopping in the Gen 1 or Gen 2 market, because I don't really want to spend thousands of dollars on an occassional use item.

Anyone here got any expertise in this area?

Thanks for your help!

:D
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 02:35:32 PM »
FWiedner,

Those night vision scopes are really expensive for sure.  I love to hunt hogs at night with an Optronics Night Blaster spotlight that just snaps on the scope tube.  Mine is the 6V.  I also use a little accessory that attaches to the eyepiece of the scope and illuminates the reticle.  Makes it glow gold and you can adjust the brightness.  Here is a link for the Night Blaster.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0006362224707a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=night+blaster&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.22&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=night+blaster&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml

Dang, that is a long link.  Run time for mine is 20-25 minutes solid.  That is a long time for hunting at night.

Dave 8)
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 11:42:33 AM »
That looks like an excellent unit, Dave.  I've seen that one before and might check it out.

State game laws direct that for a device to be used on public land, it cannot project any visible light or shape onto the target for hunting, so since a lot of my hunting is on public lands I guess that puts me in search of "green light".

Honestly, I'd probably buy something dopey and expensive just because it's "cool", but I have to be a little bit practical, or I'll never be able to explain it to "You-know-who".
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 11:56:00 AM »
"You-know-who".   Ah, She Who Must Be Obeyed. :)

I am taking the Night Blaster on the Hogfest hunt.

Dave 8)
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline Catfish

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 06:16:37 AM »
I have a first gen. Russian scope on a .30-30 and not real impressed with it. Max. range with IR on dark nites is 150 yrds. or less, behond that you just can`t see well enough to shoot. I was told by a guy that sell the stuff not to use the rifle scopes for nite hunting, but to get a good pair of nite vision gogles and use a lazer on the gun. That way you don`t have to take your eyes off the game to go from spotting to shooting.

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 06:38:49 AM »
That's useful information on the 1st Gen device, I appreciate it.

I thought about using a laser, but I ran into the "...it cannot project any visible light or shape..." issue in the game regs.

Does domestically produced 1st Gen gear perform any differently/better/worse that the Russian stuff?

Any experience with 2nd Gen equipment out there?  3rd and 4th Gen are just totally out of my range.