Author Topic: Need help with gun choice.  (Read 752 times)

Offline Terry1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Need help with gun choice.
« on: February 02, 2005, 03:44:57 AM »
I want to get an automatic pistol to be used for in home self defense and target shooting. I had originally decided on a Browning Hi-power 9MM, but I am now also considering a Kimber customII. What are the pluses and negatives for both these guns and calibers? A friend told me that the 45acp. is not flat shooting enough for a target gun. Is this true? Thanks

Offline PeterF.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 04:28:35 AM »
While the 9mm has a somewhat higher velocity (and, therefore, flatter trajectory) than the .45, the .45 is VERY common in target competition.  Most people see the 9mm versus .45 question in terms of magazine capacity versus knockdown power ... also, size for concealability.  I think either of your choices will be perfectly adequate for both self defense and target use; however, since shooting and gun choice is such a personal matter (feel in the hand, etc.), I'd suggest you actually try out each.  Also, please note that a gun set up for fine target shooting (tight frame, etc.) isn't necessarily the best set-up for a defense gun (where you want total operating reliability).

Offline strider72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
HiPower hands down...though I love a Kimber. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot,higher capacity,and cheaper than the Kimber ...right.? Plus I'm a 9mm nut....so it's really up to you.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 05:06:57 PM »
Tough call...I would buy both and then there would be no question.  Seriously...Take both in hand and see how they feel...The 45 would be better in a home protection because the first shot is the one that counts and a 45 should stop a bad guy in his tracks...That 45 has more knock down power than a 9...Although follow up shots with a 9 are usually easier because of the recoil.  The 9 is cheaper to shoot at the range unless you reload then the difference in cost is negligible.  I am in no way against the 9 because I use one for home protection I just think that the 45 has more ummmphh for self defense and would be a fine target gun as well.  Good luck with whatever you choose...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 08:21:46 AM »
Terry1,

The .45 auto is an excellent caliber for target work and remember there is a reason why most law enforcement agencies have dropped the 9mm in favor of the .40 S&W or even the .45 auto.  Beside if you can't get it done with 8 - 9 .45's then 15 9mm's aren't going to be of any help.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 05:12:51 AM »
I own both a Browning "half-power" and 3 different 45's. As far as target work I have found both to be plenty accurate. If your talking about self-defense, well that 45 hole is a lot bigger than the 9mm hole. (Nines work ok with high performance ammo) 45's work good with most any kind of ammo. They let a lot of air in and a lot of blood out. :grin: