Author Topic: Quick and Dirty Mount Done  (Read 678 times)

Offline Smoothbore

• Trade Count: (0)
Quick and Dirty Mount Done
« on: February 02, 2005, 07:20:53 AM »
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Lyle313/P2020002.jpg[/img]

I finished the quick mount for my 1/3 scale 6-pounder this past weekend, and today the overcast was thin enough to allow for a couple of pictures to be taken--viola!!

Hopefully I will be able to take it up to my shooting range in the next week or so and remove the  remaining leaves on the trees around the perimeter.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 02:03:08 PM »
Good stuff Dude!

Some shootin' irons I like because of their histerical look, but I like most for their practical use.  

Looks like you could tow that around walking to the shooting position at the range.  Might want to harness it before shooting though.

Take a look at others pictures for best camera position so you'll be prepared when you go to the range.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Smoothbore

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 03:16:29 PM »
Glad you like it.  I have decided to leave it as is (practical) and save toward a 1/2 scale barrel to build into an artillary mount.  This barrel is just a bit small to find spoked wheels that are in the ball park proportion wise.  The few that I have run across are just too flimsy to me.

Your perception is correct--it does tow quite nicely with a rope through the eye on the aft end, and you are also correct in that it will need to be secured as it rolls very easily.

I have looked through the pictures on the sticky post, as well as a number of other sites that have cannon pictures.  One of the great things about digital cameras--you can take a boat load of pictures and, in addition to the instant gratification, immediately delete those that don't measure up.

When I get to fire it (sometime in the next few weeks) I will take that boat load of pictures and post a couple that do measure up.

Later

Offline Smoothbore

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 09:54:18 AM »
It was back in Feb when I posted this thread, and I still haven't found suitable wheels for a field carriage--have thus decided to make a set.

I finally was able to get up to my shooting range this past Saturday and fire this creature.  I had made up some charges (100, 150 & 200 grain) in aluminum foil cylinders as was suggested by one of you.  I ran through the charges in order.  

It was being fired from a concrete floor, which is all that remains of a building damaged by last years hurricanes, requiring it to be torn the rest of the way down. Anyway, though I had only intended to signal fire it, in some of the remaining debris there laid several "Marks-A-Lot" markers.

I dropped one in behind a small load, thinking as small as the load is and as light as the marker is---that I would be able to see it go through the air---wrong!!  All I saw was leaves fall from a couple of the pecan trees in the orchard through which it was launched.

Pictures??  After firing it through all three charge sizes and getting a handle on fuse timing, I intended to get some pictures.  Unfortunately a massive thunderstorm railroaded in and ended my session all too early, then the drizzle continued for the rest of the day.  

Smoothbore