Author Topic: Lee is ok!  (Read 989 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Lee is ok!
« on: February 05, 2003, 11:40:59 PM »
bought a 405 lee 4570 mold and had alot of trouble getting bullets to drop especially with lynotype. I have many lee molds and this is the first one Ive had trouble with. Well the sticky bullets caused me to beat the mold so badly that the handles fell off and the spruce plate screw stripped out. I know that theres things i could have done to tune this mold but there cheap and I cast to much and dont have time to fool with tuning molds. I contacted lee and told them my problem and they sent me a brand new one this one was factory tuned and even came smoked and ready to go.  Alot of people bad mouth lee products but as far as service goes I have had nothing but great experiences with them. Its a small company in wisconson and they are a bunch of good old boys! They are allways willing to talk to me and usually sometimes when I call the president of the company even is the one that talks to me. I give there service five stars!!!
blue lives matter

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

• Trade Count: (0)
Lee is ok!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 03:57:07 AM »
I've like Lee molds for years.  The fact that they have 6 cav molds is a plus.  
Now if I could find another hour or two a  day to cast.....
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline Leftoverdj

Lee is ok!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 06:43:34 PM »
I like the Lee six cavity moulds for pistols so much that I have quit buying any other kind. The steel inserts for locating pins and the double lockdown for the sprue plate eliminate a lot of the problems I have had with teir one and two cavity moulds. Been adding to my collection from their closeout list at $25 a pop. That just can't be beat.

I still ain't sold on anything but a single cavity for rifle, though.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline The Blade

Lee is ok!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 02:12:24 AM »
Lloyd,

I have had similar troubles with my Lee 405 grain mould; however, I found that if I hold the bottom of the mould blocks together with a gloved hand whilst the other hand is opening the handles, the bullet falls out on its own every time.

Try that bullet (tumble lubed) over 34 grains of IMR 3031 and a small piece of Dacron wadding in your guide gun.  It will cut a 5-shot one-hole group for me at 50 yards with a Williams peep sight.  No recoil to speak of, no leading.  My bullets for this load are waterdropped ww.

I've been working on a load with that bullet that I haven't chrono'd yet...using 3 grains of bullseye and a soft lead bullet.  At 100 yards, after you fire, you should have time to put the gun down, swig on your coffee, pickup your binoculars, adjust the focus, then watch your bullet impact at 100 yards.  Good entertainment!

I tried 1.5 grains of Bullseye, but I stuck a bullet 3/4 the way down the bore.  I'm convinced this will work with a soft-enough lead bullet and a clean bore, but I haven't been successful with it yet.

Have you shot any of the .458 bullets from your other new mould yet?  Give us a report when you do.

The Blade

Offline nohorse

• Avid Poster
Lee is ok!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 03:19:59 AM »
I cast with a Lee 405 hollow base for the first time this past weekend.  I used NEI sprue plate lube and RCBS graphite mold prep before casting and never had a problem.  Are you using the hollow base bulet mold?
GG-father: 6th Ala Inf
GG-uncles: 6th Ala Inf; 19th Tn; Wirt Adam's Cav.