Author Topic: NEF Pistol Conversion??  (Read 1141 times)

Offline JAM66

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Avid Poster
NEF Pistol Conversion??
« on: February 07, 2005, 01:59:58 PM »
Is it possible(and legal) to put a Pistol grip and cut down the barrels on  one of these centerfire rifles and make it into a single shot pistol?

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
NEF Pistol Conversion??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 02:05:35 PM »
With a LOT of paperwork (and extra taxes) and a specially liscensed gunsmith, yes.  For all practical purposes, no.  A Thompson Center pistol would be far cheaper than making a Handi into a legal pistol.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
NEF Pistol Conversion??
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 02:14:52 PM »
To quote from the ATF : "A weapon made from a rifle having a barrel less than 16" in length or an overall length of less than 26" is a firearm subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act. It is unlawful for a person to make or transfer a firearm of this type without first having an approved application from ATF and paying the $200 tax.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.handirifle.com
NEF Pistol Conversion??
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 04:42:11 PM »
Jamm
I looked into this a long time ago and figured it would be about $300 if I did the work, counting the permits.

For a couple hundred more you could get a used contender and buy or sell to your hearts content.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
handguns
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 07:23:57 PM »
Maybe that's something H&R should or could address. They could bring out a line of pistols on the same frames. Things might get easier with ATF then. It would also open up a new market for them.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
NEF Pistol Conversion??
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 10:32:56 AM »
Back in the 20's H&R offered the "Handy Gun."  Basically a sawed-off shotgun with a pistol grip for use by small game trappers.

Offline Woodbutcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
pistol
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 01:05:28 PM »
Lets see now, a Handi pistol, in one of the rimfires, or in the Hornet, 223 even!  Stainless!!! Fancy thumbrest grip!!! Dream on!
 Does anyone on this site have the ear of the powers that be at NEF?     Doesn't seem like it would be that costly for them to do this. Would they sell enough to make it worthwhile? Wouldn't cut into sales of the rifle.
 Nice to carry with a shotgun (Topper DL of course) for squirrels.
                                                               Woodbutcher
 Octagon barrel? Nah, thats too far out!

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
NEF Pistol Conversion??
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 01:47:31 PM »
Folks: The questin of a Handi pistol comes up about every 6 months or so, I'd like one my own self. I 've often wondered if you would buy a Handi Rifle and right from the start register it like a pistol, paper work and all, if then you could add the pistol grip and shorten the barrel.  The way I understand it you can add a carbine kit to a contender pistol as long as the barrel is 16" +, so why not the reverse. Funny part is that in Hoosierland you do the same paper work for shotgun with a pistol grip, as you do with a handgun. But you can buy a full buttstocked shotgun you just fill out the yellow sheet, then you can just add your own pistol grip, go figure.
As far as the powers that be bring out a Handi pistol they, can't keep up with rifle production. :excuseme: <>< Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline fast*eddie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
NEF Pistol Conversion??
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 03:56:05 PM »
With all the frivolous law suits out there, I don't think NEF ? Marlin wants to take on the headache.  :roll:
Semper Fi !

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.handirifle.com
NEF Pistol Conversion??
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 03:58:41 PM »
A Handi single shot pistol would REALLY give TC a run for their money, at half the price too!

Duce, in order to make a pistol of it you'd have to buy a special permit from the BATF (for $200) and cut the barrel down and make a pistol style stock, one that would allow you to reach the trigger.

I think one in 30-30, with 14" barrel, would be good deer medicine.

That is about all the engineering you'd have to do.

I'm not sure NEF wants into the handgun market.  What with all the idiots ready to sue.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline mpftech

NEF Pistol
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 04:04:41 AM »
You can manufacture your own firearm, rifle or pistol so long as it is not an NFA weapon, you may possess such a firearm under the GCA (no felons please) and provided you did not manufacture it for sale to the public.
Can you ever sell it then? Yes, after at least one year of ownership after the manufacture of it and under the restrictions of the GCA (again, no minors, felons or wife beaters).
Don't try this with any shotgun barrels, that is an NFA weapon!
Be aware that it is a felony to ever place the modified short-barrel (less than 16") on any of the other stocked receivers that you may have.

Know the law and don't take my word for it!

Check the ATF website under firearms FAQ.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a7
If you want any clarification on this, please contact the ATF.
http://www.atf.gov/
That's what they're there for and they are willing to answer any questions that you may have to the best of their ability.
BIG NEF FAN!