Author Topic: .410 QUESTIONS GALORE  (Read 789 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
.410 QUESTIONS GALORE
« on: February 08, 2005, 12:07:13 PM »
I have always been interested in .410sa and that is one of the guns I want to add to my collection.  That is, the one I have just started with my new Combo.  Since iamb here, what's with the HR/NEF .410?  Is it a fully tapered barrel or can it be bored for screw-in chokes?  Can you fire slugs through the Tamer?  Has anyone patterned a Tamer at short distances, you know, 15, 20, 30 feet or even 15 or 20 yards?  Will the Tamer butt stock fit on anything else?  I thought I saw a pic of a 12ga with one fitted to it.
I ran across a British site that referred to NEF as being part of the "Marlin stable".  Does Marlin own them?
Don't ya just hate us NEWBIES.  So many questions.  Thanks in advance.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.410 QUESTIONS GALORE
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 07:19:12 AM »
I'm not sure if  they can be bored out  for screw chokes or not  Best bet there is to ask a GOOD gun smith.  I have a NEF .410 with a fixed full choke.  I really like hunting squirrel and rabbit with it.  I have had it to the range a couple of time and it has patterned very good at ranges of 15-25 yrds.  I have found that mine likes the winchester super high speed  2 1/2 in. loads better then the 3 in remington loads.  And yes the tamer butt stock will fit any newly produced NEF/H&hr gun.

Yes Marlin is the parent company of NEF/H&R.  
Hope this helps.

By The Way Welcome on board.  

You got to becareful with these fine little single shots.  They are addictive. One day you wake up and find you have a safe full of them.  And then you notice when you go hunting the NEF/H&R is what you grab to take out and the high end pumps and autos are left to collect dust.  Don't worry the dust wipes off fairly easily.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
.410 QUESTIONS GALORE
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 10:30:30 AM »
hey cookie glad ur on board , for choke tubes it could be done  but , only a select few companies make tubes for the 410 , one being briliy  and the cost would be way out of wack as to what u would be gaining, there was a story on how the 410 patterned awhile back ,and they was like 15 bb different between the skeet choked barrel and a full choke  at 20 yds cant see it being worth a couple hundred bucks for tubes in my book?

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
.410 help
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 10:44:15 AM »
I know whay you mean. I stopped in a shop today to see if they might have a used .410 by some chance and low and behold there was the OTHER one I'd be looking for. A barely used .223, with scope and mounts for $249. I just couldn't chance bringing it home in the big rig as there was a man hunt for a cop killer in the area.
  BTW would $249 be a good price on the used market?

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
RE: DaveH and shaner
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 10:55:20 AM »
Dave, it's too late.  I'm already addicted.  I took a $120 hit on a new(never fired) 870 Junior, selling it back to Gander.  The 2 GOOD  things to come from that were my new NEF 12ga Combo and takin' that $120 hit made me feel like a DUMB KID again.  Some might say that is priceless. At 51, they might be right.  
Thanks to you and shaner for the info on the .410.  The guys at the store will tell ya anything, you guys actually hunt with these guns, that's a heck of a lot more reliable.  Thanks again.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
.410 QUESTIONS GALORE
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 03:45:49 PM »
That's unfortunate that you had to take such a big hit on a new gun. To bad you don't still have it you could have sold it in the classifieds here. I haven't played around with my 410 much yet so I can't be of much help, but from everything I've heard and read the results wouldn't be worth the cost.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
.410 QUESTIONS GALORE
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 07:35:21 AM »
You can fire rifled slugs through the Tamer full choke barrel.  Your accuracy would be questionable at best with that bead site.  You would get better performance shooting slugs through a cylinder bore or improved cylinder choke but you cannot get those in a Tamer.  I wouldn't waste the money having a smith modify an NEF 410 to use screw in choke tubes.  

BTW, welcome to the site...If you have any more questions just post away.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense