Author Topic: Sucessfull Hunt for Javelina  (Read 487 times)

Offline Elwood

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Sucessfull Hunt for Javelina
« on: February 08, 2005, 04:12:03 PM »
I took my boys (11&12) on their first javelina hunt this weekend.  On Sunday morning we jumped a small herd of five, I blew my critter call and they stoped at about 200 yards. My twelve year old shot and missed the standing shot. The pigs scattered across the hillside, he connected on his second shot on a trotting javelina at 222 lasered yards. The bullet entered her shoulder and exited through the neck. I knew that it had connected by the whap of the bullet hitting flesh but we searched for a long time before finding her. We never found any others but both boys are happy and are gung ho for doing it again. He never could have made the shot without using his versa-pod,I think that it is indispensable for children. It was a youth hunt so I was not shooting but I had more fun than if I was shooting instead of my boys.

Elwood P. Dowd
Vae Victis

Offline DesertRam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 03:25:07 AM »
Hey that's great news!  Pass along my congratulations to your boy.  I'm headed out tomorrow for javelina - hopefully I do as well as your son.  Probably gonna get wet, but it beats sitting in the office working. :)

I don't suppose you have any pictures.  I'd love to see the smile on that kid's face.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 11:20:43 AM »
I too always love to see the pics of kids with their Dad . . . especially hunting type pictures.  Congrats on a great outing.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Elwood

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 08:50:39 AM »
The film is going to Walmart in Sierra Vista this evening. When the film is back I will attempt to post pictures. The single most important piece of equipment that a dad can pack is a camera. My youngest son had never been big game hunting before, (they have been unsuccessfull in being drawn for deer for two years straight) when the hunt was over he said that he wants to hunt every year! They have decided they want to put in for the youth hunt for cow elk this fall.

Elwood
Vae Victis