Author Topic: Handy Handi rifle shell holders  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Jack Ryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Handy Handi rifle shell holders
« on: February 08, 2005, 10:05:41 PM »
What kind of ideas you guys using to keep the next shot "handi"?

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
shell holder
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 11:58:16 PM »
I bought one of those stretchy butt stock shell holders but I don't use it on the rifle.I wear it on my belt.The leather ones were too stiff.This one conforms to you and doesn't get in the way.
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 05:53:55 AM »
That's obvious....I just put a 10-shot clip on my super custom Handi. :-D

No really, I just keep a few shells in my pocket IF I need a follow up shot. I really think these single shots make you a more confident hunter...they make you place your shot rather than just blasting away like alot of guys do.

Offline Ambushhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 05:56:12 AM »
I did the same, but put the stretchy one right on the buttstock of my .270.  Works like a charm.  Black material with the black synthetic don't look too bad either. :wink:
NJCSD, ANJRPC, NRA
http://www.njcsd.org/

Offline 270Handiman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 05:59:20 AM »
I've got the black butt stock shell holder.  It looks great on my composite stock, and it also serves to give the stock a warmer "Feel" in cold weather.  It holds 10 rounds.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 06:02:56 AM »
I don't worry about it, I've hunted with a muzzleloader for years, just keep some quick loaders in my wrap around fanny pack side pocket, will do the same with a spare round or 2 for the handi.  That first shot is the one that counts, just make it a good one and you won't need a second. But, if I were hunting DG, I'd reconsider the use of a single shot! :eek:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mrlizzzard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 06:07:42 AM »
I use the stretchy ones for 2 reasons.When your prone there is no fumbling and they keep the scratches off the stock.BTW they are discounted to .97 at wally's stock up

lizzzard

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 06:26:42 AM »
I saw somewhere that you could get a shell holder that velcroed around your wrist that held 2 extra shots but i cant remember where i saw it. I'd like to pick one up if i could find it.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 06:52:15 AM »
I prefere the Uncle Mikes neoprene shell holder...I use them on my Marlin 1895GS with it's straight stock...and put some rubatex insulating foam rubber under it to make a very soft and warm cheek piece for scope usage...not only can I carry an extra 6 rounds with me...it takes all the face slap out of any heavy loads for it...and will pick one up for my 30-30 Handi stock set as well...it does protect the stock some...and that is always a added benefit as well...the elastic ones are ok and work...but the neoprene ones don't  unravel when you cut a slit in them for the rear swivel stud...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Sling studs and ammo carrier
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 07:08:09 AM »
I have an elastic shell holder on my 10 gauge. When I put the thing on I removed the stud. Then when I found the spot on the stock that I wanted the shell holder, I just used an awl to seperate the fibers of the shell holder a bit and threaded the stud back into it's original hole. Only had it like this for the last half of the season but don't see why it shouldn't hold up as there were no threads actually cut for my installation. Just moved to the side.

Hope this helps someone.

Don't know why I have a shellholder on a 10 gauge as one shot and one goose is all thats needed for most of our season. Just in case I guess.

Nixter

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
10 gauge pic (I hope)
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 07:14:38 AM »
Here is a pic of the 10 gauge.

Nixter

If the pic doesn't work, cut and paste into your browser, it should work then.

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 07:19:15 AM »
I hate posting pix...

Nixter

Offline jritter

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 07:33:48 AM »
I use the stretchy one around the stock as well, but the last time I used it I had lost a round that had slipped out while hiking in to the stand.  I think they make these with velco covers, which might work better.
"In the end, we conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, we will understand only what we are taught."

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
gg
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 01:14:32 PM »
i got a strech black one on my huntsman,with a velcro cover....its 4 a shotgun.....but it holds the speedloader great.....i put 3 primer carriers inbetween the stock and shell holder......thats all i carry during bp season...if i got the gun then i  got 4 shots also.no butt pack.or possables bag.... :D  :D ...JB

Offline Good Keen Man

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 09:14:30 PM »
MSRP (I think) pointed me in the right direction for a neoprene shell holder:

http://beartoothproducts.com/cgi/shop/detail.cgi?cat=Stock%20Guard&model=Rifle%20Model

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 09:38:10 PM »
My wife gave me a Columbia wool hunting shirt that has shell holders in the front pockets.  Convenient to reach even in the prone position.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2005, 03:56:05 AM »
i cut a shell holder down to fit two rounds rather than having 6 or 7 rounds on the butt stock.they are out of the way and having two there is just about right.can be done with shotgun or rifle ammo.leave a hole in the bottom of the holder for the sling swivel stud to go through and the holder stays in place.

Offline Joel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 06:26:19 AM »
I do it the same way as Jeff does on my wood stocked 45/70.  Also, just two rounds doesn't change the balance drastically, and if I need more rounds than that I'd best switch to a laser sighted M-16.  Actually came in handy on my handy couple years ago, when I had about 10 seconds to shoot a 6-point and then a big doe.   Which I did.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2005, 08:13:54 PM »
Thanks guys. I think I like the 2 on the stock idea best so far.

I been carrying in a shirt pocket but I just don't like the pocket hanging open all the time. It hangs up on the gun butt and they fall out if ya lean over. Fishing them out with gloves on is kinda annoying.

Had a chance to kill two and one darn near got away while I was fishing out another from my shirt pocket.

So far I've got a sling I made out of a belt and I've started sticking one in the folds of the sling when I get set in one spot but that's not the solution I really like best. I'm still thinking about it.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
Re: Handy Handi rifle shell holders
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 12:06:55 AM »
 I saw a guy who drilled holes in the stock for an amo holder the other day. That gave me all kinds of ideas.

Offline mookster79

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 01:53:38 AM »
Don't Miss  ;D
TJM

Offline Jonboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 06:08:30 AM »
I saw a shell holder on ebay that holds 2 shell's and slips over the barrel and forend. It was advertised as fitting TC rifles. It would be handy as long as it didnt affect accuracy. Also the thing was over 30 bucks !!  >:( 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator

Offline Jonboy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 06:30:10 AM »
Yep , thats it Tim. Looks like TC sells them cheaper than Ebay .........  :o

If it fit really tight , wouldnt it affect accuracy ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 06:36:35 AM »
That was my thought too, but if the forend was fully bedded, it might not, you'd have to be sure and shoot the rifle with it on to find out how it affects  POI, it could act like a deresonator!! The TC forend is quite a bit taller and about the same width, so I don't think it would fit well.

Tim

Offline aulrich

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 06:49:56 AM »
I use the uncle mike's shell holders, I like the convenience. Very useful for coyote calling and general walk around varminting.  I would even keep it there for biggame, yes it only takes one but to have the rounds close will be an adavntage if something went wrong or you have 2 tags to fill.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Hammerspur

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 06:56:04 AM »
My wife gave me a Columbia wool hunting shirt that has shell holders in the front pockets.  Convenient to reach even in the prone position.

I've seen jackets made similar... a few loops on the outside near the breast pocket area.
Would be a cinch to do yourself, sewn on the left breast for right handed, right side for lefties.  ;)
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline Jonboy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 07:29:54 AM »
A friend ordered one for his TC. I'll try it on my Handi's and let yall know if it works. I like the idea of a couple extra rounds attached to the gun , because in Texas , one day your wearing a T-shirt and the next day you might have to wear a parka. Also, I sometimes forget stuff on those early morning hunts.   ;D

Offline b44mag

• Trade Count: (17)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 10:23:49 AM »
 i just read this and figured i would save you a little time . i have the allen brand on all my guns they are the better ones.  i tried a bunch of them the allen brand are the best i havent lost a shell yet. just my 2 cents.
                                                                     b44mag

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 11:21:37 AM »
I hate posting pix...

Nixter

Photos from the album can't be shown in the forums. You can set up an account with us at: www.myhostedpics.com and load them same basic way you did to the album and then they will show up on the forums however or you can just use Additional Options and select attachment and it will show below your text. But to do it as you tried use My Hosted Pics instead of the album which was the old way we did things here. To use those older URLs you have to post it as an URL and let folks click on it I think.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!