Author Topic: Modern designs  (Read 759 times)

Offline unspellable

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Modern designs
« on: February 09, 2005, 08:15:14 AM »
Somewhere along the line I have heard of a cap & ball revovler avilable in Europe that is of modern design like the Ruger Old Army.  I've also heard that it is much favoured for target shooting.  Any body ever heard of this or any orthe modern design cap & ball?

I did once upon a time have a modern design under hammer boot pistol.

Offline Shorty

Modern designs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 12:58:54 PM »
unspellable,
I think your last statement said it all.  Modern design-cap & ball revolver is an oxymoron.  :wink:

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Modern designs
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 02:19:45 AM »
I don't think it's an oxymoron.  The Ruger Old Army is not a reproduction of any thing and for shooting is generally an improvement on anything traditional.

Come to think of it I have seen other modern designs.  Cabela's sells cap and ball revolvers styled to look like a cartridge type single action.  I've had the impression that they were an evasion of various laws and regulations governing handguns.  If so, that's a design for a modern purpose.

This still leaves the mythical European target revolver to track down.

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
Modern designs
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 04:48:15 PM »
had to revive this...and to sign in after lurking for a time.

There was (and may still be) one that matches that description.  Feinwerkbau did make some Rodgers and Spencer reproduction.  MAde of modern steels and as finely fitted and made as their match .22's...and I belive the last retail I saw listed was $1,750.

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Modern designs
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 02:23:44 AM »
I would not call the Rodgers & Spencer a modern design, but rather a reproduction.  On the other hand, it has a reputation for accuracy, both in the original and in reproductions.  The Italian reproduction I have has a target grade trigger.  But the sights are not up to the job, you would have to replace them for serious target shooting.  I am baffled as to who made the one I have, there is not the slightest trace of a maker's name.  It is marked "Made in Italy".  I don't know if the German version is the revolver I had in mind but it's a possibility.

Meanwhile, I've picked up another modern design, a Traditions Buckhunter.  Any body have any experience with these?

Of lately, I seem to be accumulating front stuffers.  I need to get out and bust a few caps.

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
Modern designs
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 05:29:12 PM »
Not the Italian made repros...this one is made by Fienwerkbau. Does LOOK like the others, but condisering the price for this basically cutom gun, it certainly dosn't cost like the others. Claim is that it's machined from modern steels...Europeans take tahir black powder championships pretty seriously, and suspect this was designed as a "sleeper".

Not a modern design...just modern match tolerances used on an old design.

It's on this list, a bit more than 1/2 down the listings (along with a nice underhammer single shot).

http://www.brenzovich.com/feinwerkbau.htm

I certainly can't justify the price from a design standpoint...and not having handled one, can't comment on the fitting...but suspect it would be pretty well made.

Does kind of stand out on the site as not fitting in with the other match toys.

Looked in an old Blue Book...found it listed as Rodgers And Spencer Feinwerkbau, with the notation "Manufactured by Feinwerkbau using the latest technology, molybdenum chrome steel frame, etc.".

For that matter, Dixie does still offer a different version of the Rem. 58 that is MORE of a reproduction that the others...it includes a gain twist barrel as did many original revovlers of the era (Colts also...but few of the repros. bother with the expensive gain twsit barrels).