Author Topic: boattail bullets  (Read 1118 times)

Offline MG-42

• Trade Count: (0)
boattail bullets
« on: February 06, 2003, 04:06:45 PM »
Can I use the boattail die for my 308 bullet with my 311 or 323 bullet?

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
boattail bullets
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 05:14:21 AM »
Can you tell us what your die and asociated punch(es) look like. You indicated that some of your dies are aged; your BT die may be one of several older types. The current BT system is comprised of two dies that look very much alike, but use flat faced internal punches the diameter of the heal of the boat tail itself. Regardless, as the BT die(s) also perform the core seating function, what was said to another of your questions apply: It's best to use a matched set of CS and PF dies.    8)

Offline GREYGHOSTt

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
boattail bullets
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 05:55:42 AM »
if you want them to be 308 you can :grin:
third eye blinds the other two.

Offline pjh421

boattail bullets
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2003, 05:33:59 PM »
MG-42,

Please don't cram a .323" bullet into a .308" swage die.  Swage dies, as you know, employ opposing punches that squash the contents of the die and cause those contents to take on the shape of the die bore and punch ends.  Some springback is helpful once the contents are placed under a pressure load and then released from that load in allowing the newly formed slug to be successfully ejected from the die.  A lubricant that does not detonate under pressure, like lanolin based stuff, is also extremely helpful.

If you stick a bullet in your die you will be very unhappy because it will be nearly impossible to dislodge without destroying the expensive die.  Even then, the excessive pressure that was possibly exerted upon the die walls may have expanded these normally nearly perfectly straight walls to the point where they are now "barrel" shaped (that is small on the ends and fat in the middle) and not able to produce a properly formed bullet.

Diameter reducing dies are available for making bigger bullets smaller, but if you want to put a special tail on a .311 or .323 jacket with seated core, by all means purchase the correct dies for this purpose.

Swage up.  Size down.

Hope I didn't offend you.

Paul

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
boattail bullets
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2003, 05:44:04 AM »
Paul, some dies may bulge under excessive pressure... Corbin dies just break. Not good. Real bad news. $150.00 out-the-door!! I have one hanging from the ceiling to remind me....  8)

Offline pjh421

boattail bullets
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 12:42:37 PM »
Talon,

Sorry to hear about your die breaking.  I scared myself not too long after I began swaging.  As I brought the pressure up a little to fill out a rebated boat tail to a sharp edge, the jacket gave way.  I might not have used enough lube.  It made a popping sound and I thought, "There goes my die."  It turned out ok though: no damage done and the set continues to make good bullets.  I always make sure there's plenty of lube on the component parts now.  Its cheaper than dies.

Paul