Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 1118 times)

Offline bigchast1

• Trade Count: (0)
Is it worth it?
« on: February 10, 2005, 01:49:25 PM »
My friend has a Winchester bolt action Model 70(?) caliber 270, with an adjustable factory installed muzzle brake, leopold rings and bases, and a synthetic stock for sale.  It is a great shooting gun, as I loaded the bullets for him and he shot 2 deer past 250 yds this year.  The question is is it worth $400.  If so it is mine, please give me your thoughts on this matter.

Thanks Chad

Offline old06

• Contributor
Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 04:15:48 PM »
I have the same version the Model 70 SM classic in 270. They only made it 2 years 95 and 96 I think and it sounds like a great deal to me so pick it up.
Psalm 16

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 12:58:00 AM »
Quote from: bigchast1
My friend has a Winchester bolt action Model 70(?) caliber 270, with an adjustable factory installed muzzle brake, leopold rings and bases, and a synthetic stock for sale.  It is a great shooting gun, as I loaded the bullets for him and he shot 2 deer past 250 yds this year.  The question is is it worth $400.  If so it is mine, please give me your thoughts on this matter.

Thanks Chad

I checked 3 gun auction websites to see what a used Model 70 .270 was fetching.  While I could not find one with a muzzle break, there were plenty of them up for auction.  The starting bids were from $275 to $325.  Where they will end up is anybody's guess.  Some won't sell either.  

If it was me, I would offer him about $325 for a synthetic stock rifle without a scope and leave negotiations open.  Your local gun dealer can give you an idea of the value of a used rifle.  He should also be able to give you wholesale and retail prices, in other words, a trade-in vs sale price.  Your competition is what a dealer would pay him for the rifle.  Anything over that and under $400 is in your favor.
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline bigchast1

Is it worth it?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 12:16:39 PM »
in doing some research it is a Winchester MDL 70 Classic SM w/BOSS in .270, and retail for $679.00

Offline jvs

Is it worth it?
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 01:12:44 PM »
Hardly any Gun Dealer can get MSRP on a new rifle, unless it's a limited special edition.  Even then they don't hold their value in the short term.   All gun dealers have a 'used' rack, and that's where that rifle would go if the dealer had it.

I would call a dealer and ask for ballpark prices on that model rifle.  Usually they can give you an idea what the value is, even without seeing it.  As long as you can say what shape it's in they will try and help you out with a price.  The price they give you is NOT the price they would pay you for it, it would be fair market value, generally speaking.

That rifle may be worth $400 or more to a person who wants one bad enough.  If it seems like it's worth $400 to you, by all means pay it.  I looked up prices at internet gun auctions and used 270's don't command a lot of money unless they are pre 64 or pre WWII.  Even if you lost money in the beginning, it wouldn't be long before used rifles values exceed that price.   Figure by the time you retire, you will realize a nice profit.

The main concern is to pay the going price for it.

Offline jvs

Is it worth it?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 01:46:16 PM »
Ok........I just did another search of the auction sites with the specs you put down,  Model 70 Classic SM BOSS and I got quite different prices.

I found two for sale, neither one had scopes attached.  One had an asking price of $625 and the other one was $639.  One was NIB and one was used.  None had bids.

Obviously the BOSS feature adds to the value of that model.  Sounds like your friend is asking for trade-in value.

Offline old06

• Contributor
Is it worth it?
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 03:52:48 PM »
If you look at my post above you'll note I stated that model with the boss was produced only 2 years and it has a reputation as being a "semi collectors" I've seen them sell for more that other model 70 classic's with out the boss that isn't why I bought my rifle but it kind of surprised me to.
Psalm 16

Offline bigchast1

Is it worth it?
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 02:02:38 AM »
Thanks for all your input guys.  I believe by what ya'll have said and what I have gathered I will buy it, an put a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 scope on it.  As I said its a friend of mine selling, so I know where it has been and what it has been through.  And since I already reload for it I know how much it has been shot( >100 rounds).

Again Thanks

Offline old06

• Contributor
Is it worth it?
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 04:32:59 AM »
There has been some discuishion about the boss being tough to get tuned in. I have no such problem's with my gun I shoot hand loads in my 270 and development has been to settle on the load and tune the gun to it. With great results I only shoot two loads a 130 rem bronze point and 140 nosler blastic tip but my supply is near the end on both and will be using 130 nosler part soon as these are gone. If you develop a good partition load share it.
Psalm 16