Author Topic: which scope?  (Read 1303 times)

Offline travis

• Trade Count: (0)
which scope?
« on: February 07, 2003, 03:14:27 AM »
I really didn't know where to post this but since this is a fairly busy forum i decided to post here.

Please help!! i recently ordered the savage model 12fvss and only just realized that it has no sights. I always planned on mounting a good quality scope on  it later on, but the trouble is i kinda maxed out my credit card to buy the gun and have very little left for a scope.
I was thinking i could buy a marginal scope for now and wait a few months before i buys me a good scope. I was thinking about something in the 6-24 or 8-32 power range with a 44 or 50 mm objective.   Which brand or power would you go with? i should mention i will be long range plinking and probably fox and coyote shooting as well.

does anyone know of a bargain basement priced scope which would do for now?

thanks

travis

Offline Crayfish

• Avid Poster
which scope?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 05:38:06 AM »
Travis - While you aren't going to find a very good scope in that power range for a very low price, you might want to check the classifieds here.  I just saw a 3-12x Tasco for $65.  This is about as cheap as your going to find for a high power scope.  A buddy of mine has a similiar 6-24 Tasco on a 300Weatherby that has never let him down.

... Crayfish

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
which scope?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 06:00:41 AM »
A Tasco would be a good choice, though the eye releif on them is a little short.  I put a Simmons 6.5-20x40mm on my 12FLV in .308 Winchester, I'm satisfied with it.  If your willing to go down on the magnification a little, I've got a 4-12x40mm Bushnell on my .22 K-Hornet T/C Contender Carbine, which I can recommend (Acadamy Sports has a good price on them).

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
which scope?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 06:46:30 AM »
I'd try the Tasco just from my personal experience if you can find one. I did the exact same thing on a Weatherby 7mm Rem Mag that I let dad hunt with.  He decided to take up deer hunting at the last minute before season started, so I had to get this rifle ready to use. I got too good of a deal on the rifle to pass it up, but didn't have the cash to get the quality optics that I wanted to put on it. 3 years later I finally get ready to replace the Tasco World Class 3-9x40 and dad says "leave it alone". He's 3 for 3 on deer and is very comfortable and confident with the setup as it is. It gathers light reasonably well, and it hasn't had any problems with losing zero. I took a deer with it late last season at 325 yards. I guess I'll swap it out when he retires from deer hunting.

Offline ricciardelli

• http://stevespages.com/page8.htm
which scope?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 07:52:08 AM »
You wanna put 87 octane gasoline in your Ferrari?

Instead of wasting $$$ on a cheap scope now, just remove the scope from one of your less used rifles, and mount it on the savage.

As far as which power to use and what diamever bell, ask yourself a simple question...are you able to hold steady at 32X?

Very few people are, even from a rest!

I consider myself an above average shootist, and although I have a couple of Leupold 20x scopes, I find that my limit in practical conditions is around 14X...

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
which scope?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 09:49:59 AM »
I agree with the rest of the post.  If you want a higher power scope, I would recommend waiting until you can afford one that is a quality scope and one that you will enjoy for a long time.  But if you really would like to buy a cheaper one now, I would look into the Simmons 44Mag, 6.5-20x44, with Target Turrets.  Price is $155.00.  Pretty good scope for the money.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Leonard Lavigne

which scope?
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2003, 06:56:31 PM »
Do yourself a favor and buy one  of the cheap junk Tasco or Summons that someone doesn't want, there are plenty of them out there. BUT remember do not take one on a hunting trip that you will pay thousands of dollars for, It will bite you in the ass!

Offline Zachary

which scope?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 10:25:09 AM »
Stay a long way away from Simmons.

Zachary

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
which scope?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 03:59:30 PM »
Zach, I would have to disagree.  I have had a simmons on one of my muzzleloaders for years with no problems.  Also, the simmons aetec is a great scope for the money.  Very clear and bright!
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline EDG

• Avid Poster
which scope?
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 05:57:49 PM »
If you volunteer to pay the shipping someone may volunteer to give you a box of cheap scopes.
The high magnification scopes are not as useful as they appear. Above about 12X you will get a lot of mirage on a sunny day, even a cold one.
At about 24X you will be able to see your pulse when your face touches the stock. I have used up to 36X and from what I can tell, you have to be a terrific shooter with a terrific rifle to improve much on 12X.
You can get about 90% of your rifles performance with a 4X or 6X scope.
You might be able to get a frebe in this magnification range to last a couple of months.