Author Topic: H&R Single Shooter from smoothbore up to Ultra Slug 20 g  (Read 530 times)

Offline cidermann52

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R Single Shooter from smoothbore up to Ultra Slug 20 g
« on: February 11, 2005, 04:54:02 PM »
Hello to all you wy&R Single shot lovers.
 I have hunted whitetail deer here in upstate NY for about 35 years and have taken my fair share with my H&R's. I actually started out with a Ithaca Super Single 20 ga.I let a relitave borrow it one year and haven't seen it since.Anyways I then bought my first 12 ga,H&R smoothbore and haven't look back since. I used that gun for over 20 years and in Fall of 2001 I shot a trophy 12 point buck that put me in the NYS record book. I of course retired my old friend and it hangs along side of my Buck. I then bought the 20ga Deluxe Ultra Slug .What a Sweet shooting shotgun. I use the 3" Federal Barnes Expanders.I put on a Simmons Diamond Point 9x32 scope.Never in my life have I experienced a smoother flatter shooting gun. I have a large collection of Shotguns from Browning Sweet sixteen, to Savage Semi 12 ga,to a Remington 870 and beyond, but the Ultra Slug 20 ga out does them all.I am so impressed with this gun that I will  never use another to hunt those Wiley Whietails.I even use it to hunt deer in Pennsylvania which is Rifle country. I made believers out of the boys last year when I took a 7 point and a doe in about 30 seconds of each other. Anyways I just wanted to Brag up those Ultra Slug guns. They may be heavy but you get use to it by the 2nd or 3rd day and when you see that deer you can be confident that it will do the job.Thaks for letting me bend that ear and Happy Hunting :D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
H&R Single Shooter from smoothbore up t
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 02:19:54 AM »
:D, Welcome aboard cidermann52, it's great to have you here and to hear your great stories about your hunting expierences and your H&R's. You sound like a walking advertisement for these fine little guns. Come often and stay late, it's a nice place to be....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 06:32:44 AM »
Welcome Ciderman52. lways good to see another proponent of these fine guns. It's also good to hear about success with a old smooth bore. I think a lot of folks forget just how effective a deer hunting tool they were and still are.You are not alone in using you Ultra slug in rifle country. I remember a few people posting aboutr that. Visit and post often
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline mrlizzzard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 11:10:46 AM »
WELCOME CIDERMAN

lizzzard

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 02:59:07 AM »
Welcome to the site Ciderman...Stick around and share some more stories when you have the time...Gotta love those NEF/H&R Shotguns...They are a thing of beauty and simplicity.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense