Author Topic: Question about a Model 1300 shotgun I used to own?  (Read 623 times)

Offline Jerry Lester

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Question about a Model 1300 shotgun I used to own?
« on: February 11, 2005, 04:56:58 PM »
Years ago(around 1988) I bought a nice little Winchester model 1300 12 gauge. I'm thinking it was a feather weight? I do remember that it was called a "fast back" pump. and that recoil was supposed to(and did) aid in quicker follow up shots. This particular one had a very nice stock, with a pump that was contoured kinda oddly. It had nice checkering, and the pump was designed with a shape that I'd never seen on a pump shotgun before. The barrel was about 22"-24", improved cylinder, with no rib.

That was the very best shotgun I've ever owned, and I killed a slew of stuff with it before I sold it like the teenage dummy I was. It kicked like a mule with 3" magnums, but was worth the pain when it consistently killed everything I shot at with it. I once killed a deer, and a turkey with it in two shots within about 2 seconds. I stepped to the edge of a logging road to peek over the bank, and jumped a little spike. When I busted him running, turkeys went flying everywhere, and I got one of them flying! Man I miss that gun!

Offline Ramrod

Question about a Model 1300 shotgun I used
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 06:26:00 PM »
:D Jerry. It's not the make or model, as much as you had found a gun that fit you just right. The stock dimensions were perfect for you, so it worked. If you could somehow transfer those dimensions to a newer gun, you would hit just as well. One thing though, as we get older, (and sometimes chubbier), what fit us before might not fit anymore. So try alot of guns, something will point as well as that one did. Getting a stock custom fitted is a pretty expensive proposition nowadays.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 05:57:20 AM »
It definately did fit me well, but I also just liked everything about that gun. I'm not a big shotgun fan usually, but that one was a real work horse of a brush gun.

I'f I can ever find another one like it(same fore-arm etc.), I'm gonna snatch it up. I'd love to have it in a 20 gauge with screw in chokes.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 04:03:03 AM »
I started out in law-enforcement in 1976 with Winchester Model 94 3030 my Dad bought new in 1957 as my carry rifle in the patrol car. At that time the Tx Highway Patrol and the Tx Dept of Corrections still issued Winchester 3030s to their troopers, tower guards and High Riders  (on horseback in the fields). I carried that rifle everywhere. When I was called to do a track ( I was a bit of a tracker) on a man hunt I carried and have pictures from newspapers of me carrying it. As time went by I opted for the AR15 and the state of Tx went to the mini-14. An older officer once told me that as I matured I would eventually go back to the 3030 because it was a better stopper and made more sense. After 20 years of law-enforcement (retired) I am 56 yoa and guess what? That old man was right. Marksmanship and managable power is better than fire power. Hummmmmmmmmmm
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett