Author Topic: linotype  (Read 1095 times)

Offline WildcatTC

• Trade Count: (4)
linotype
« on: February 07, 2003, 06:33:08 AM »
Guy I need help.I need to pickup some Linotype but really dont know about suppiers or where to find this stuff other than Ebay.I have picked up about 200 ilbs of wheel weight lead and need a bunch of linotype for mixing

Thanks in advance :D
One Shot One Kill

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
linotype
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 07:09:51 AM »
Lino is getting hard to find as hot type printing is about obsolete. Best bet is to get on the phone to scrap yards and ask if they have any they will sell you. A slim chance is the older printshops and publishers. 50-60 cents a pound is about right.

There are also commercial suppliers but they get a buck a pound up and shipping will eat you alive.

I have been looking as my last half bucket is dwindling and the best solution I have found so far is ingots for alloying from Midway or a fellow calling himself "theantimonyman". No point in paying for lead and the shipping costs of lead when you can add tin and antimony to cheap or free WW to get the alloy you want.

I'm also trying to do a deal with a fellow who's holding several buckets of solder spatters from a defunct telephone manufacturing company. The solder is said to run about 70% tin and if I can get one of those buckets off him and get the semi-solid five gallon chunk smelted and poured into ingots, I'll be set for life. There may be more of this floating around as industrial scrap but finding such is mostly a matter of luck.

If you can find a better source, post it. There are a lot of us in the same boat.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
linotype
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 07:35:35 AM »
I have about 10 22lb pigs of linotype that I salvaged from a local newspaper.  I intended to use them for casting bullets, but then I noticed how expensive all of that equipment was, so I've just been using them for decoy anchors and fishing weights.  I be willing to part with most of them, save a couple for myself for when the idiots completely ban fishing with lead sinkers I can pour my own.  Let me know what you'd pay, shipping would be a high cost on these though.
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
linotype
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 11:29:01 AM »
For what it's worth I just spoke with Bill Ferguson (The Antimony Man) today. He is going to become an advertiser here on GBO in the near future. He is off for an 8 day vacation and when he gets back we'll be settling up and getting him added to the banner rotation.

When I was talking with him he made mention of another site he has that he sells metals thru. I tookk that to mean thinks like all the various alloys of lead to include linotype.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline WildcatTC

• Trade Count: (4)
linotype
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 11:47:35 AM »
thanks for the info I am still melting down the wheel weights I am really close to the end now and it looks like I am goingto end up with 310 pounds of the stuff so if I can get what I need with out buying linotype to make my bullets for 2000FPS I will be in bussiness for a long time.Till I find another stash of wheel weights.thien here we go again.

Boy this stuff is fun
One Shot One Kill

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
linotype
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 04:57:27 PM »
Quote from: Selmer
I have about 10 22lb pigs of linotype that I salvaged from a local newspaper.  I intended to use them for casting bullets, but then I noticed how expensive all of that equipment was, so I've just been using them for decoy anchors and fishing weights.  I be willing to part with most of them, save a couple for myself for when the idiots completely ban fishing with lead sinkers I can pour my own.  Let me know what you'd pay, shipping would be a high cost on these though.
Selmer

Shipping rules me out. If I lived within driving distance of you, I'd offer you your choice of $100 or $50 + the same weight in cleaned up WW which would serve your purposes as well. I'm sure that one of the boys who lives nearer you would match or better that.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.