Author Topic: TDC stock problem...  (Read 545 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
TDC stock problem...
« on: February 14, 2005, 06:30:43 AM »
Just a heads up for those of you who are going to order a TDC. I got one in last week and it came through with a plain walnut uncheckered buttstock and forearm. The catalog clearly states checkered!!! I called H&R today and spoke to Gordon. He informs me I was delivered a TDC that was manufactured last year (a HU serial number). I told him I specifically wanted a checkered stock as the catalogs describes and asked him if I could swap the stock. He said to return it to where I bought it. I told him I bought it at Wal Mart and they will not accept returns on firearms. He told me everyone will accept returns on firearms and I again told him the Wal Mart policy specifically states no returns on firearms. He then told me there was a price increase in the TDC's with checkered stocks, appx $213 last year with the plain stocks and appx $220 this year with the checkered stocks. Wal Mart now charges the price for the checkered stocks no matter what gun you get.
Hopefully it seems to be settled (?) for now. Gordon told me they have no checkered stocks on hand but he took my name and phone number to call when they get some checkered stocks in,   :)  (why am I laughing?, am I happy or don't I believe him?). Well, he has a great reputation for trying to please the consumer so I will continue to hopeful...

It all boils down to this, if you want the newer checkered walnut stocks be sure you specify it when you order the gun. I do not think the Wal Mart I deal with would do this ( :-D ) but yours might, I am sure a nice smaller gunstore would ask their distributor to make sure the serial number indicated is was made in 2005, "HV",  and not an "HU" serial number which indicates a 2004 manufactured gun.

Hopes this helps someone, I may be stuck with these stocks but that does not mean others are also....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re:Checkered Stocks
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 02:13:37 PM »
Where is this price thing coming from.  The Walmart order form shows the TDC 12ga for $143 and change.  What's this $213???  For $70, they can keep the checkering, as far as I am concerned.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
TDC stock problem...
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 02:59:29 PM »
The Wal Mart price as you correctly stated is $143 and change. Gordon quoted me the manufacturers (H&R's) suggested retail prices on the TDC's for 2004 and 2005, the difference being the checkered stocks. He said the price increase since the checkered stocks were introduced is $7.00....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Nightrain52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
TDC stock problem...
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 12:22:28 PM »
Thats one of the reasons I like dealing with a gun shop. I want to see and handle what I am paying my money for. I know if you are buying from Wal-Mart you don't have much choice if they have to order it. It looks like as well as these guns sell they would try to keep plenty in stock but this way they can use the wholesaler for a warehouse. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
TDC stock problem...
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 04:22:15 PM »
As long as you don't complete the transaction you can always get your deposit back or refuse the gun and have them send another. I know thats a big old pain but it's the cost of being thrifty.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
TDC stock problem...
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 02:34:41 AM »
Thanks Markus, that might be an option, although as you said it's a pain and very time consuming, not to mention the added expense of long trips to the nearest Wal-Mart in a truck that gets "not the best" mileage. In this case the barrel was promised to another and I wanted to fullfill my end of the bargain. It will work out I'm sure, after all, a smooth walnut stock is better than a smooth "pallet wood" stock!!!. The stock has been removed and carefully packaged awaiting a call (hopefully) from H&R CS. They said that I might be able to add the $7.00 difference (?) and exchange it for a checkered stock when and if they get some in. I'm happy with that and hope they call soon....<><.... :grin: