Author Topic: Last goose hunt of the year  (Read 282 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Last goose hunt of the year
« on: February 14, 2005, 09:29:07 AM »
We (myself and my hunting buddy) decided it was better to go hunting then go to work today.  Well would have been better if I went to work.  The day started out with snow then sleet, then a cold rain. Well we didn't see a darn thing flying.   Where do they all go when its nasty out ??????   But I did get to really shoot my 20 ga I just finished burishing the barrel on.  So it wasn't a total lose. The barrel job really improved this gun performance.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 01:57:08 PM »
I find a lot of times when it's really nasty or realy cold the geese don't travel far from the roost. They pop up and light the first acceptable place they see. That's why some feilds around the roosting areas are so expensive to lease and why the pro's go to so much trouble to create a roosting area. The low visibility make them easier to decoy though.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 12:01:32 PM »
Hey Markus thanks for the info.   The only thing I got from this hunting trip was a cold.  I've felt like crap warmed over for the last couple of days.  But tonight on the way home I stopped and got me a bottle of Jack Black and Jack and this cold is gonna have a talk.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 01:08:51 PM »
THAT A WAY, SWEAT IT OUT. :-D  :-D  :-D

I have about 10,000 geese roostin about a 1/2 mile away surrounded by wheat fields but the land owners won't let you hunt :cry:

I do have some fly low enough over the house now & then to put 1 or 2 in the freezer. tried some deeks but it is really open & they like the wheat, dorment grass is not as appealing :cry:
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 03:31:04 PM »
There's that great Army medical care for you. That was the remedy for quite a few things when I was in the Army. You gotta make it over to the Eastern shore Next season. I think I'm going in with a hunting buddy on a sweet lease that I've been mooching free hunts off of for the last couple years.If I go in on it I can bring whoever I want. The goose hunting is great and the duck is OK. I think there'll be a nice dove patch as well.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun