Author Topic: redfield rings&base's  (Read 502 times)

Offline ken s

• Trade Count: (0)
redfield rings&base's
« on: February 15, 2005, 08:05:22 PM »
How good are redfield steel  rings and base's should be no diffrent than leos right? :D  or not? they look about the same. have some older redfield rings. look just like the new ones was wondering if i should use them or buy burris sig rings, have used burris an like them. but these redfield rings look real nice. they look kind of sleek if u know what i mean if they will do the job as good i will use em. what do u guys think of them. gimmie some input ok.thanks.
                                  ken s :D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
redfield rings&base's
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 04:06:26 AM »
They and all like them on the generic Redfield patten are the sorriest excuse for an attachment system ever designed. The front ring is the ONLY one of the two actually holding the scope against the forces of recoil. The stupid windage adjustable rear almost assures you'll have them misaligned and that scope damage will occur. That type mounting system has ruined 90% (my guess) of the scopes ever sent back for recoil related damage.

Either use a dual dove tail system and only if you have the proper alignment bars and lapping tool or use a Weaver base. Either way use Burris Signature rings unless you have alignment and lapping tools.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline hunt127588

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
redfield rings&base's
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 04:28:28 PM »
Not that I dislike the mounting setup, not the worst I've seen. However, the metal quality of the Redfield base screws just plain sucks! I had a mom and pop sporting good's store mount a scope using Redfield bases and rings years ago. I later decided to replace the whole setup with a new Leupold scope and Leupold dual-dovetail mounts. The guy that mounted the scope/rings/base had stripped one of the base allen screws slightly. I then tried removing the screw during mounting the new scope and the base screw rounded out on me leaving me the only option I had ~ using a drill and EZ out bits to back the screw out. Talk about nervous. I got it out and didn't mess up the threads on the action's receiver. However, I would recommend Leupold's dual-dovetail system as a top-notch system. I bought a Wheeler Engineering lapping bar and scope alignment kit from MidwayUSA for around $35.00. It was probably the best investment made to date.