Author Topic: How long and with what  (Read 834 times)

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
How long and with what
« on: February 19, 2005, 08:43:44 AM »
I've been at it since the Summer of '96. Never have gotten involved with PP, shotgun slugs, RBs or non-lead cores, but either produce or experiment with the other types of bullets. Do 35 different calibers using manual or power presses.  Make lead wire in several diameters, and tube jackets if I HAVE to. All but a few tools have come from Corbin Co, and a very few from RCE. All of this is an outgrowth from my casting and reloading hobby since '69.   8)

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
How long and with what
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 01:45:12 PM »
You read right, but I don't have 35 sets: I make 35 calibers from about 28 sets with a few stand alone PF die add ons, and in other cases I use the CSW die of another set to make cores for  2-die sets without one. One thing nice about having lots of die parts: you usually can find an external punch that will work for the project at hand.
  I've received a few things from RCE during these last 3 years, such as die body replacements, JRDs, and a few punches. I may even have bought a whole die set from him... it's hard to remember. Richard (RCE Co) used to work for Corbins before 4 years ago as their master tool maker, and part owner. Most of the items I have from Corbins, therefore, are probably his, or turned out under his supervision. So, it would be impossible to compare what I have, but I'll make this observation: Richard continues to develop... to improve... the tooling. Corbin Co has a very fine product, but hasn't come out with anything new in the basic swaging line for some time. It's "S-Press" was the latest improvement. But, its line is much larger that RCE's. (Corbin does announce new auxiliary products from time to time). One thing for sure: Dave Corbin's books on swaging can't be beat and are an absolute must for your library. Today, if I was starting out, I'd most probably go with all RCE equipment as much as possible for the pricing. The quality of both companies are the same. But, always remember, Corbins is a firm with several workers and lots of assets, but RCE is one deep, and both Dave and Richard are no Spring Chickens.  I don't think there's been a bullet swage tool and die firm yet that has survived past one generation. This is real important when you start investing in  $6,000 presses and $400 die sets 8)

Offline Rick Teal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
How long and with what
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 10:22:06 AM »
I had to check my book in order to find when I started, but it was in the year 2000.

Up 'till now, I've been making only .35 calibre bullets, but I've just received a set of .312 dies and a couple of draw dies, so I'll soon be adding .312's, .311's and .308's to my repertoire. (I probably should have picked up a .310 draw die while I was at it.)

My .35 calibre set is from Corbin, while my new set is from RCE.

I make only jacketed hunting bullets.

I did design my own tip, based loosely on a type of bullet available from Imperial up here in Canada between the '30's and the '70's.  It's basically a hollow tip that outwardly looks a lot like the Bronze point or  Ballistic Tip.  For a while Corbin offered similar tip making kits (based on the work he did making my tooling), but it now seems to have disappeared from his web site.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
How long and with what
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 05:06:38 AM »
The Corbins were partners with Mr Smith, during the '60s I believe. It was Ted who developed the basic concept and table top tooling during the "early years" ('43-'65). Both the concept and product line were fleshed out and really promoted under Corbin management.
 As to external punches for your CS die, you will find that you'll need at least one for each lot of jacket wall thicknesses you'll be working with. This can mean at least 3 or 4. Then there are the "shaped nose" punches for the CS as well as the LSWC die bodies: Hollow point, Wad Cutter, Round nose, and so forth. The versatility spoken about in swaging comes at a price... those little punches are costly.
 When Rick said he 'checked his book' I very well understood what he is talking about. Anyone who swages HAS to keep records-what and when and where the tools and supplies came from-each "recipe" developed for a bullet-notes on what works and what doesn't-ideas to develop...and so on. If you are in the bullet business even more detailed notes should (or have) to be kept.  By the way, You won't need any licences in the USA to make bullets, but if you sell them you do! 8)