Author Topic: DANG IT !!! Shot the lug off my 22" barrel !!!  (Read 698 times)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
DANG IT !!! Shot the lug off my 22" barrel !!!
« on: February 19, 2005, 01:21:38 PM »
Just after I posted about how much I like it and never go anywhere with out it. At least it was done while making an impression on a couple boys that have never shot guns before.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
hh
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 02:20:42 PM »
what lug???whatca gona do now???

Offline Markus

• Moderators
DANG IT !!! Shot the lug off my 22" ba
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 04:08:57 PM »
the thing that the fore arm retention srew goes into. I cant decide whether to get a new barrel or a whole new gun .the only thing that is for sure is that I'll have another 22"barreled 12ga for my walking around gun.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 02:17:07 AM »
Thats quite a distance from the chamber, just have it brazed back on. Any auto body shop should be able to do it for a couple of bucks and about 5 minutes or less. Place the stud back where it belongs and hold it in place with a pair of vise grips or a steel C-clamp. (No need to put a lot of pressure on it and don't dent the barrel, just hold it in place. Have the guy at the auto body shop braze around where the 2 pieces of steel meet. If any of the solidified brazing rod hits the forearm grind it off or relieve the forearm. Don't throw it way and if you do, please throw it this way. I will happily pay the shipping and a few bucks for your trouble. It is perfectly salvageable buddy, don't despair....<><.... :grin:

For the amount of pressure on that stud you might even be able to spot weld (electric) it back on...or tape the forearm in place with duct tape... :-D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline RugerNo3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 02:59:26 AM »
NEF warranty will cover it. Your decision, but I'd opt for the factory deal. :D
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 04:48:09 AM »
I agree with RugerNo3, if the factory will fix it under warranty that is the way to go. I thought, perhaps wrongly, the factory would not warranty it since it had been altered (shortened). Perhaps a call to CS Monday morning is in order. Good thinking RugerNo3!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline RedRyder21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 06:19:15 AM »
Quote from: Markus
the thing that the fore arm retention srew goes into. I cant decide whether to get a new barrel or a whole new gun .the only thing that is for sure is that I'll have another 22"barreled 12ga for my walking around gun.

I don't have an answer or suggestion, but thats why I bought mine!
I love shotguns! :cb2:

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 07:21:47 AM »
I know the factory won't fix it under warranty because of my creative hacksaw work. I'll probably screw it up trying to fix it myself but that's half the fun. Maybe fun isn't the right word. I have never tried to weld anything small before. Usually at least 1/8" stock. Never tried brazing at all. I'll probably end up buying a welder  and a torch set just to fix my $30.00 used hacked off barrel. I could also go with the philosophy that I need a new gun. but I feel like I gotta do something useful with this barrel.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 07:33:44 AM »
Markus, I would suggest you ask someone more knowledgeable than I but I would suggest brazing over welding. I have done some welding at my buddies shop and even bought a little 110V home welder for a great deal, but I am afraid welding would get the barrel to hot. I highly suggest the brazing route. set it up in place and being held that way snugly but lightly with a c-clamp and stop at your local, small, friendly auto body shop and ask them to braze it on, $5-$10 bucks and your in business....At $10.00 the guy will be making about $9.75 profit for about 5 minutes work. My 2 cents anyway. If you want to by a welder and play with it that great and I suggest you do, but practice welding old iron pipes and leave the gun barrels for much later, if at all....<><.... :grin:

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
HH
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 04:19:23 PM »
HAVE A WELDING SHOP HERE IN TOWN WE ARE ON A FIRST NAME BASIS he knows when he sees me i usally have 3  OR 4 barrels 4 him to weld....brass solder will not hold a 12 HEAVYload....trust me.been there done that......silver solder is a lot better...but MIG WELD IS WHAT YOU NEED TO KEEP ON......GUY HAS A 9.00 MIN CHARGE SO I WAIT TILL I HAVE 3 OR MORE TO GET WELDED SO I GET MY 9.00 $ WORTH..CHECH YELLOW PAGES 4 A WELD SHOP NEER YOU AND fit with a c clamp thene all he has to do is weld it on ......JB