Author Topic: 12ga Slugs  (Read 1037 times)

Offline 10ga.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
12ga Slugs
« on: February 20, 2005, 04:13:36 PM »
Has anyone here had any experience shooting or reloading these:

http://www.gardnerscache.com/12ga_525_slug.html
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
12ga Slugs
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 04:19:05 PM »
I have no experience reloading in general but at $6.00 for 25 it doesn't seem worth the trouble since foster style slugs are about $6.00 for a box of 15.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Critter

• Contributor
12ga Slugs
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 04:25:31 PM »
Yes I have loaded and shot quite a few of these.  I haven't shot them in an H&R but I have shot them in a 870 and 11-87 with rifled barrels.  They are difficult to load sometimes depending on the hull and wad used.  They always shot very well 2 - 5" groups at 100 yards, but something outshot them in every gun I used so I have never hunted with them.  Make sure these are cast out of pure lead if your going to use them for hunting.  I do know several who have and they swear by them.  

Markus,
The advantage is with a rifled barrel.  They use a Winchester 1 1/4 oz wad as a sabot so you get no leading in the bore and they are dang accurate, and cheap for a sabot.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
12ga Slugs
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 04:32:21 PM »
Now I see a good reason to reload them if they can be shot through a rifled barrel with out the leading. I don't shoot a lot of sabot slugs in the off season because they are so pricy, but I shoot a couple rifled slugs evry time I take a walk just for giggles.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
12ga Slugs
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 05:04:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys :wink:

How about these:

http://www.shotgunslugs.com/Products/ppgKIT.htm
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
S&W .357 Model 586

Offline Markus

• Moderators
12ga Slugs
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 05:56:23 PM »
Now I  have to try loading some of those. I've wanted to give it a try for a long time. What would be a good powder?

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
Powder
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 03:58:28 PM »
Markus,
I posted this question in the Reloading section, we'll see what they say :wink:
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
S&W .357 Model 586

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
ii
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 04:06:11 PM »
yes i also have a mold they shoot so good i use active hulls and 1 oz.ww wads,reddot powderis best but unique runs a close 2nd....not as much recoil as factory and kills deer dead in tracks....been looking 4 a 20 mold to try 4 a friends daughter....no luck yet.........if you want to try some ill send you some just cover the shipping......JB

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
12ga Slugs
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 06:19:22 AM »
10 Ga
   Go with the Lyman slugs, they can be loaded in a regular shotshell loader and for me have been very accurate in three guns including my sons NEF Tracker 2.  I used to roll crimp slugs and it is a PITA, you need a fixture to hold the cases and a drill press to do a reasonable job.  When I load the Lymans I dip the petals of the shotcups in powdered graphite, they seem to load easier and shoot a bit better, I get 3" groups with them using Blue Dot loads from the Lyman manual.  We've taken 4 or 5 deer with these from 10 to about 125 yards, all one shot kills, none ran more than 20 yards or so.  I cast mine from wheel weights for the penetration.  As others have noted they do not lead the bore.
Best

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
Slugs
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 02:13:56 PM »
50Calshtr,
I don't have any equipment for reloading shotshells, that's why I asked about the ones in the second post. I could make a fixture to hold the shells and have access to a drill press to do the roll crimp. I used to reload pistol ammo years ago but this shotshell stuff is new to me. Could the slugs in the second post be loaded by hand without a press?
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
S&W .357 Model 586

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
12ga Slugs
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 07:55:37 PM »
Just for loading slugs...you can check some local shops or gunshows...and pick up a hand Lee Loader for around $10-$15 bucks...I used one for years...loading paper hulls...

Thanks for the links...I'll be checking them out on the 26th this month...acroos the river in Collinville at the up coming gun show...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
12ga Slugs
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 07:28:34 AM »
10 Ga.
    You could load without a shotgun press but I did as MAC 11700 suggested and got the Lee Load All for about $35 to size the bases and apply the 6 or 8 pt crimp.  You will need to resize the bases after firing unless you plan to use new cases each time which would rapidly eat up anything you save.   Best bet, I think, would be to find someone who loads shotgun, try the slugs using the published Lyman data and if you like the results get the mold and Lee press, about $85 if you buy new.  Then your only cost would be powder, primers and wads and you'd be set until geezer-dom forces you to quit.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
12ga Slugs
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 08:16:36 PM »
50Calshtr:

The $10.00-$15.00 hand press for shotguns...are getting hard to find...they are the same as the rifle hand sets...but it...and the more expensive Lee Load All have sizing capabilities...so...you don't have to buy new all the time...

Mac

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
12ga Slugs
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 06:17:34 AM »
MAC11700 & 10 Ga.
   I didn't know the less expense Lee 12 Ga. loader had sizing capability but now that Mac has mentioned it, it of course makes sense, and if 10 Ga is only planning to load a few at a time would be the less expensive route to go.  In any case I highly recommend the Lyman slug, no matter the source or the loader used.    Have fun guys.

Offline jbtazgrabber

• A Real Regular
DD
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 04:27:59 PM »
SOMEONE HAD A LEE LOADER IN THE CLASSIFIED CHEAP.....ILL SEND YOU SOME WADS AND SLUGS TO TRY IF YOU CAN FIND A WAY TO LOAD THEM........OH I USE ACTIVE HULLS BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE TO RESIZE THEM......I WORKING ON BUYING SOME NOW SO I MIGHT THROW SOME OF THEM YOUR WAY IF YOU WANT TO TRY THEM .......JB

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
12ga Slugs
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 07:29:36 PM »
I didn't get to make it to the gun show...had my hands full at home with a couple sick kids and wife...I've been trying to fight off this crap for the last month & 1/2...and am losing ground to it...

JB...if you get some of those slugs ...let me know...I would love to try them out for the smooth bore postal match out of my TDC...

Thanks,,,

Mac

Offline jbtazgrabber

• A Real Regular
gg
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 01:50:09 PM »
pm me with your adress and tell me how many ya need ....jb