Author Topic: CCW in New Mexico  (Read 684 times)

Offline Bushwacker

• Trade Count: (0)
CCW in New Mexico
« on: February 21, 2005, 12:38:44 PM »
Why in the world did the governor of Texas sign an agreement to let CCW folks in New Mexico carry in Texas but we can't carry in N.M.?

Offline NYH1

Re: CCW in New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 12:54:09 PM »
Quote from: Bushwacker
Why in the world did the governor of Texas sign an agreement to let CCW folks in New Mexico carry in Texas but we can't carry in N.M.?

I don't know, but I live in New York State (not New York City :grin: ) and there are around 10 or so states that honor New York's permit, but New York won't honor anyone elses at all! :(  :eek:  :x  :oops:  :cry:  :evil:  :twisted:  :roll: And that really sucks. I also have CCW permits in Pennsylvania and New Hampshire. I have never lived in either of these two states and have never even been to New Hampshire but they both gave me a CCW permit and it was a lot easier to get them then it was to get a "UNRESTRICTED CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT" (which I finally did get) in my own state. Go figure! I think if you have one in one state it should be good in every state!

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/new+york
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Charlie1947

CCW in NM
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 03:20:29 PM »
Hi Bushwacker, :D
I don't think Gov Perry or AG Abbott, could care less about what's right with CCW. I called off a trip for flyfishing in NM , at least partially, because NM was so antiCCW. Packing.org says that NM will hopefully be changing not honoring TX CCW this session. :grin:
Regards,
Charlie1947
Regards,
Charlie1947

Offline FWiedner

CCW in New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 04:19:18 PM »
Yeah, but isn't NM an open carry state?

AND if you carry in your vehicle, it can be concealed or not, because they accord it the same consideration as your domicile.

That means you can carry concealed in TX, LA, AR, OK, and then hang it on you belt when you cross the NM line and you'll have your sidearm in reach and ready to go it you need it.

It ain't CCW, but there's room to work with those rules.
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Jim101

• Avid Poster
CCW in New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 12:27:34 PM »
Speaking of Texas, I read today that the renewal for CHL is now 5 years instead of 4.....I'll "read up" on the NM issue..

Jim
Hi-Point 9mm

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
New Mexico CCW reciprocity
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 07:36:08 AM »
http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/State.aspx?ST=NM

This is an NRA site which has info on the latest on CCW in NM.

Short synopsis: House Government and Urban Affairs committe recently approved a bill to allow DPS to enter into reciprocal agreements with other states. Bill now moves to House Judiciary committee.

And yes, NM is open carry state.  And yes, compared to Texas, NM is/was anti-CCW but that seems to be changing...

I grew up in Canada and even the NM position (compared to yours in Texas) is massively pro-gun versus any government position in Canada!!!

We have a handgun in every room in the house, and one in the car... and for me, it is as much "because I can legally, without being hassled" as it is for protection!

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline rockbilly

CCW in New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 03:03:00 PM »
:P According to an article I read in the "Journal of The Texas State Rifle Association" Gov. Perry with the help of the Texas Attorney General recently signed a proclamation honoring the New Mexico Concealed handgun License and that of Colorado.  So you would think we now have complete bi-lateral reciprocity between the three states.  Not so, with New Mexico.  New Mexico law does not have a provision (yet) to allow those from another state to carry there.

I think there will be a change soon and Texans will be legal to carry concealed in New Mexico.  Several people are working this issue.  In the mean time I continue to carry in New Mexico............just put it out so the whole world can see it, then go about your business.  Mostly the same rule apply that govern carry in other States, no Post Office, schools, bars, etc  Course when you got it out on the hip for all to see, you sure draw some funny looks.

From what I've seen and read, Texas is one of the quickest states to enter into a reciprocating agreement with other states. It reflects the attitude of the majority of Texans on the right to carry.  Now I understand some congressman/Senator is attempting to get a federal law passes that would apply pretty much like a drivers license where every state would have to honor another states CCW.  Sounds good to me.............. :roll:

Offline Jim101

• Avid Poster
CCW in New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 04:00:55 PM »
I too am a member ot the Texas State Rifle Association, I noticed the  renewal period is now 5 yrs. instead of 4 yrs............This is the place to live...

Jim
Hi-Point 9mm