Author Topic: Dick's sport stores bought out Galyans ?????  (Read 960 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Dick's sport stores bought out Galyans ?????
« on: February 23, 2005, 10:53:10 AM »
I stopped my local galyans today to pick up a supply of turkey loads and I was surprised to find it had become a Dicks sporting good store.  But hey they were selling out all of the old stock...so I got myself a box of Sureme Winchester turkey loads and a box of Federal PREMIUM MAG*SHOK MAGNUM LEAD TURKEY and a box of PMC heavy game load for my 16 ga. all for $21.00
I am thinking about using my 16 ga as a turkey gun this year I understand that the PMC heavy field load is about as close as you can come to a Turkey load for a 16 ga.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Dick's sport stores bought out Galyans ????
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 12:56:30 PM »
You never hear anyone talk about using the 16ga for turkey. That alone is reason enough to do it. I want to take a dear with one next year for the same reason.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Somerled

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 01:21:14 PM »
I am sorry to see it. The Galyans I shopped at was far better than any Dick's Sporting Goods store. I never bought much ammunition and shooting accessories there, but we did get shoes, clothes and other outdoors gear there. The last time I went before the acquisition, I noticed the shelves were more barren than usual. I'll probably start ordering a lot of stuff.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
President Theodore Roosevelt, San Francisco, Calif., May 13, 1903

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
DICK'S/GALYANS
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 01:22:22 PM »
I called the local Dick's/Galyans and was informed that they don't carry any Single Shot HR/NEF firearms.  THAT REALLY CHAPS MY A.....
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline mrlizzzard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 05:20:51 PM »
Wasn't Dick's sold ?Galyans are good people

Offline JRSR126

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 06:22:01 PM »
The whole atmosphere at Dicks seems different than when it was
Galayans.  Atmosphere and music seems more upbeat and trendy than outdoorsish. I am thinking less emphasis on hunting and guns. I thought Galayans use to sell pistols. Dicks does not.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 01:24:06 AM »
I was excited to hear abou the dick's that came to our are a few years ago, but sadly disapointed when I went there. A bunch of know teen agers off the street and the guy in sporting goods new less than the average walmart guy. I went there once this winter and tried to buy a cheap gun cabinet they had on sale and the baffoons had lost the key to it! I gave 'em my business card and told them to give me a call if they find the key but haven't heard anything yet.. The gun "expert" referred to an NEF turkey gun as "a real nice crack-open" I don't a kid making pennies above minimum wage to be an expert but it's irresponsible for a bussiness to say they have expert staff when they don't. I picture the single mom taking her son in there for his first gun and getting advice from the "experts"
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 08:13:23 AM »
Check out the following article:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=132215&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=598768&highlight=

As of July 29th 2004, Dick's completed the acquisition of Galyans...Been a pretty long time boys...Where ya been?
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline RedRyder21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 09:24:09 AM »
I use to loke Galayan's. The other day I stopped by the new "Dicks Sporting goods" and I was dissapointed. The shelves were barren and they carried only a fraction of the firearms they used to. I asked and they said there weren't any plans to carry more firearms and other merchandise.

To put it simply, Galyans was a quality store and Dicks is on the same line as Wal-Mart....
I love shotguns! :cb2:

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 10:03:13 AM »
WNY_Whitetailer,
                            The one down here in gathersburg, Maryland just changed in the past month.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 01:30:49 PM »
The signs may have changed recently but the ownership changed back in July 04...The only thing I will miss about Galyans was the fact that they sold handguns...Other than that they were priced the same or higher than Dick's was.  There are four Dick's stores in my area along with a GAnder Mtn and the former Galyans that is now a Dick's.  That doesn't include all the smaller shops around...I am not wanting for outdoors stores...I won't miss Galyans.  I usually go to the Buffalo Gun Center for handguns anyways. Their selection and prices blew Galyans out of the water.  Dick's probably viewed Galyans as a economic threat and they did what they had to do to quell that threat.  Welcome to corporate America fellas.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense