Poll

What magazine capacity would you prefer for CCW?

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: February 24, 2005, 02:36:00 PM

Author Topic: CCW Magazine Capacities  (Read 973 times)

Offline Patriot_1776

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
CCW Magazine Capacities
« on: February 24, 2005, 02:36:00 PM »
I'd try to have at least 7 rds. in a pistol specifically for CCW chambered in 45 ACP.  Preferably, I would look to get a compact pistol in the same chambering that can hold 10 rds.        

:D
-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 04:10:35 PM »
7 works for me.   :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline williamlayton

CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 12:28:32 AM »
I have both large capacity and minimal capicity weapons available.
The strict answer to the poll is the more the better, however; I often do not abide by this rule and do so without feeling lacking.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline LMM

• Avid Poster
CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 08:49:05 AM »
5 rounds. (Revolver)

Defensive - not Offensive.  (Offensive will get you into trouble :D )

Defensive requires tactics to avoid a situation as much as to respond to one.  If I can't get the job done with 5 rounds I'm probably dead anyway.  In a survivable scenario I don't plan on using all 5.
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline Charlie1947

CCW capacity
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 03:12:07 PM »
Hi folks :D ,
Patriot, I agree with you. I made my CCW selection, I settled on the Para 12 .45, holds 10 rnds of .45. I previously had numerous 1911 clones, then I tried the small Para, it found a home. I'm really happy with it. My CCW renewal comes up in May.
Regards,
Charlie1947
Regards,
Charlie1947

Offline FWiedner

CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 03:26:43 PM »
I don't necessarily buy into the "more is better" theory.

If one cannot present an effective and formidable defense with 5 or 6 rounds, I'm not sure that that 9 or 10 more are going to help that cause.
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Charlie1947

CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 03:36:36 PM »
I would certainly agree with you in MOST instances, EXCEPT what about
multiple "bad guys"? Then, the more rounds the better. If you just emptied a clip in 1 bad guy, then you've taken yourself from a defensive
position to a bad guy yourself. There is just that very rare case of multiple attackers.
Regards,
Charlie1947
Regards,
Charlie1947

Offline FWiedner

CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 04:15:00 PM »
Well Charlie, I guess every balloon is there to pop.  :?

Multiple bad guys.   :eek:

Why didn't you just tell me that there ain't no Santy Claus?   :)
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 05:29:32 PM »
FW, Charlie,

I agree with both of you guys.  It is stated quite often, that proficiency is everything.  Having 10 rds that miss is much worse than having 6 rds that you are capable of putting wherever you want to.  

I believe it is a good idea to practice often, and keep one's shooting form and skills sharp.

-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline LMM

• Avid Poster
CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 10:03:33 PM »
Multiple Bad Guys.....

Why do you think they are going to stand there why you pick them off one at a time? Survivability in this situation isn't going to be based on how many rounds you have in your magazine.
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline Charlie1947

CCW Capacities
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 02:45:36 AM »
Gee guys, :eek:
LMM, maybe your seeing something in my post I didn't see when I wrote it. I certainly didn't mean that I expected the "bad guys " to stand still
while I "picked'em off". I just meant that in some rare instances, capacity might be nice to have. I have never seen on any shelf a "single shot CCW pistol", have you? No where have I said I didn't need to practice and know my weapon. I just thought 10 rounds would be approprite "for me". If you fellas have so much confidence in your abilities, then ask Smith or Ruger or Sig or somebody of your choosing
to put that single shot CCW on the market. I really like my Para!
Regards,
Charlie1947
Regards,
Charlie1947

Offline chris s

CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 06:02:29 AM »
Hey the most carried gun for years was a 5 shot j frame S&W. The wondernine craze hit and everyone was carrying hi-cap semis. As soon as the compact model came out those were carried. I known alot of cops who didn't carry a second mag because they had 10+ in the gun.If its too big and heavy to carry, it doesn't get carried

Offline inluvwithsara

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 02:56:24 AM »
"If its too heavy, it doesn't get carried..."
Lazy...
I carry a Glock 30 in the city, with two spare 15round mags...
or a S&w 36 sometimes, with a few speed strips...
and a Super Blackhawk 44 in the country, around the home with a pocket full of shells...guys, a glock 18 with a 30 round mag is lighter than my 44, but yet I carry and conceal it on a daily basis, normaly all day on the weekends...
I have also often caried and concealed a 686 smith for city carry...the weight issue is mute to me...get a good rig, and a good belt...with the right equipment, you don't even feel it...
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2005, 04:10:30 AM »
I own a pre-ban S&W 6904 with a mag capacity of 12 so that I what I am going with.  It works for me...Hopefully I don't ever need one shot let alone 12.  All 12 are there though if I need them.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 05:49:10 AM »
7rds mags in my 1911A1..   hoping to get a Chip McCormick 10rd some day.

7rd in my Bersa Thunder because the 9rd Deluxe mag is $38..
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • A Real Regular
CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2005, 07:33:49 AM »
10 HydraShoks in my Sig Pro .40

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2005, 07:39:03 AM »
Quote from: LMM
5 rounds. (Revolver)

Defensive requires tactics to avoid a situation as much as to respond to one.  If I can't get the job done with 5 rounds I'm probably dead anyway.  In a survivable scenario I don't plan on using all 5.

I agree. A 5-6 shot revolver is what you need for defense. I don't intend to go on offense. If so I'll need my remington 870 or my AR-15.
JM :P
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • A Real Regular
CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2005, 09:00:14 AM »
Quote from: bgjohn
5 rounds. (Revolver)

I agree. A 5-6 shot revolver is what you need for defense. I don't intend to go on offense. If so I'll need my remington 870 or my AR-15.

bringing my ar to a gun fight would prove interesting.

by the way, love your avatar.

Offline LMM

• Avid Poster
CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2005, 12:53:59 AM »
Quote from: bgjohn
5 rounds. (Revolver)

Either one will get the job done!  Don't have an AR but do have an 870.

LMM

--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline CB900F

CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2005, 11:30:32 AM »
Fella's;

My current carry gun has 10 round magazines.  That's because the gun didn't hit the market until after 1994.  However, I understand that the former LEO only 12 round mags are currently available - - - - - - if I wanted to bend over the barrel.  But I'm not going to do that.  

So, I feel no burning need to aquire 12 round mags, but will do so if the marketer's decide to enter my reality zone.  Their choice, my money.

900F
Trying to eat chili without drinking beer is like trying to breathe without using air.

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2005, 04:23:44 PM »
I voted for 6.  My Glock 36 is more than sufficient for what I perceive my defensive needs are.  Along with a reload magazine with 7 rounds, I don't feel undergunned.  

And I do carry my extended round mag in the weapon, occasionally.  Considering that the stock 1911 platform doesn't differ in capacity when I use the extended round mag, I don't feel slighted in the slightest  :P, as the 1911 was supposed to be THE defensive pistol for many years.  I went to Glock because of weight, as the 36 was easier to carry for me.

And I am not bashing the 1911, as I still own, and like my 1991A1.  It just doesn't get the CCW nod from me anymore.
"I SHOOT BACK!"     Uncle Ted

Offline CornCod

Complex Issue
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2005, 05:31:10 PM »
How many rounds for your CCW sidearm is a complex issue. Generally speaking its better to have more rounds, but this has to be balanced against the issues of handgun size and weight. The difficulties relating to the particular cartridge size should also be considered as the larger calibre handguns have smaller capacities.

When the bureaucrats finally process my paperwork for my CCW, I plan to carry my Beretta 9000S in 9mm which carries 10 rounds during the winter, but during the Summer I might go back and forth between my Stainless S&W Chiefs Special .38 (6) and my .22 Davis Derringer (2).

Offline TScottW99

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2005, 07:22:32 PM »
I carry a Glock 27 .40S&W as my CWW, it carries 10 rounds.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2005, 06:07:57 AM »
I ccw a SA V10 ultra compact, which came with 6 round mags. When I wanted more, my local gun store was out and sold me 2 Kimber mags, which are 7 round mags!

They fit perfect and haven't missed a feed in the+ 2000 rounds.
I carry most of the time iwb, "mexican style" which I like.

I don't think that anyone notices.

Be safe, be aware and be alive!

Offline rockbilly

CCW Magazine Capacities
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2005, 07:36:28 AM »
8) I really don't see where it makes a lot of difference in how many rounds are in your carry gun.  The point is, you have the weapon for self defense.  But...................I can sure see someone's point in having a 10-12 round magazine (with a back up in your pocket) if you live (survive) in a high crime area frequented by gangs.  You may find yourself in a heap of crap if you have to defend against a gang of 8-10 thugs all packing high capacity mags in their saturday night specials.  Course, my brother-in-law, the LA cop, seems to think all gang members are brave only to a point, and when the lead starts flying they flee.  Personally, I don't think it's always a perfect world, what if they are hopped up on drugs and don't flee?  Thats when a 12 pack, with an extra in your pocket may save your bacon.

Where I live, I think I stand a larger chance of being bitten by a rattlesnake than I do of having to face another individual with a firearm.  Therefore, while on home turf, I usually carry a small capacity firearm, course on those occasions where I visit the big city I may be packing something with a few more rounds.

Kinda like my Dad use to say, "Son, you gotta dress for the occasion." :roll: