Author Topic: Camouflage patterns for Alaska  (Read 1767 times)

Offline 379 Peterbilt

• Trade Count: (1)
Camouflage patterns for Alaska
« on: February 24, 2005, 07:08:56 PM »
We all know of camo such as real tree, mossy oak, etc, thats popular here in the lower 48, but I got to wondering what "flavor" would suit hunters best in say the open tundra or the fringe areas of moose country where they lurk in the areas of the higher elevations.

I am sure many resident hunters in Ak probably dont worry a whole lot about this as if their jacket is  geenish brown, then they are fine with it.

I'll be up in 7 months lookin for bullwinkle. Should I look for camo 'sides my M.O. shadow grass, or just wing it?

You Ak boys wanna set er straight? (dont tell yall are still wearin Vietnam camo)  :shock:

:-)

Offline Daveinthebush

• Trade Count: (0)
Whats wrong
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 07:58:42 PM »
And whats wrong with the Vietnam camo?????  Are you going to tell me I have to replace my Sunday best for Realtree? :)

Anyways, just about any standard camo will work.  But if it was late fall along the river I might opt for Advantage Timber or Seclusion 3D.  Fall happens quick here and you will have to blend in with Alder, Willow, Poplar, White Birch, grass and some spruce.

Here is a shoreline of a slough off of the Yukon about Sept 15th. Just a spike fork for the winter meat. Gee, I never noticed before the spike is right between my legs and might be mistaken for something else!!! :oops:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6995&highlight=first+moose
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Nushagak area
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 09:14:26 PM »
Last fall along the Nushagak I was wishing the grassy duck hunting camo would be available in quiet fabric instead of just hard finish water proof.  A lot of the camo seems too dark for me out on the tundra.  But I have bellied up to caribou while it watched me, in my old LL Bean coat that has one of the old woodland patterns.  I've enven wondered if some of the sage brush or desert patterns would work but I don't have the $ to go trying everything out there.

If you're hunting thicker brushy areas anything that breaks up your outline should help.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Yukon Jack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Camouflage patterns for Alaska
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 11:24:37 AM »
I hardly ever wear camo.  Never seen that it makes much of a difference to me.  I do try to buy clothes that are made for the task at hand and at a good price.  If they are green or brown or camo, makes no difference.  Camo is usually more expensive, so I don't have much of it.