Author Topic: grouse season is almost over !  (Read 484 times)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
grouse season is almost over !
« on: February 25, 2005, 03:28:39 AM »
it has been a great season to say the least, but sadly enough, there are only three days left in NY to hunt the ruffed grouse. i may get one or two more hunts in over the week end.

the bird population in northern ny was outstanding this year, probably the best i've seen. all the birds were healthy, no starvers, no signs of predation, just a bunch of nice fat birds.

work got in the way of hunting in december and january, i've got to get my priorities straight next season !!!

the stat's for this season where:

hunts to date - 12

birds - 34

longest clean shot - 48 yards

clean misses - 11

skunked - 2

limited out - 5

shots fired - 45

now it's time to clean the 410 barrel.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline stew

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 06:41:31 AM »
Good job, Good shootin.

Gun?  Choke?  I'm torn between gettin 410 or 28ga.

I'm leaning towards 28ga.  I'd buy a TDC if HR/NEF came out with one.

Congrats on a great year. :toast:
stew

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 07:04:10 AM »
Congratulations SG,

Man, no wonder you smoked those guys with the fancy shmancy guns at the trap range the other day. I'm afraid your kills would have been my misses, and your misses would have been my kills. :oops:

I wish we had more grouse (pats) around here like back in the day (60's & 70's), but I'm afraid that will never happen again. I might see one (1) every other year or two. I will occasionally hear one drumming when I am out turkey hunting, but very rarely ever actually see one. :cry:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 08:12:39 AM »
Sounds like you had a GREAT year SC and thats some GREAT shooting also!!! And with a .410 no less!!!  You really are a regular deadeye (I was going to say Annie Oakley but decided against it  :-D  :-D ). What did you do with them? Breast them and put them in the beanpot? That's the usual way the locals cook and eat them around my Maine camp....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 10:45:08 AM »
i used my 410 handi with a synthetic stock and forearm. it has a full choke as they all seem to have from NEF. i use the 410 exclusively on birds from bobwhites to pheasant. i also stuff as much 7 1/2 shot and H110 as i can fit into the case ! a 28 gauge would work nice too, i have a 28 gauge pardner and it shoots as good as the 410.

remember, with head shots, it doesn't matter what gauge you use !!! :)  although i'll say this, using a double barrel hasn't really helped me if (when) i miss a grouse. he is long gone into the woods, brush, or running like a banshee before i can get on him again and pull off the second shot. if (when) i miss, i just go after him again. and like shooting trap with handi, although i have a few, the big buck parkers and purdey's do not do any better than my handi !!!

this was a good year, and i hope the grouse population stays where its at or grows more. this year was almost like guided preserve hunts.

two recipes:

grouse soup - 2 birds breasted, chopped carrots, chopped red onion, chopped celery, 1/2 head coursely chopped escarole, diced tomato. 1 qt grouse stock. chopped basil, parsley, and cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar. saute onions and carrots in 1/4 cup of virgin olive oil until onions are golden. add stock and the rest of the ingredients. bring to a boil for 15 minutes, simmer about 10 - 15 minutes. you can always throw in some precooked spaetzel or egg noodles at the end. salt and pepper to taste. serve with coursely shredded parmesan cheese and a sprig or two of fresh cilantro. note - the balsamic vinegar prevents the onions from turning the stock blue and also imparts a nice zip to the soup, try adding more to suite your taste.

grouse stock - 2 qts water, take the two cleaned up carcasses, deleaded & plucked clean, but leave the skin and no guts. boil with carrots, celery, 1 large onion, 4 shallots, 2 large diced tomato's. a few good sized shakes of pepper, 1/4 cup kosher salt, pepper, 2 gloves crushed garlic. boil 1/2 hour then simmer until liquid is reduced to about half. strain once or twice through cheesecloth. let cool before using. (you can use this basic stock recipe for almost anything. for fish stock throw in a complete (cleaned) fish carcass, shrimp shells, lobster or crab shells.)

my favorite:

wrapped grouse - 4 birds breasted. chop meat into small medallions. lay out bacon slices in a complete square, lay the strips so they run from front to back and overlay each piece about 1/4". spread medallions over bacon. spread 1/2lb or so of sweet sausage over the square in very small pieces. spread chopped basil, parsley and cilantro over the square. begining at one near end begin to roll up the bacon and all the covering into a log. do this slowly and work your way across the square.  after it is rolled up, gently stretch each piece of bacon around to snug it up. stretch 2 -3 pieces of bacon lengthwise over the "seam" of open bacon strip ends. now either use cooking string and tie up the whole roll or use toothpicks to hold together. place the roll on a rack inside a baking tray. pour 1 cup of water or grouse stock into the bottom of the pan. cook at 350 until bacon is evenly browned, approximately 45 minutes. let cool 10 minutes and slice into 1" servings. serve with wild rice and asparagas. top with fresh cilantro. works with any wine, pinots and merlots are good as they are fuller wines. known to be eaten with beer too :) .

this works with any kind of fowl. i have used bobwhite, chukkar, crow, pheasant, grouse, chicken, duck, and squab.

mspret - i have to ask what a beanpot is ? how do you cook fowl that way ? post a recipe !

sg

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 01:04:11 PM »
A beanpot is just that, and old fashioned fired clay pot with a lid that can be placed in the oven. Usually brown and cream color, 2 tone brown or all solid brown. Buy dried beans of your preference, navy beans, pinto beans or the old new england favorite, soldier beans, more mealy and filling. Soak the dried beans in cold water overnight, drain the water, place in pot and season, place in oven to slow cook for a looooong time, when the beans warm and get hot put the partridge breasts in the pot to slow cook with the beans until done, excellent camp fare....The exact recipe for beans escapes me and this is from memory but there are bean recipes all over the net. If you are really interested I will research an old New England recipie from my wifes cook book(s) and get it to you.....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 03:12:23 PM »
well, i shot my brains out today, went home with one nice grouse in the bag.

i went out this morning with a buddy and his dogs. two short hairs. covered at least 2 acres and nothing. headed up into a thicket that ran parallel to a trail up the road a bit from me. not much there either. a farmer had a field of sourghum he used in rotation (?) i'm not a farmer but i guess it's that whole crop rotation thing. the cover was still poking through the snow. he let's me use any of his field for birds as long as there isn't any family or migrants out there. we walked a fence line that ran perpendicular to the trail, about 1/4 mile in we had a flush and i got off a shot, john emptied his 12 gauge benelli gas powered autoloader. the bird beat feet into a small thorny thicket next to an apple tree. i went in head first into the thorns ahead of the dogs and stopped.  the dogs headed in and rooted around. one more flush. i got him, the last bird of the season. he's up in the oven along with some potatoes and leeks.

sg

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 12:03:28 AM »
That's quite a take on Ruffed Grouse.  I've never limited out!

Its interesting to see the differences in their population cycles by region.  I spend a week deer hunting near Newcomb this year.  We were all amazed at the lack of birds compared to other years.  More predators in the Adirondacks now maybe?

BTW, I was born in Syracuse and once lived in your 'neighborhood.'  We had a house off Theresa Rd outside Watertown.  Small world.

Spent many Summers at my Aunt and Uncle's cottage on Chaumont Bay.  My older sister has a place on Wellesley Is.  Love that country!