Author Topic: Fitting a hand gun  (Read 451 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Fitting a hand gun
« on: February 25, 2005, 10:22:13 PM »
Folks i play golf and i understand fitting clubs, shafts and grips on those things but i do not understand the fitting ergonomics of pistol grips.
Please provide a thought on such a process.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline PeterF.

• Avid Poster
Fitting a hand gun
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 04:37:37 AM »
I'm no expert, but I've got a few handguns and held a lot more.  Some just feel better in the hand than others ... point more naturally & "directly" when picked up in a quick "natural" grip.  Two examples I can think of are: 1) the Ruger Vaquero, which you can get with either a "normal", Bisley, or birdshead grip ... same basic gun, different grip, which will each feel different to different shooter's hand; 2) Browning HiPower, with either the stock flat-sided walnut grips or the shaped plastic grips ... the latter just point more naturally (for me).  What with all the options of "stock", manufacturer-provided grips, plus the various aftermarket ones you can buy, I guess you could somehow improve the ergonomics by having truly "custom-fitted" grips made ... ones that actually consider YOUR hand size/shape.  Anyway, it's the same way your golf clubs (or rifle stock) is fitted to YOUR actual bodily quirks.  OR, like 90+% of us, you just adjust yourself to whatever the company sold you and do as good as you can.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Fitting a hand gun
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 06:11:18 AM »
Mr. Layton, I'm no expert either, but after teaching the handgun to many dozens of people over the years, I'm quite convinced that the grip is the most important consideration in matching the gun to the shooter.  No one shoots well with a grip that's too big for their hands, but many large-pawed shooters do well with undersize stocks.  It also works that way with rifles, an overly long length of pull is ungainly, but one a little short is no problem.  Most of the guns I've loved but sold later just didn't have the right feel.  I have small hands and long fingers, and I bet I've spent five hundred dollars on grips in the last 20 years, always trying to make the gun fit me better.  Once I found the right grip, my shooting improved, my confidence soared, and life was good.  There is no one perfect grip for everyone, but some designs are better than others.  The CZ-75 family is especially ergonomic, the Ruger revolvers with the grip frame stud can use nearly any grip imaginable, and there are others.  While I think it's a shame that custom grips have to cost as much as they do, I will also say that few things can get a shooter and a handgun to do well together.

Good triggers also help a lot, too!

And quality sights are nice to have, as well. :roll:  

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
grip fits
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 11:31:59 PM »
I am by no means an expert.  One thing I want to bring up is that some guns can feel great to me until I actually shoot - especially heavier recoiling guns.  I had Pachmayer presentation grips on a Ruger Security 6 and SW 57 that I liked but never shot either very well - I have small hands and these grips were too large for me - especially the 57.  I shot a gun with some Hogue overmoulded grips and liked them.  I put Hogues those two guns and shoot them much better now.  The back strap of the gun is exposed with the Hogues and I can reach the trigger better and hold the grip more easily even though I get less recoil "protection".  Same for a Taurus 92 I have.  The factory grips felt ok until I was trying to make quick shots in cool dry conditions.  The the gun would twist in my hand.  Thinner Houge grips helped a lot here too.  The grips that fit me the best of all are the factory and Crimson Trace grips for my Ruger SP 101.  Just wish the CT grips had a soft rubber panel in them for a little tackyness.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
Re: Fitting a hand gun
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 10:14:51 AM »
Quote from: williamlayton
Folks i play golf and i understand fitting clubs, shafts and grips on those things but i do not understand the fitting ergonomics of pistol grips.
Please provide a thought on such a process.
Blessings

A little trick I found out about many years ago on how to fit a handgun for your grip was this.  Pick out several pistols that you're interested in, make sure they're unloaded and ask the clerk if you can pull the trigger to test them. If he gives his approval, most gun shops have a mirror mounted on the wall. Take the pistol in your hand, point directly at the mirror and line up the front and rear sights, taking notice of what you're looking at in the mirror. Slowly squeeze the trigger and if the sights stay on target in the mirror, you're found a good fit. If the sights wander off some, that guns grip is not for you. Try it next time you're looking for a pistol that will be accurate for you, it works.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson