Author Topic: Some newbie shotgun questions.  (Read 512 times)

Offline Dirty Tiger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Some newbie shotgun questions.
« on: February 26, 2005, 03:24:21 PM »
I just recently purchased my first shotgun, a NEF Pardner Turkey 12ga with a 24" BBL and screw in turkey choke.

I have a few of question re: chokes.

Will I damage the BBL threads if I fire the gun with the choke removed?

Will I damage the Choke if I shoot non-lead shot?

If I buy a box of shells that is not clearly labeled LEAD does that mean the pellets are a material other than lead?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 03:29:21 PM »
That's a great gun. Yes you will damage the barrel threads if you shoot it with no choke tube fully seated in place. I say shoot anything out of it except steel. If you must shoot steel be sure you have a choke tube specifically designed for steel, then it would be OK. If the box of shells does not say what the shot is comprised of, then it is lead shot. Other than steel you can shoot all other shot out of your gun with any choke tube in place and not damage the barrel or choke tubes...<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Dirty Tiger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 03:51:29 PM »
Whoops! I a shot no.9 and a 00 buck with the choke removed but the choke seemed to go back in ok afterward.

I wont do it again I promise :?

About the shot pellets: Are you saying that unless a box of shells is labeled STEEL it is gonna be lead shot?

*I've had to edit every post I made tonight.....sheesh!?!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 04:09:04 PM »
There are lots of other things it might say. Tungsten-matrix, Hevi-shot, bismuth and other non-toxics that are designed as lead alternatives in areas where non-toxic shot must be used. Around here it is used exclusiveley for waterfowl here. Don't get caught goose or duck hunting with lead shot in your possesion.. Buy a cylinder bore choke tube for your gun and shot some slugs just for kicks. What part of colorado are you in and what are you hunting with new 12 ga.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Dirty Tiger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 07:22:35 PM »
I live in the far southwestern corner of the state.

Once I get my hunters saftey thingy. I plan on using it for fall turkey.

'Till then I plan on shooting anything I can get away with.

Today I took care of some deadly Steel Coyotes and Bobcats that were lurking around the Cowbay Action range.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 01:43:21 AM »
Pretty country down that way. I only passed thru there a few times. I was in colorado spings in the Army and then I chased girls at CSU up in Ft. Collins for a few years. I miss Co. a lot but not as much as I missed the ocean here when I was out there. I've heard that things are a lot different now then when I was out there. I put Windsor in a real estate search engine and came up with like 300 houses! I dont think there were 300 houses in the whole town when I was there let a lone 300 for sale. Back to hunting are you planning to use it on coyote? I 've heard some amazing things about the range and performance of Hevi-shot  coyote loads.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Dirty Tiger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 01:44:04 PM »
I have a friend who is a rabid Coyote hunter so I'll may give it a try, but I will most likely use my .308 Handi.