Author Topic: Barnes bullets...are they for real?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Barnes bullets...are they for real?
« on: February 26, 2005, 05:06:48 PM »
Was wondering what you folks though of Barnes bullets?  The reason why I ask, is that I have been thumbing through their Reloading Manual #3 and was rather suprised on how small of cartridges they recommed for deer.  45gr. bullet in the .22 Hornet and .22-250 for deer?  :shock:  You guys are a lot more experienced than me so I would like to hear what you think...  It sounds way to small to me, but I also think my .280 is a little bit on the big side for whitetails.  Hmmm....90gr. bullet out of a .257 Roberts is my idea of a whitetail round.  Now that, would be a sweet caliber for a handi....257 Roberts!

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 05:34:25 PM »
FredM would love to hear you talk dirty about the Roberts like that> :grin:

The bullets mentioned WOULD kill a deer if everything goes perfectly.  Not sure about from a Hornet though.  A 223 will definately do it, one soht kill, but it better be a good double lung shot in experienced hands.

The Barnes triple shock have an excellent reputation for power and accuracy.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 07:57:55 PM »
From everything I've read on them...and talking with those who have used them successfully on all types of game...they would seem to be excellent...they open quickly and penatration is great...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 08:23:12 PM »
they work very well. Since there is no core to seperate there is not the worry of bullet blow up. They penetrate like no other expanding bullet could hope to do and do good internal damage. The down side is cleaning the copper fouling out. This is easier if you use use the coated bullets.
shot placement is everything.

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 01:51:56 AM »
A friend of mine, that I reload for, used his Hornet with the 45 gr barnes on wild hogs at the ranch he guided on in Texas. They try to keep them thinned out because they eat the corn ment for deer from the feeders. One year he shot six hogs that weighed between 90 and 200+ lbs. Four were one shot kills. Two required a finisher due to spine hits, they were down but not dead. Of these 8 shots only three bullets were recovered the rest were pass-thrus. Two of these were classic X's the other had lost one petal of the X.

So in answer to your question, yes they could kill deer but only if your willing to wait for the classic?????? standing broadside shot at short yardage. For the Hornet I'd say 50 yds or less.
Dave375HH

Offline barberx

• http://www.rgcustomcalls.com
Barnes bullets ??
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 04:49:53 AM »
I don't have a Barnes manual,  could you possible scan page with 22 Hornet loads for me ?? Wondering which bullet they show for deer ?
Richard TX
www.barber@axs4u.net

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 12:55:50 PM »
Richard,
I just tried again and my scanner isn't working! :(   The bullets they show for deer is the 45-grain XLC BT, 50-grain XFB, 50-grain XLC FB, 50-grain VLC, and both the 53-grain XFB and XLC FB.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 01:41:39 PM »
I emailed Barnes to question them about the .22-250 for deer.  Here's my reply...going to get a new barrel!

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the email. Yes this information is correct. The Make a Wish
foundation took some kids out in Idaho last year and took a nice mule deer
at 300 yards with a 53 gr. .223. The shot broke both of the muley's front
shoulders.

We Aim to please, reloading is a great hobby, enjoy it.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 05:00:53 PM »
I've used the 180 30 cal XBT twice on elk and both went down promptly with very little meat damage.  Velocity was about 2580.

IMO, the X is a great choice for both high and low velocity cartridges.  High vel cause it holds together at the highest velocities and low vel cause it expands at the lower end and still retains good sectional density after expansion to give the penetration that could be lost with over expansive bullets at low vel.  That's my theory anyway.

My accuracy was not great and they are pricey to play with but I'll probably do it again, specially if they come out with some good .311 or .312 bullets in 180 grain size.  Probably a real low priority at Barnes though :grin:

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 06:25:11 AM »
My wife used the Barnes 250gr in her 30-06 Remington 7400 to stop a charging Grizzly.  I have no complaints, they did the trick.  Of course she did not stop shooting till she emptied her 10 round magazine, and a scared woman don't miss.  Since he had been hit so many times I never knew which bullets did the job of stopping him.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Barnes X
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 06:24:40 PM »
I have hunted White tails with 130 gr X bullets. (270 win) Didn't enjoy all the copper cleaning.... but performance is awesome. I shot the bullet at 50 yds into a gravel hillside and dug in to recover the bullet. found one over a foot into the hill and it had only lost 7 grains of its original weight. If I buy them again I am going to drop down a bullet wt for deer. And use the 130 gr for elk. They do what they say. we shot three deer with them last fall one out at 225 yards and that was a pass through as well. we found no bullets in game. I used to shoot 130 speer spitzers and had excellent results from them as well. I would just never think of using the speer 130 for elk sized game.  Good luck! Brent

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Barnes Bullets...are they for real?
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 08:14:04 AM »
I have had great success with these bullets. I started one of my boys off
with a .243 Handi Rifle at about 11 Years Old. I started my younger son
at 10 with a .223 Handi Rifle. In both cases they would would sit with me
& I would let them shoot deer at 50 yards or less and broadside.
Under these conditions the 53 Gr. 223 & the .243 85 Gr. worked well with
complete passthroughs & descent wound channels.
I have used them in my .25-06 Sendero with 115 Triple Shocks at 3,250
with very lethal results on Antelope, Mule Deer & Whitetails. For example,
I shot a good Whitetail that was quartering toward me in the point of his shoulder & it exited his rear leg on the opposite side. I am confident with this load to at least 500 yards on Large Deer & down. I am going to work up a with the 100 Gr.TSX in my .25-06 Ultra. Some guns don't like
these bullets & they can copper foul alot in some barrels, but the Triple
Shock has solved these problems in most guns.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Barnes
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 11:55:10 AM »
Here in Fla. our deer are very small. A .243 is standard for a lot of people. In far southern Fla. lots of people there use a .22 Hornet.

But then again a .40 cal is also used here for muzzleloader season.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 01:32:03 AM »
I saw an article about John Lazzeroni using 130 .308 dia. X bullets in a 7.82 Warbird. He had it cranked up to 4000 fps and killed deer like lightning. Lazzeroni factory loads now feature Barnes Triple-Shock X bullets that have been MP3 coated by Robar to reduce fouling & give very high velocity & preformance.
Dave375HH

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 06:04:28 AM »
This may be a dumb question but what is a 7.82 warbird? That's one i have never heard of. :?

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 06:12:52 AM »
Lazzeroni makes some nice custom rifles in their proprietary calibers....

http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_rifles.htm

Tim :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 08:22:29 AM »
Lazzeroni makes some nice custom rifles in their proprietary calibers....

Can you say LOUD...and expensive :)  :)  :)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...