Author Topic: Mossberg 500's  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Bulldog

• Trade Count: (0)
Mossberg 500's
« on: February 09, 2003, 11:41:51 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about the best choke and load combination to use with a Mossberg 500.  I own a Mossberg xx-full choke tube and have shot many different shells at targets.  I was not satisfied and think I need to change my choke. PLEASE HELP. :roll:

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
I have mostly used a Mossberg 500 for Turkeys..
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 12:57:58 PM »
Mossberg makes an extra full choke that has always worked well for me. I also bought an 'after-market' extended choke that protrudes out of the barrel about an inch, it is called 'The Exterminator', or something like that.  I found that the 'Exterminator', or whatever it is called is crap...It seems as though it has a 'focal point' between 25-30 yds.  outside of this range it spreads out and goes kapooee.  Sort of like the way light  a magnifying glass focuses the light of the sun.  You have a focal point, but if you go beyond that, it spreads out...like the intersecting lines in an 'X'.  I usually use the Mossberg X-tra full with 3" Remington  Premium #4 copper plated, and the choke and the shells are a deadly accurate combination.  The last few years, I have been playing with #5 shot with these shells also, and they seem to work well.
  I have taken turkeys out to about 45 yds with the 4's.  The smaller the shot that you use, the more  concentration of pellets in an area, but the heavier #4 pellets will go further and still have enough energy to penetrate at longer range.  In a perfect world....you would want to be 25 yds, and take your shot at the very moment he Gobbles and throws his head forward, hence...the old explession...."That's what you get for sticking your neck out".  This way, you aim slightly over the top, center on the top of his head and you dont put a bunch of pellets in that good breast meat.
  P.S.  I really like the double bead on the Mossberg.  I just recently got a  3 inch full choke barrel for my Remington 1100, and I am planning to  have this second bead installed in it as well.  I really trust that double bead for accuracy.  I seem to be having a little trouble with the single bead on the Remington putting the shot where I want it to go, but havent worked with it much yet.  My Mossberg...just pick it up and shoot, and it is right there.
....make it count