Author Topic: Old Topper ??  (Read 450 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Old Topper ??
« on: March 03, 2005, 12:18:42 PM »
Can someone please tell me what Serial # prefixes to look for in used Toppers to get one that came with 30-30, .357mag or any of the other combos that came with rifle barrels.  If you have one of those, will the factory fit a rifle barrel to it, if you don't get the rifle barrel with it on the used rack.  Someone mentioned the Topper 158 as the model this was done with.  Is that correct.  Are there any other distinguishing marks or numbers.  One last ??  Have they always etched the last 3 of the serial # on the barrel that is factory fitted to a frame or is that something just started in the last few years.
Thanks
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Ed in AL

• Trade Count: (0)
Old Topper ??
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 05:11:21 PM »
I have a Topper 158 16 ga. that was my first gun. I got it for Christmas roughly 30 years ago. It has an AJ206XXX serial number. The barrel does not have the last three digits etched/scribed on the lug like my NN serial Handi.

Also, my Handi barrels (.223, .44, .243, and 12 ga.) will all lock up tight on the Topper frame. My 16 ga. barrel from the Topper will NOT lock on the Handi. I would consider shooting the 12 on the Topper, but nothing else. An old Topper barrel would be cool in 30-30 though.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Old Topper ??
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 01:17:48 AM »
Even if you found an old receiver that had a rifle barrel The current H&R/NEF wil not fit barrels to anything made by the old company. they only install barrels on their guns that have been made since 1987 and have serial numbers that begin with N or H. A lot of folks say that lower pressured cartridges would be fine on shotgun receivers. I don't know
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun