Author Topic: Magma Eng. Star bullet sizers compared to the old Star  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Ken Wood

• Trade Count: (0)
Magma Eng. Star bullet sizers compared to the old Star
« on: March 03, 2005, 04:12:34 PM »
Hello everyone I am new to this forum and would like to say thanks to everyone for all the good information that I have received from just reading and not posting. My question is how does the new star sizer made by Magma Eng.  Compare to the old style made by star in San Diego. The other thing was how to keep bullet moulds from rusting when not in use. What is a good thing to put on them?
Thanks for your time
Ken
:toast: Elmer Keith a legend in his own mind
           P.O. Ackley the best of the best
 :D

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
Magma Eng. Star bullet sizers compared to t
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 03:08:49 AM »
I have never used a Magma, or seen one up close, but I have purchased parts for my Star, including one casting from Magma, and they were identical.  Magma has replaced the Black Hycar washer with a White Nylon one, and they have added an O-Ring to the bottom of the Die chamber to prevent leakage.  Otherwise the Star and Magma/Star seem to be identical, and the parts are interchangeable.

Offline frank405

magma
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 04:39:56 AM »
I have three star sizers, i am not sure what vintage they are but all of them are the same as the rest. magmas service is spotty at best, when you ask for a size die to be shipped overnite and a week later you call and get a lame excuse and then it happens again a month later i begin to find other sources.

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 07:07:04 AM »
Of course the service you get from Magma is going to be a lot better than the service you get from Star.

I've had mixed results from Magma.  Sometimes I get a part of die in a couple of days, sometimes it takes a week.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 04:13:29 PM »
I got 2 Star and 2 Magma. I can tell no difference in use other than changing the sizing die. One of the old ones has taken about one ton of alloy and one of the new ones perhaps 3 tons. The hobby caster will be a while wearing one out.
Joshua 1:9

Offline Kenneth L. Walters

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 05:50:47 PM »
Magma's service is EXCELLENT!  Probably a bit better than Star's was.  Yes I know that there are a few who can not wait a couple days for their magma orders to come but, well...  Not everything is kept in stock.  Daming a company because they don't have every single part in stock says more about the complainer than the company.

I've owned maybe eight Star made lubricator/sizers and two Magma made ones.  I can not tell them apart.  Both companies do excellent work.

A few years ago RCBS's customer service on the phone over Christmas was very slow, poor even.  Most of the firm had been given a christmas vacation at their request.  Only two locals were going to man the phones.  One, Jay Postman, a long time friend, suddenly died.  That REALLY caused problems with RCBS's phone inquiries.  I explained to someone who was going ballistic what happened.  The nut went so far as to suggest that Jay should have picked a better time to die so that he would not have inconvenienced this nut case.

Similarily I've done business with Buffalo Arms for years.  The one part I need they don't have.  I've been waiting two weeks.  Might have to wait a couple more.  Does that mean that Buffalo Arms provides poor service?  I don't think so.  I think that it means that occasionally we have to be patient.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 05:20:20 AM »
Well said Mr. Walters.

I've had a problem or two with Magma. They are after all one of the major suppliers to companies like mine. I can say though Robert handled all to my complete satisfaction.

Offline SGD

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 03:33:34 AM »
Creeker,  I assume that you are happy with the star sizers for those Keith bullets?

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 02:45:27 AM »
I'm very happy.  As with all equipment there's a learning curve. Once I figured it all out things are fine. I bought my first Star used with no insturctions so it too a bit.

I've used the base heaters, bullet feed, and air feed for lube. All, and I mean all has worked well.

Offline WW1

• Avid Poster
Star
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 03:50:33 AM »
Good Morning......I sure hear alot of mixed feelings abut the Magma Star...I am going to assume that lBH being in the business is a good voice to trust...I emailed a guy who is supposed to be MR. STAR, and asked his oppinion his answer was "An old Star is worth twice as much money as a new Magma Star!!!!"....evidentually some are lsitening to him as they are mostly selling for more than you can buy a new one for...am wondering what all of you think?...is it like some other things and people are spreading rumors just to keep the price high on the older vintage stuff?...I am hoping you all are right as I cant seem to find a size die for my 45-70 anyplace and may have to buy new...hahaha...one question..is there any source for flux besides ordering from places like Midway?...figgured it would be easy to find, but ran all over the town I live in and they look at me like I have one oar out of the water...there has to be a source, doesnt there?...anyway just my thoughts..WW!
All a man has is his word and good name...

• Avid Poster
??
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 05:27:25 AM »
Who is Mr. Star?

I use to collect reloading presses.  Had one each of every one they ever made including their straightline.  Ellord Mott, the designer and part owner of Star, gave that to me.  Probably owned 8 star lubricator/sizers.  I've had two Magma/Star's.  Don't see any functional difference.

Offline Lvl1trauma

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 03:14:25 PM »
WW1,
You can't find flux? Just get some candle wax or old crayons. Lots of other things can be used for flux.

Lvl1trauma

Offline WW1

• Avid Poster
Star
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 01:29:31 AM »
Hi all...by Mr. Star, I was talking about a gentleman named John Paul Jones..that is my nickname for him.....he used to be the repairman for Star some years ago and seems to know quit a bit...has lots of old star stuff he is selling because of health...as for the flux, thanks for the tip..I am new to this stuff and hesitate to throw things in the pot without knowing...hahaha...I will look a bit longer and then will probably have to order things from Magma....just my thoughts...WW1
All a man has is his word and good name...

• Avid Poster
Mr. Star
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2005, 02:19:46 AM »
Got an e-mail address for him?  There are several questions about Star Machine Works that I'd like to ask him.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 03:45:45 AM »
Mr. Walters: He can be found here at the bottom of the page under moderator. He sold for Star and California Saeco. He's a saleman, enough said.

http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?s=08e9b34cffd20747737ff087cf26084b&forumid=15

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2005, 02:27:46 AM »
he may be a salesman but he was casting when most of us were shooting bb guns. He does know what hes talking about if you pick his brain. this is a web sight of his. Theres a star owners fourm on it. http://groups.msn.com/BulletCastingPistolGripsReloaders
blue lives matter

Offline bobthenailer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2005, 12:54:52 PM »
hi ive had good service from magnma  on several occasions, i had trouble with star 1 time they said they lost my order i think it was just before they went out of busness other than that occasion i had good service from star i  own 2 star lube sizers 1 for 20 odd years and another for about 8 years no problems with either .

• Avid Poster
Mr. Star
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2005, 05:36:17 PM »
I sent him an e-mail is some questions about Star history but never heard back.  Too bad.  I really would like to have heard from him.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 01:43:32 AM »
Mr. Walters he's a sick man. In the past he has written much on the subject so perhaps a search will bring up the information you're looking for.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2005, 01:14:52 PM »
like creeker said hes very sick he has a terminal illness. We email each other occasionly but i havent heard from him in a couple weeks. Your best bet is to go to the star owners group websight he has and register there and contact him through that avenue.
blue lives matter