Author Topic: Range Lead  (Read 657 times)

Offline TAC

• Trade Count: (0)
Range Lead
« on: March 04, 2005, 03:43:24 AM »
Hello all I'm new here and would like to say that this is a great forum. I have been reading the posts for some time and now I have a question. I have a chance to get an unlimited supply of range salvage lead the stuff from the bottom of the bullet back stop . I'm getting real low on my WW. The aloy that I use now is 9lbs WW and 1lb of 50/50 and I am happy with the hardness. My Question is what can I do to get the same hardness from the range lead as it seems to be real soft. There is a lot of .22 shooting at our club . Thanks for all your help

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Range Lead
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 05:41:47 AM »
either add lynotype to the mix until you get the desired hardness or try water dropping your bullets.
blue lives matter

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Range Lead
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 05:51:25 AM »
I have been using range lead to cast my silhouette bullets for several years now.  It comes from our indoor range and almost all 22 lead.  Yes it is soft but I have fornd that if it is cast very hot and lubed with lee liquod alox I have some of the most accurate bullets that I have ever used.  From my 357 I have been shooting in the 1200fps range and in my Hornet the 1650fps range.  Accuracy has been great and I have gotten no leading at all.  These are not very hot loads but accuracy will win the match every time.  I gas check the hornet but the 357 goes bare.

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
Range Lead
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 03:58:47 PM »
I just about used up 120 lbs .22 rimfire lead from a indoor range that allows only .22 shooting. I used it all in my Sharps from .40 to .50 caliber.
I'm looking for more.

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline TAC

Range Lead
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 06:56:12 AM »
Thanks guys for your replies . I think I will try the water quenching as I have not done that yet . I wish I had a hardness tester but I will use the thumb nail trick  :oops:   Also some one told me that if I added a 1/4 cup of shot to the mix that the antinony will help make it harder . Has any one herd of this and how much would you add to a 20lb pot ?

Thanks again and it's great to have a place that I can get so much info on this subject  

TAC

Offline Kingfish

Range Lead
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 07:11:50 AM »
TAC,

Magnum shot is 6% antimony. I'm not sure what regular shot is but have heard 2% antimony. It's not cheap, but I have bought lead-free solder that was 95% tin and 5% antimony. Go easy with the 50/50 as tin is expensive and there are several ways to make your bullets harder.

Bill