Author Topic: Painting a Handi??  (Read 1820 times)

Offline redneckd1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« on: March 04, 2005, 05:48:02 AM »
Anybody ever paint their Handi? I was reading some stuff on Varmit Al's page and came across his painted rifle and some others. The barrel would be easy to paint, but what about the frame? I'm thinking of the moving parts and the plastic trigger guard being a little tough for paint to stick. Also, the stocks, has anyone painted a synthetic stock? Did the paint stick? Primer? Sanding to rough it up?
As always any help would be appreciated.
Thx,
R
Cheers,
R

I'm not broken, but you can see the cracks :eek:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 05:56:56 AM »
I've not painted a Handi, but I have painted a couple break barrel turkey shotguns using the camo 4 packs of paint from HS. They needed touch-ups every couple years, but there was no problem in doing so, and the paint keeps em from rusting. You just need to degrease good so the paint will adhere well.

http://www.hunterspec.com/Updateable/update_display.cfm?pageID=766&categoryID=29
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 05:58:39 AM »
Don't know what colors you want but Krylon makes a paint called, I think, Fusion.  Made to put over plastics.
Luke 11:21

Offline jeff223

Painting a Handi??
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 07:14:18 AM »
when it comes to painting handi rifles i am an old pro at it.i dont paint the entire gun but just the pallet wood stocks.just take the shine off from that pallet wood with some fine sand paper and then drift on a couple of coats of nice Wally World flat black. :-D looks real nice to :-D

Offline stiff neck

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 10:47:55 AM »
Use primer before you paint.  ALL paint directions say to use primer.  There's a reason....

Offline mrlizzzard

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 11:44:48 AM »
here's what I heard to do:
Sand it with 000 then spray with distilled water,sand again,prime it and sand real light.I think a red white and blue stock would look great.
lizzzard

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 06:55:34 PM »
Here's what I did today.

Set up my handi on a V Al bipod on the garage floor.

Spray from the top down with olive drab.

Spray from the bottom up with sandy tan color.

Picked up an old dried up oak leaf and repeat to give a little depth.

The new military camo is going with NO black and in some pics I noticed everything on my camo jobs was blending in but the black stuck out. So I went with the 2 color job. I like it so far. They say it prevents being able to focus on anything to make it catch attention.

Emphasize the lighter color underneath where there is shadow and the darker color on top and where there is shine and light.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 07:03:50 PM »
How about a pic, Jack???? :grin:

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 07:04:40 PM »
Here's a before pic,

I just looked it over a little today after drying all night. I'll get a pic tomorrow or so.

The bipod in this pic is what convinced me to just do it.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 04:12:44 PM »
I go to the archery supply storesand get the paint to camo bows.  It's put out by Hunter's Supplies.  I think it's the same stuff Quick is talking about.  Anyway it works good, real simple to use just need to degrease well.  Covers everything good, only scratches off easy, not a problem just hit it when you get home with another spot coat at the scratch.  The main reason I like this stuff is it's so simple to remove.  Just spray with the supplied remover or mineral sprits, then just wipes right off.  I've sprayed all my stainless guns with it, and my son did his Handi 45-70/Huntsman.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 04:24:20 PM »
Jack Ryan, I don't know if it's just this computer (it's a fairly new and fast computer) but I don't see any picture there, just the dreaded "red x"....<><.... :(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 04:50:55 PM »
Jack
I think you need a bigger scope on that thing :eek:
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 08:00:57 PM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
Jack Ryan, I don't know if it's just this computer (it's a fairly new and fast computer) but I don't see any picture there, just the dreaded "red x"....<><.... :(

Here's a link,

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/17547Image02.jpg

but  I see it just fine. That's part of the problem, LOL.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 08:02:35 PM »
Quote from: handirifle
Jack
I think you need a bigger scope on that thing :eek:

Yeah, me too.

One with a light!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 09:23:46 PM »
Hay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   That rig looks like it's being set up for my kind of shooting.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2005, 01:39:07 AM »
Thanks for the link Jack but it says I am forbidden from entering the site!!! I guess I'm out of luck on seeing your creation....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline redneckd1

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2005, 04:04:33 AM »
Thx for all the info guys, I found some Krylon ultra flat paint in camo colors at Wal-mart. I'll probably use that and just use the browns and greens, leave out the black like Jack Ryan said. BTW I couldn't see the picture either, but it sounds like a good way to do it. I was thinking of putting the metal parts in the oven and bake the first coat on for a more durable finish or maybe just bake the primer on, not sure yet. Seems like the best way to get a camo'd gun without spending a couple hundred bucks!!!
Thx again,
R
Cheers,
R

I'm not broken, but you can see the cracks :eek:

Offline stiff neck

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2005, 04:19:48 AM »
What kind of TELESCOPE do you have on that thing?

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2005, 11:47:59 AM »
http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/17547a_2321-med.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/img/261680.JPG

I don't get all the scope comments?

How are you suppose to pick a hair to shoot at if ya can't see them?

Does that Handi look any different now?

One of those links should work. One is Jesse's and the other is Hunt101

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2005, 12:08:25 PM »
Wow!! That looks awesome Jack.

When I first looked at the pictured, I didn't even notice the Handi sitting there, just the ????Marlin 917???? Then I read how you said somthing about a Handi in the pic and I had to look again. LOL

I think I need to do somthing with the pallet wood on my 223 Handi now. Maybe just strip em and tung oil them. Did that to an old Marlin and it looks gorgeous.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2005, 12:11:18 PM »
That worked like a charm... I was distracted by the black and brown rifle, didn't even notice the Handi till I clicked on the picture and blew it up to original size.  Nice job there. :-)

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2005, 12:12:16 PM »
I don't know about putting a gun in the oven. It might affect the heat treat in the steel, I wouldn't go over a hundred if I did try it..

But I'll give ya one old painters trick if you promise not to blow your self up.

I have one of those little propane heaters in the garage. Make sure the gun is at least a warm room temp and I heat up the paint. Warm paint gives a better finish, doesn't run and dries faster. When I say warm I mean not too hot to hold in your hand. Warm a little and then shake the can. If it doesn't feel cold right away then all the paint in the can is warm. Just a few seconds over the heat and turning with your bare hands to ensure it never get hot enough to blow the can.

Cans in a hot car get really hot in the sun and they never blow so that's my way of figuring. If it blows up though, I don't know what yer talk'n about.

Useing that and a hair drier and you can paint. Go put on your hunting cloths and use the same gun and it will be hard by the time you are ready to leave.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2005, 12:19:23 PM »
Thanks guys.

I admit I was being kind of a wise guy for affect. That's all part of the camo biz to. Give 'em something else to look at.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2005, 12:24:49 PM »
Quote from: stiff neck
What kind of TELESCOPE do you have on that thing?

That's just one of those cheap Barska scopes from Sportsman'sguide. I put one on my 917V and liked it so much it just seemed the only thing that made sense when it was time to supersize for the 223.

I like the 50 mm optical. I can see to shoot by moon light. Only you can never see the cross hairs normally and these things fix that problem with a lighted reticle. Just a little tiny glowing red dot. Put it on that big black moving blob in the water and pull the trigger.

So long as you can keep the reflection of the sky on the water and you have a place where it's safe to shoot this way you can kill beavers all night long. With out even any extra light source.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2005, 12:28:16 PM »
Lookin good Jack!! Thanks!! A better way to warm spray paint is in hot water, I just set the can in a pan in the sink, run hot tap water in the pan until just before the paint can starts to float, shake the can every little bit until the can is warm after shaking, it works like a charm and no need to expose the can to high heat.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2005, 01:31:55 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Lookin good Jack!! Thanks!! A better way to warm spray paint is in hot water, I just set the can in a pan in the sink, run hot tap water in the pan until just before the paint can starts to float, shake the can every little bit until the can is warm after shaking, it works like a charm and no need to expose the can to high heat.

Yes! Absolutely, what quick said.

I'd do that to if I didn't procrastinat until the last minute and then change my mind and decide I wanted what I knew I needed and should have done all along instead of surfing the internet.

Oh, well. Everyone has their purpose in life. Even if it's only to serve as a bad example.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2005, 01:42:50 PM »
Here's one I took with out the "decoy".

I masked over the parallax label and it urked me so much while taking these pix I went back and camoed that to as soon as I was done here. I'll take some white out and put dots at the 25, 50, 100, and 200 marks so I can find the settings in the dark.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2005, 04:00:39 PM »

Offline v8r

• Contributor
Painting a Handi??
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 07:23:50 AM »
cool :grin:
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
H&R Topper 158 .22 Hornet
H&R Classic Carbine .45 LC
NEF  .357 magnum
H&R "Golden Buffalo" Buffalo Classic 45-70
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline single_shooter

Desert Tan
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2005, 02:01:11 PM »
I Painted a youth model .243 Ultra-Lite Synthetic Desert Tan.  I used a Plastic Primer I believe was made by Krylon.  Then used a Desert Tan Spray Paint over the top of Primer.  All I Painted was the Stock and Forend. This was over a year ago and all is well.  No problems.