Author Topic: Marvel Mystery Lube?  (Read 816 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
Marvel Mystery Lube?
« on: March 04, 2005, 05:55:31 AM »
I have been using Beeswax and olive oil, and sometimes melt in some RCBS Alox stick lube or Rooster Red to make a semi-soft lube. Yesterday...I finally put two and two together..(been meaning to try this)
I started with equal parts of Beeswax and Marvel Mystery Oil. First melted the beeswax and then add the oil, dip a little out with a spoon and blow on it to cool and test the consistency...(I like it about like Bore Butter) Keep adding a little oil till it is right. This stuff looks right, smells great. I used the old fashioned method for applying...dipped the bases of the bullets in warm lube till it built up on the bullet, then used a cookie cutter (a cartridge with the web removed to push down over the bullet and remove the excess. That works great too...the third bullet just pops out of the top.
Now I will just have to see how it works. Has anyone else tried this?  I seem to remember someone talking about Marvel Mystery Oil before.
....make it count

Offline joeb33050

• Trade Count: (0)
Marvel Mystery Lube?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 12:52:00 AM »
I make Darr lube-half Gulf canning wax =paraffin and half generic vaseline, paraffin comes in one pound box, vaseline in 12 ounce bottle, so I mix the 1 lb and 12 oz. and add Marvel Mystey Oil to makie the consistency right, smells good and a lovely shade of pink. Recently bought more beeswax from that guy in Nevada than any sane person should have, for $25 delivered. Added some to the Darr lube to make it more-don't know the word. Beeswax amkes it more ?solid?, sometimes falls out of the groove on 429421, Darr breaks and falls out, it's sort of brittle. Adding beeswax makes it plasticy, like taffy. Don[t get me wrong, the Darr + MMO works just fine. I've just got to do something with 20# of beeswax.
joe b.

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Marvel Mystery Lube?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 11:49:04 AM »
There are a few automotive/small engine products that mix well with lube and provide good slip for the bullets.

My current experiment is with 2-cycle oil, beeswax and paraffin.

In my head, 2-cycle lube has to be about the slickest crap there is.  Just think about what this stuff does inside an engine, running at 9000 rpm, when mixed at a 50:1 ratio with gasoline!! :shock:

The Marv Mys Oil will give you a few more miles per gallon on your daily driver.  -My thought...  Put it into your gas tank as well and use the $ you save to buy more shooting stuff. :wink:
Just my Awf Hand comments...