Poll

My Garden is this size...

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: April 04, 2005, 02:00:26 AM

Author Topic: Garden Size  (Read 1518 times)

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
Garden Size
« on: March 05, 2005, 01:00:26 AM »
How big is your Garden?

Do you plan on making it bigger?
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline jvs

Garden Size
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 08:52:54 AM »
Quote from: TM7
I've actually reduced the size of my garden since we don't put up as much produce as we once did....time and other interests [and getting older] compete with the gardening. However, when i retire I plan on more growing and more small fruits, too. Don't think I save much money but the results are worth it.........TM7

With todays Gasoline prices a home garden is becomming more and more economical.  But when Fall comes and a 1/2 bushel of fresh vegetables are $8 at the Farmer's Mkt, you can't beat those prices by growing it at home.   The best part is you can go out anytime you want and pick and taste something that nobody can rival over the counter, without firing up the car to get to it.

I like to think my garden is bigger than it is, but reality is that I have enough to grow what I like every year.  My permanent crops are at the age now that they really put out, and with just the two of us here, a packet of seeds or a tray of plants is all we need to keep frozen stock on hand for most of the lean months.  I'll have just enough Stewed Tomato's from what I had to buy (because of the blight) at the Farmers Mkt last year to hold me until about the end of June.  

Right now I'm waiting for the Rhubarb to hurry up and get to growing, but with 6+ inches of snow still on the ground, and more snow coming next week, it may be 6 to 8 weeks yet.  I thought I could have some fresh Horseradish this year for Easter but I'd need a jack-hammer to get it.  Last night the temps were still in the teens.

Cabin Fever can be a terrible thing.  I can't wait for my Magnolia to bloom.

Offline longwinters

• Trade Count: (0)
Garden Size
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 05:29:06 PM »
While I was growing up our garden was well over an acre.  We grew everything that we needed as far as berry/fruits and veggies for the whole year.  We also sold stuff, door to door, in town and my mother used our strawberrys, rasberrys, and blackcaps to make pies for some of the rich people that would come into the area in the summers.  I sold pumkins to one of the grocery stores for halloween.  Now, 35 years later, I am really missing most of those big garden days, and have to get by on 2 strips 15' long and about 18" wide.  

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline jvs

Garden Size
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 06:47:48 AM »
longwinters,

Some Churches in my area use some of their land for people to grow gardens.  They take a lot and stake it into 20x20 parcels or so, and lease the parcels for $5 for the growing season.  Some people rent more than one parcel.  Sometimes a contest breaks out as to who grows the best of anything.

Maybe the practice of home gardening on Church land is more wide spread, if you want to check it out.

Offline longwinters

• Trade Count: (0)
Garden Size
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 10:52:27 AM »
1/2",

Thanks for the idea.  I know our church parking lot is all blacktop :)  I am thinking about cutting a tree down to make more room and get a little more sunshine.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline .45 COLT

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Garden Size
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 04:50:24 AM »
We're about 2 acres, an acre of that in berries - strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. The other acre or so is in all the other garden-type things. We grow, raise, shoot or catch (fish) about 95% of what we consume. About the only things we have to buy are flour, coffee, sugar, salt and black pepper. I reckon I could grow wheat and rye to grind my own flour, but haven't done that yet.
On the 19th of April, 1775, a tyrannical government sent an army to disarm its citizens. They ran into a touch of trouble.

Offline jvs

Garden Size
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 09:39:17 AM »
I've been told that 1/2 acre will grow enough vegetables for the average family for one year.  Since that would be approximatly 20,000 sq ft, I believe it.  That would allow for proper spacing between plants and rows also.

If I had a truck patch that size the harvest from one year would last me years.  I think 1/4 acre would do me just fine, even with my berrys.

JOLT ! ! !

I was just dreaming.