Author Topic: A PRIORITY LIST  (Read 979 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
A PRIORITY LIST
« on: March 05, 2005, 03:12:57 PM »
Not home defense, but DODO in the fan.
A list of weapons a person should have available for this situation.
I would like to keep it a reasonable list-mortars, cannon and such to be avoided. weapons a common person should/can reasonably obtain.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Ramrod

A PRIORITY LIST
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 03:22:33 AM »
Aren't the dodo's extinct? :)  just kidding.
If things got really bad, first on my list is a good "assault weapon"!
I like the AR-15. Ten magazines minimum.
Next a good bolt action rifle with scope, for big game hunting or offensive use. (like sniping.)
A .22 rimfire for scrounging food would be a must for me.
I would want a couple thousand rounds for the semi, at least a thousand for the bolt, and 5000 rounds for the .22, but these are minimums. If things really broke down, ammo would be the best barter item one could own.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Lawdog

A PRIORITY LIST
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 12:00:30 PM »
Quote from: Ramrod
Aren't the dodo's extinct? :)  just kidding.
If things got really bad, first on my list is a good "assault weapon"!
I like the AR-15. Ten magazines minimum.
Next a good bolt action rifle with scope, for big game hunting or offensive use. (like sniping.)
A .22 rimfire for scrounging food would be a must for me.
I would want a couple thousand rounds for the semi, at least a thousand for the bolt, and 5000 rounds for the .22, but these are minimums. If things really broke down, ammo would be the best barter item one could own.

A nice starting list Ramrod but you forgot a good, solid, simple 12 ga. double.  24" barrels with screw in choke tubes would be nice.  And I would add to the list one other item.  A Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .357/9mm.  That way I could use three different types of ammo in one handgun.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Ramrod

A PRIORITY LIST
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 12:26:04 PM »
:D  Lawdog, maybe some folks would want them, I don't see a real need, if the first three were at hand. What would the shotgun do, that couldn't be done with the other guns? Remember, this is a survivalist scenario, not home defense. And I think it was Jeff Cooper that said "the only thing a handgun is good for is fighting your way back to your rifle."  :) Besides, you can always pick the other weapons off the enemy that was dumb enough to go up against your rifles with them.

Offline Lawdog

A PRIORITY LIST
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 08:26:44 AM »
Quote from: Ramrod
:D  Lawdog, maybe some folks would want them, I don't see a real need, if the first three were at hand. What would the shotgun do, that couldn't be done with the other guns? Remember, this is a survivalist scenario, not home defense. And I think it was Jeff Cooper that said "the only thing a handgun is good for is fighting your way back to your rifle."  :) Besides, you can always pick the other weapons off the enemy that was dumb enough to go up against your rifles with them.

Taking certain small birds is better done with a good shotgun than any .22 rf.  And in a survival situation a good handgun comes in quite handy.  You still have to protect what you have from those that don't have.  I don't subscribe to everything that Jeff Cooper has to say and even he wore a handgun.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline CornCod

Simple
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 12:30:37 PM »
All you need are three firearms, a semi-auto AK-47, a .38 Special revolver with a four inch barrel, perhaps a Model 10 Smith and a 12 guage punp shotgun (Mossberg, Remington or Winchester). Anything more is just guilding the lily.

Offline williamlayton

A PRIORITY LIST
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 03:30:13 PM »
Would an edged weapon be advisable?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Ramrod

A PRIORITY LIST
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 06:23:52 AM »
A tommahawk might be a good choice, if you thought you might need to build a shelter or two. But the classic U.S.M.C (Ka-Bar) Knife is tough to beat for defense or survival purposes.

Offline Lawdog

A PRIORITY LIST
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 09:15:36 AM »
Quote from: williamlayton
Would an edged weapon be advisable?
Blessings

Definitely!  A good multi tool like a Leatherman or Gerber and a good sheath knife alone with a good camp axe is always a good idea.  Lawdog

Offline S.S.

A PRIORITY LIST
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 04:42:20 AM »
Something else to think about in a "feces hit the fan" situation
would be the fact that every time you discharged one of those
weapons you will be getting the attention of others who may take a keen interest in taking possesion of said weapons. Therefore you will need
a quieter weapon for food gathering. Something like a Sheridan Air rifle
(My Choice, I have 2) or a good quantity of .22 CB caps.
Also, always remember parts kits and broken shell extractors for repairing
your weapons.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Lawdog

A PRIORITY LIST
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 08:44:40 AM »
This thread brings to mind a question.  Just how many of us already have a “just in case kit” already put together?  Lawdog

Offline williamlayton

A PRIORITY LIST
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 12:33:11 AM »
Lawdog-
That was/is kinda the thought behind the question, well, fer me it was/is.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD