Author Topic: Question on Printing  (Read 777 times)

Offline Jerry J

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
Question on Printing
« on: March 06, 2005, 05:42:24 AM »
What do you do about printing. Is there a certain type of rig you use or gun you carry? Do you not concern yourself with it? Do you only carry during the bulky clothes months and not in the summer? Have you ever had any issues with being "discovered"?

Offline wis_sharpshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
Question on Printing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 07:48:28 AM »
I'm not sure what your asking, could you clear it up a little bit.
Hail Marry Full of Grace Drop This Animal on its Face

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Question on Printing
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 12:09:57 PM »
Jerry1:  I have been carrying concealed since 1968 and have never been discovered.  I am also just about as self conscious as a 'packer' can be about being discovered and am very aware of what can and cannot be seen.  

Many years ago in NYC I was on leave before going back to SE Asia.  I was carrying a GI 45 in my belt under my dress green uniform jacket - I didn't use a holster then and rarely do now.  I was approached by a fella who wished me luck and asked if I ever carried a handgun when I was 'out and about' because he felt that a guy should have something in case a surpirse showed up.  We talked for a bit, he told me he made holsters and he offered to make me a belt rig for a government auto, as that was what I would be carrying.  His name was Paris Theodore and he owned SevenTrees Holsters.  We went back to his shop and he showed me the style of holsters he was making and I was impressed.  He, however, almost dropped his jaw when he saw that I had already effectively concealed a GI 45 in my belt under my dress green uniform jacket.  He said he never saw it print and that he usually walked around NYC looking for people who were carrying because they always printed and that was how he drummed up business.  When he saw how the piece carried on me (canted slightly forward and held tight to the body by my belt) he designed and made his first inside the pants holster for a GI 45 and had it ready for me before I left that afternoon.  I used that holster for a long number of years and still have it but rarely use it as I still prefer unholstered belt carry.

If you are referring to packing the Beretta Tomcat you mentioned in a previous post, you can conceal them very well.  Uncle Mikes makes a very good pocket holster for pistols that size - they snug very well under the belt if you prefer and carry very nicely (as designed) in many pockets - trousers, looser fitting jeans, walking shorts, suit coats or outer wear jackets.  There are others who make similar holsters that work, too.  Bauer makes a soft leather inside the pants (belt clip) holster that is basically a leather pouch that works well for those small autos and conceals well.  

You have many options, but the best way to deal with it is to be about as self conscious as ya'll can be about something like that and to be sure you 'adjust' your body movements to minimize any 'discoverable' situation.

44 Man had some great comments about the same concerns a while back that may be further down the forum.  It is worth the read if you can find it.  HTH and Good Luck.  Mikey.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Question on Printing
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 12:16:36 PM »
"Printing" is when your concealed firearm is discernable by its outline.  The gun itself isn't visible, but it's still obvious what the bulge is.  It's a problem for all gun toters, you have to adapt your wardrobe to fit your concealment needs.  There are some who can easily conceal a 45ACP in Commander size during the summer, I'm not one of them unless I wear something that covers it completely.  The biggest thing I can conceal easily is a SW K-frame or something similar.  Barrel length matters less than the size and shape of the butt, which is why I prefer round-butted Smith guns of all frame sizes.

Printing is never a good thing.  Bad guys who know you're packing may avoid you, but they may also target you via ambush, to take you out of the action before you can react.  It can also get you arrested, or at least horribly embarrassed.  I remember responding to a "Man with a Gun" call one night, the poor guy was off-duty and stopped to pick up a gallon of milk from the top shelf at a local store.  The clerk saw the gun and freaked.  He alerted the manager, who called us 911.  Four squad cars came screaming up as this guy walked out of the store, and we took him down in front of several people.   It was pretty humiliating for him, especially when my Sergeant publicly chewed him out for being an idiot.  If he's been dressed like a bum, we probably would have gone even harder on him.  Sarge suggested that if he was gonna carry that openly, to keep his badge visible as well.  Discretion is critical!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
Question on Printing
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 08:24:41 PM »
Like Mikey, I prefer to carry mine just tucked in my waist band, holsters seem to add more bulk making it uncomfortable, of course I'm not toting a full size 1911 like Mikey did, but with my belt snugged up and my slender 9mm tucked in, it doesn't move around and know one ever knows I'm carrying except my wife.

Offline TScottW99

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
Question on Printing
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 10:42:35 PM »
I always carry and always use a holster.  

I do worry about printing, but with my Glock 27 and Sidearmor IWB I don't have problems.

You have to experiment with the right holsters to find one that fits you and your needs.  With a Glock and as active as I am,  I have to have a holster.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Jerry J

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
Printing
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 01:28:51 AM »
Mikey,
Thanks for your post, very informative. I not the one carrying the Tomcat, must be a different Jerry. I'm carring a Smith snub, I've found a nice IWB and it seems to be working well, it is comfortable. Thanks for all your replies. Good shooting.  Jerry J

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Question on Printing
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 02:46:47 AM »
I try to be as non-printing as I can be. But there are circumstances sometime beyond your control. With that said, I carry a Colt Defender and it will print when I have something light on, but we can't wear a jacket all the time. I have seen people notice that I had something but they did not seem to panic. In all the years of carrying, I have never been stoped and asked it I had a gun. Just try to be as careful as you can.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
Question on Printing
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 11:37:25 AM »
I  really don't care about printing.  My experience over many years is that you can walk through Wal Mart towing a 155mm howitzer behind you and no one will notice -- if you don't block the aisles. :)

Some people may know you're carrying from very subtle signs -- but who cares?  The law only requires the gun be concealed "from casual observartion.  Simply draping your T-shirt over it satisfies that requirement.

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Question on Printing
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 11:42:10 PM »
Quote from: Vern Humphrey
I  really don't care about printing.  My experience over many years is that you can walk through Wal Mart towing a 155mm howitzer behind you and no one will notice -- if you don't block the aisles. :)

Some people may know you're carrying from very subtle signs -- but who cares?  The law only requires the gun be concealed "from casual observartion.  Simply draping your T-shirt over it satisfies that requirement.

agreed

you can tell I have a sig .40 on my person if you look enough. It wouldnt be easy for someone to grab the holster, unsnap it, and get the gun. My arms would have to be totally incapacitated, and thats not going to happen. So in that sense, I dont mind people seeing a slight print.

Id rather have my .40 then a tiny .32 or something any day of the week. Just my opinion.

Offline LMM

• Avid Poster
Question on Printing
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 12:15:50 AM »
Heck, I'm not even required to be concealed although I feel its a good idea to keep it covered.  No reason to freak out hysterical and over reactive people who are conditioned to be victims. Who are afraid of anything and everything.  

:D  :-D
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline Dusty Miller

Question on Printing
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 08:43:15 AM »
Wearing a larger shirt will cure a lot of printing problems.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Question on Printing
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 01:06:28 AM »
Dusty put it well.  When you carry full time, while the style of gun is important, how you dress becomes important also.  I have carried over 25 years and have never had my gun discovered.  You must buy your clothing to accommodate your carry.  Buy a larger shirt, buy cotton instead of lightweight synthetic.  Buy you pants one size larger than normal to accommodate your IWB holster.  I can often spot who is carrying.  Sometimes by the print, it's usually the gun butt pushing their shirt out in the back.  They need to wear the gun farther forward on their hip (and don't bend over!).  Or you can see a curve in their belt that is not natural.  Subtiltys, but important.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Question on Printing
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 08:39:18 AM »
For me, the worst guns for "printing" have been full size, double stack autos in small of the back holsters or shoulder holsters.  I quit packing that kind of pistol about 10 years ago, and I've since learned the dangers of S.O.B carry, so that's out for me.  An inside the waistband holster located between the 2 and 3 o'clock positions conceals very well under a shirt, and I usually wear an untucked t-shirt with a button down shirt over that (if someone reading this doesn't know "clock" positions on their body, your belly button is 12 o'clock, and your butt crack is 6 o'clock).  

I really like shorts and slacks with bdu style pockets, as the outer cargo pocket breaks up the outline of any small handgun packed in the inner pocket.  You can't wear a super heavy gun this way without dragging down one side of your pants, which counts as printing to me.  Pocket carry guns should be no more than 20 ounces, and less is better, if you don't want to sag on one side.
NRA life member