Author Topic: What do you wear  (Read 1086 times)

Offline nealglen37

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What do you wear
« on: March 06, 2005, 05:43:01 PM »
just wondered what your fav deer hunting clothes are....................just found some I love.......carheartt bib overall..............I think I will wear them everywhere........why did they ever go out of style.....I remember old men use to wear them everywhere......... instead of Jeans................

Silly post..................but had nothing better to say.

Offline JPSaxMan

What do you wear
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 01:42:26 AM »
I'm finding that what you wear really does impact your hunt. I went to a deercamp this year and I found that my typical bulky Remington down clothes really don't fare me well there. Why? A) bulky as mentioned B) they make ya sweat like a pig, and if you're going for 4-5 days without a shower, that really don't help.

So I think I'm going to take a new approach. I'm looking at these and these

This way, I'm not too bulked up and getting too hot, yet I think when I sit I'll be comfortably warm (I hope). Plus ragg wool gloves b/c I've found deerskin leather isn't that warm.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
What do you wear
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 03:21:48 AM »
I bring a full change of clothes out with me.  I go ahead and sweat like a pig hiking up the mountain.  My hunt starts off with a mile hike up a road with about a 250 ft elevation gain, then finishes with another half mile with a 650 ft elevation gain.  I cover this in about 30-45 minutes.  Even below freezing wearing just a pair of shorts over some long underwear I build up a decent head of sweat.  I just change into my sitting clothes (bib overalls and overcoat with whatever fleece I need for the day) and put what I wore up the mountain in a platic bag.

Seemed to work for me.

Sitting down in sweaty clothes is no fun in cold weather.

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
Layers
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 06:17:11 AM »
The outer layer is a hooded jacket with canvas bibs. If I'm walking or still hunting I used regular hunting boots. If I'm stand hunting I wear pac boots.  The rest depends on temperature and wind. Plus temperatures include a long sleeve t-shirt and flannel shirt and jeans. Minus temperatures additional hooded sweatshirt and longjohns under the jeans. You need to have a good watch cap and wool socks. Try finding a very thin pair of gloves to wear under your shooting gloves. I found some silk gloves that fit under airforce surplus nomex gloves keep my hands warm enough to function just fine. If it is really cold I then carry a pair of wool mittens to pull over my hands.

longwalker

Offline BrushBuster

• Avid Poster
What do you wear
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 10:25:36 AM »
I'm an older hunter making the transition from still-hunting to stand-hunting methods. Like iiibbb, I usually have a gruelling hike up the mountain to my choice hunting area. Next fall, I'm going to try a different routine. I'll be dressing as light as possible for the uphill hike, then when I  get there I'll be stripping and wiping down with unscented towelletes. After this, I don the scent-free camo clothing that I have carried up the hill in a packboard along with all my other required gear.  I'll also change boots and socks then stuff everything into unscented plastic bags that go into the packboard which is stashed far enough away and down wind from my stand. Overkill? I don't think so, these critters are soooo smart!
Struggling every day, to hold onto what I took for granted yesterday.

Offline insanelupus

What do you wear
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 01:04:35 PM »
Here in NW Montana it really depends on the weather.  But if it's moderatly cool, the first layer is always poly pro long undies.  I do a lot of hiking, (sometimes up to 10 miles for the day on logging roads.  One year logged 82 miles on logging roads in 11 days!).  At any rate, if it's early fall and fairly warm yet, (40-50's), I'll wear a pair of whipcord wool pants and a fleece shirt.  If it's colder, then Ill go to to a pair of heavy wool pants, fleece shirt, wool vest, maybe a wool sweater, and then a either a goretex 3 in one parka, or a pullover windstopper goretex jacket.  Boots are goretex 600 grams, or I have a pair of snow pacs too.  I try, to stay clear away from cotton clothes of anykind, in this country, you'll hike and sweat, and then stop to sit and with enough breeze or temps, you can get real cold real quick.
"My feeling is this, give him pleanty of time, pleanty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me.  That's all I ask." 

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
What do you wear
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 03:47:44 PM »
Here in Texas I wear Blue, Tan or Camo BDU pants and a BDU jacket or waxed cotton Orvis hunting coat.  Keep in mind the temps where in in 50's most of deer season.

Doug

Offline Adirondack Joe

What do you wear
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 08:24:46 AM »
Here in NY, the weather can play a large role in my clothes. Generally speaking, though, I wear plain-jane mil surplus wool pants and a red plaid wool shirt, jacket, or coat. I have a Johnson's wool jacket and that works well for most of our hunting weather. I've layered a lot under it on cold days, and that gets old quick. I plan on buying a heavy duty coat for the bitter cold days next season. If it isn't warm enough for the jacket, I'll wear a Pendleton wool shirt. I plan on eventually getting some gore-tex gear so I can hunt better when its raining out. In a light rain, however, I've been fine with my wools.
I hunt, therefore I am

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
What do you wear
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 10:48:32 AM »
I bought lightweight insulated WALLS camo. bib overalls last year and really like them for early season muzzleloader and mild weather private property hunting.  When temps. get cold and/or hunting on public land durng firearms season, I prefer to be seen by other hunters & wear wool &/or traditional hunting colors.  I find CARHART brand to be too stiff & noisy.  I carry crushable flourescent orange vest in my fanny pak and like to wear it walking in & out of woods during low light & when handling harvested game.

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
What do you wear
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 06:54:07 AM »
Here in Florida during bow season (Sept. and Oct.) , we hunt mostly nekkid with a lot of skeeter repellent. During "winter" dress in layers mostly - cool in morning, warm in afternoon.

Offline Spyro Andes

• Avid Poster
What do you wear
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 02:45:19 PM »
When I hunt, I usually go from relative inactivity and exposed to the elements (glassing on a ridge tops) to periods of great activity (moving glassing sights or making stalks).

When I need to be warm, my base layer is Under Armour ColdWear.  It does take a little getting used to because it is tight stuff but the stuff is INCREDIBLE!  Worth every penny and then some!

Currently I am looking at buying a new outer layer and I have pretty much decided on the Mossy Oak Apparal APX Instinct Jacket and Pant.

As for my middle layers, I generally wear just good wicking fleece.

SA

Offline dicaela

What do you wear
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 07:28:32 AM »
I love poly pro underneath everything...it kept me warm when I was in the army national guard, and it wicks sweat away enough to keep me comfortable when I stop. I hunt in Putnam county where I think there's more people than deer, so the top layer depends of the weather, but is always almost all orange. There's too many idiots coming up from NYC with their new guns for me to take the chance.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
What do you wear
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 08:04:41 PM »
We have to wear a orange vest or jacket and a orange cap. With that I wear long underwear and blue jeans. Its usually from 10 below to 35 above during deer season. I have seen it 70 above and last year we had a couple mornings that started out about 20 below zero.
shot placement is everything.