Author Topic: Dogs In Rural Arkansas  (Read 2098 times)

Offline CornCod

• Trade Count: (0)
Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« on: March 07, 2005, 05:01:22 PM »
I am a social caseworker in rural Arkansas. Why is it that so many truly poor people, who can barely afford to feed their children, have five dogs or more and let them run around unrestrained? I wonder how many nasty dogs are killed in self-defense by folks with CCW permits.

During the turn of the century in Europe, a whole category of revolver was developed for bicyclists to fend off angry dogs in rural areas. One was even named the "Velo-Dog" and marketed for the cycling community.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
dogs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 10:40:01 PM »
The guy who got me into reloading retired to Ark. He wasn't poor but he lived in rural Sheridan area.  He kept at least 3 dogs loose to kind of guard his place.  That area at that time ( late 70's) had a problem of thugs roaming back roads on Sundays to rob places while the home owners were at church.  In fact my buddy and his wife rarely went to church together.  One always stayed home to keep an eye on the place - and at the time his "place" was a trailer, a small log cabin, and two old box cars made into a horse barn.  One afternoon while I was visiting, and home alone, some rugged looking guy wheeled into the place.  But the big dog on patrol always greeted cars with a big toothy grin - no growling no barking, just a big grin (it was actually a very friendly dog - and I don't like dogs much). That dude didn't get out of hid truck and that was fine with me.

In fact I noticed that it seemed to be wise and proper etiquette in those parts to stay in your vehicle until the owner came out and called away the dogs and invited you in or talked to you.

On another note, I doubt many CCW guys would be dumb enough to blast a dog in the owner's yard - you'd probably have to fight your way home for that.

Here in rural Alaska I have carried a 38 loaded with the CCI shot caps and a couple Glasser rounds but never have used it.  

Found an electronic dog repeller that seems to work up to 50 feet - Dog Off Model PD 01.  Most dogs seem to stop barking and walk away or just stop.  I've had a couple dogs keep barking but never approach me. Lately we have a good dog catcher and I haven't needed it much but its been a nice solution.   I think our local telephone and eletric utility guys use similar models.  You can find several online if you type in electronic dog repellers or similar.

Sure wonder how a bear would react.  Should have tried it at the dump before they started the incinerator and nightly ash burial.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 04:55:50 AM »
Being in rural PA, dogs is my main reason why I CCW.   I'm a communications engineer, and I spend many weeks of te year walking pole lines and right-of-ways.   I cant even begin the count the number of times I've been nipped at and threatened by wild and pet dogs of all sizes.

...what I really hate is after I knock on a door to meet a protential subscriber or talk about right-of-ways, and they act like no one is home-then the let their big angry dogs out after I walk just out of site.   A few of the dogs have met the business end of my 4LB mini-sledge that I used to drive in pole stakes.

...have yet to shoot one.  Keep thinking about the little boy or girl that it belongs to.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 11:31:31 AM »
CornCod - you could be talking about many places, including the rural parts of upstate NY.  

And knight0334 - that is exactly why I always carry a firearm when I am in the woods or hiking up along some powerlines or gas lines.  If I know I am taking a route on which I might encounter fast moving predators, like coyotes and dogs, I will pack a fast moving caliber, like a 38 Super or a 7.62x25mm Tokarev as you don't need as much lead as you do with the heavier, slower calibers and, you can track them pretty quickly with faster calibers.  Mikey.

Offline jhm

Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 02:10:06 PM »
We own a cattle ranch and it is in Ar. and we are in the country even though the wife thinks its great to load up the camper and go ( CAMPING ) go figure, anyhow it seams that there are always a bunch of strays during the course of the year and if they pack up and chase the cattle, well thats a no-no in our books and also to the sheriffs dept. who says take care of them period and I always do what the sheriff says, so a lot of the dogs you are seeing are just drop offs in the country and I am sure some people have a reason to keep dogs running loose, I dont know why I keep my 3 in a kennel for their own safety. :D    JIM

Offline Dusty Miller

Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 09:28:57 PM »
I'd heard that rural Arkansas had a lot of TWO LEGGED dogs running loose but that's probably an urban myth!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 03:33:25 AM »
I will admit to shooting a pooch or two in someones front yard. Him or me. I always call ahead whenever possible and ask for any pets to be restrained. I'm not into shooting someones puppy dog, I got one my self. I also will not get bit, nor will my family. We have a big problem here with house dogs. Owners turn them loose when they go to work and they pack up. I have personally lost over $5000 worth of pheasants, turkeys, guinea, rabbits and quail to these pets. Several owners have lost pets. Where I live we have a leash law... basically you must control your dog at all times. Odd law for such a rural area but it was passed because of damage to livestock by house dogs. For years allot of holstein calves were killed by pets. The last raid on my place was by three house dogs who chewed through chicken wire and killed over 30 pheasants, not eating them mind you but just killing them. These attacks happen  between 9AM and noon. Lately I've seen house dogs running horses in nearby fields. I bet horse owners will start screaming soon.
Rick

Offline jhm

Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 03:38:03 AM »
Dusty its not a mythe, every state has them, some have been shipped out of state to the states that think they dont have any just to keep everyone happy. :D    JIM

Offline retrieverhunter

Stray dogs
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 07:30:55 AM »
It is ironic that I am seeing this topic this morning.  I JUST shot 2 "feral" dogs about an hour ago.  2 shots, 2 dogs, 250 yards.  I LOVE MY 300 WSM.  I have had my CCL for 10 years and about 5 years ago was at a customers house to collect for some work that I had done for him.  I had never been to his house before and saw his Australian Shepherd when I pulled up but was shocked when I got about 30 feet from my truck and was bit by the dog.  I have a habit of talking to dogs when I meet them anywhere I am and have had no trouble "making friends" with almost every dog I have ever encountered.  This dog was "NUTS".  I got back to my truck before the dog could bite me again and got my gun.  The owner pulled up about that time and wanted to know what I was doing with the gun.  I told him what happened and was informed quite rudely that "IF I had shot his dog, I would have been in "real trouble" and he would sue me."  I HAD JUST GOT BITTEN BY HIS DOG!!!  I collected my money and have never done business with the guy again.
Jeff S.

Offline 6Shooter

• Avid Poster
Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 12:32:33 PM »
I lived in the country (still do) and 'wild' or stray dogs were always a problem. We used to go out to hunt them and from time to time I see 'em running around in the woods and when I can get a shot I shoot 'em.
 I have two small children and we just had some new neighbours move kind of close by and they have a pit-bull that they let run loose. I went and asked if they would keep the dog from running around loose and they said no! So I told them I will kill it when it comes to my house and that was the end of that. I forgot to add this same dog ran after my wife when she went to the mailbox one day and stopped just short of getting to her, so I think this dog has a problem.

Offline HotGuns

Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 01:30:29 PM »
I live out in the boons and have had to deal with several dogs over the years that the folks from Russellville kindly "left off". :x

These "harmless" dogs learn real quick to live wild or they'll die of starvation. That means eating cows,chickens,dogs ,cats, and whatever they are quick enough to grab. Ive helped a few friends over the years dispatch serveral dogs that were preying on young cattle. Once they figure out that a newborn calf is easy pickings, they can be hell on a herd.

Pope County has a law that bascially states that you can shoot any animal that is damaging your lively hood or being a general nuisance. That makes it completely legal to whack a dog,cat, ostrich,emu,pig or whatever and any enlightened soul that trys to sue you for killing the family dog will look like an idiot in court when they have to explain why YOU took care of the problem that they didnt.

As for pitbulls...I have no problem with them if they stay where they are supposed to. The thing is ,once they free roam, they consider their normal range as "their" turf and they are prone to defending it. The pit bull that runs towards your wife and stops short today, may not do the same thing tomorrow.  I attended a homicide by pit bull up in Hector a few years ago as a Deputy Sheriff and it was not a pretty sight. A couple of pit bulls jumped a gal that cut across a yard and tore her up. Ate one of her arms off and most of her face.  

As a deputy I've had to pay attention to yard dogs. Some dogs just see a uniform as a threat. I'll usually jump back in the car, call the dispatcher and have them call the people and tell them to put the dog up. Even so, a few dogs get whacked by deputys every year. I have no intention of getting bit by any dog while Im toting a .45., but I do understand that dogs are usually only doing what dogs do, so Ill make every effort to not shoot one when Im on duty.

A side effect from dogsd roaming wild is that they have been breeding with coyotes...and they are called "Coydogs". This was brought to our attention several years ago by the AGFC. These are basically giant sized dogs that look like coyotes but are a big as a large german sherpard. They are fast,smart,big, and most seem to have little fear of humans. Ive killed several over the years that are the size of a wolf. When someone tells you that  they have seen a "wolf" theres a 99 percent chance it was a Coydog.

A couple of coydogs can and will kill a full sized cow with little problem. They been known to kill domestic dogs and cats and they love to hang around chicken houses. I know a couple of chicken farmers that have had them run into a chicken house in broad daylight, snag a chicken and run out with the farmer standing less than 30 feet away. They seem to be pretty bold.

As for domestic pets causing problems...I would tell the owner first and give them a chance to correct the problem. If it persists, shoot the sucker(the dog, not the owner) and chunk it out on the highway. When the folks see the beloved little pooch dead on the road, they'll think he got run over and you are off the hook. No problems and your neighbors still love ya.

Works well...
dont ask how I know... :shock:

Offline HotGuns

Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 01:34:58 PM »
I'd heard that rural Arkansas had a lot of TWO LEGGED dogs running loose but that's probably an urban myth!

Not any more...

they went up to New York...
one of them became a Senator and the other...well...he showed up to dedicate his trailer on stilts down there in Little Rock.

Hopefully they'll forget about this state and stay up there.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 02:59:10 AM »
HotGuns - LOL - you said:  I'd heard that rural Arkansas had a lot of TWO LEGGED dogs running loose but that's probably an urban myth! Not any more... they went up to New York... one of them became a Senator (LOL).

As Larry The Cable Guys sings in his Christmas Carols (sp):  Oh, ya better watch out, I think she's a guy, sumptin ain't right an I'm tellin' you why, hillary klinton is comin' to town.....................  Heard that one last night - lol.  Mikey.

Offline cvixx

shoot that dog!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 12:36:48 PM »
paper had a front page article about a gent living on 9 acres in Springdale, UT, who shot a dog what was killing his chickens.  State law says it is OK but the city had an ordinance about shooting within the city limits.  They fined him for the shots fired and fined the dog owner.  

Springdale is at the entrance to Zion and has been discovered by the artsy set who bring their artsy ideas to old communities and really pi** off the locals.

Offline S.S.

Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 06:59:10 AM »
One of those DOGS is going to try for the
Whitehouse in 2008 !
Man that is a scarrrrrry thought.
I wonder what she will be doing to her interns?
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 08:36:28 AM »
Just got back from feeding my varmits. Two large breed dogs came at me growling and snapping, three .45+P 185 grainers later and I stood alone. No collars. While I don't enjoy shooting folks dogs I must admit I did get a rush from those dogs. Range was 30 feet.

Offline Holiday

• Contributor
    • http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-holidayhayes
Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 02:25:02 PM »
Don't know about Arkansas, but here in Alabama if you shoot a mans dog IN his yard, and he don't shoot ya himself, you better get ready to go to jail. I realize the self defence part, but you are on someone else's property. Utility workers and postal workers aside, most folks can be classified as trespassing whether intentional or accidental. You see a dog, it barks, and THEN you get out of your vehicle? Won't go over well in court.

In answer to the origional question, I don't understand it either. I live in about as rural a part of the state as you can get. I see some folks that can't afford to pay attention, but have a half dozen doggs. Now, if their kids are taken care of, and they can feed the dogs, fine. A good dog is a wonderful pet. But some folks don't do either. A lot of starved dogs have caused a lot of problems around here. Quite a few have "gone wild" over the years causing a bad feral dog problem.
Holiday Hayes
Darksider, Gunfighter
"Just a simple Cowboy, tryin' ta git along"

Offline rockbilly

Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2005, 03:17:48 PM »
:roll: I don't see anything wrong with shooting a wild dog, or one that is somewhere he shouldn't be, but I have a problem with shoot a man's dog in his front yard.  With me, it would be kinda like slapping my wife.....somebody is bout to get hurt bad.

Several years ago two clowns I worked with showed up at my house about midnight on New Year"s Eve.  They were beating on the front door while my Spitz was going wild in the house.  When my wife opened the door one of the guys stepped in and kicked the dog because he was barking, Mama picked up a big wooden bowl full of nuts and broke it over his head.  Several days later, when I ran into him he brought it up, I told him the dog was only doing his job, thats why I feed him, to bark when someone comes around, then I told him how lucky he was that I didn't answer the door.

Offline Tusker

Loose Dogs
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2005, 08:11:03 AM »
We just had an 85 year old women in southern VA killed by 3 pit bulls.  She live all those years and had to die because some fool couldn't keep their dogs under control?? I don't think so. Law, or no law, the law be damned-- If  they come after me, or mine, or yours, and I am around, they are     H I S T O R Y - period. I have 3 dogs of my own, and they are ALWAYS under control. In many cases, it is not the dogs fault they have been left to fend for themselves, but when they pack up, the results can be very unpleasant.

TUSKER

Offline Darrell Davis

Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 05:13:55 PM »
:D Dog lover here, but-------------

To start with, just be glad the do gooders and left wingers haven't moved wolves into your area like they have in mine.

However, even being a dog lover, there is a time and place for them and just like wolves a time and place where/when they should be put down like the vermin they are or have become.

Maybe it is just like the folk who can't control themselves or their kids, they can't or won't control their animals.  In that case, if it is their dog which comes busting onto my property or one of the kids  which comes busting into my home uninvited, they should be dropped like a hot rock.  Vermin are vermin, two or four legged and my home IS my castle.

The difference in this case is, one knows what they are doing is wrong and the other doesn't, because God made the two legged one with the ability to think and reason and the other to react.

Keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline williamlayton

Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 12:49:30 AM »
Recently the Hen and I took a short drive thru Arkansas, I think that was her concession to not going to Maine as I wanted, and we really enjoyed the trip.
We drove almost all of the highways marked by dotted lines in the road atlas. Stopped at every antique/gift/furniture/looks interesting place we saw.
Took our pooch with us, he travels well and seems to tolerate our many stops. This pooch is a toy poodle, well really a little larger than a toy, but small anywho, name is Rudy.
He is really friendly, thinks no one can not like him. He is not a barker. Make buddies of the other dogs at the motels when we stop for the night.
All that to say this. At one particular shop we stopped at we had Rudy on leash just walking and looking at the scenery. I looked up and there came a very large, but beautiful, dog, looked to be a German shepard. The owner of the shop said it was a full blooded wolf that had been raised since a pup by the folks that lived up the hill. It was polite though very self-assured and not at all timid. That is the only animal Rudy has ever shyed from. Rudy came close to me when he saw the dog. When the dog came to investigate Rudy I picked him(Rudy) up and as the dog approached Rudy would not look at him, just wanted to be as far from him as he could be so I put Rudy in the truck.
Now I did not have any problem with this dog, he came to me and I petted him. The owner of the shop said that the dog was aggressive but never had a tendency to be or show any signs of meanness.
I thought about this little thread as we drove away.
It was an eerie encounter and I wondered how I would have reacted should I have been in the woods.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline RedRyder21

• Avid Poster
Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 09:58:16 AM »
I don't trust any dog I don't know.

I have never been bite by a dog, but I have had many close encounter and a few near misses.
I love shotguns! :cb2:

Offline Nanuk

Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 06:36:03 PM »
I have lived where dogs are a problem. Its no fun and I have shot quite a few. Where I live now Cougars are more a threat then dogs. Last summer a cougar was after the horses, I was out of town, future son-in-law shot at it and missed :o , it left though. I live right on a US highway and am always wary of 2 legged varmints. My St Bernard would hurt someone by tackling them and drowning them in slobber.

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 02:16:14 PM »
Side note, even if your property is posted about dogs, you are responsable for any dog attacks. In my GOD graced part of Tennessee owners are responsable for control of their dogs at all times. In mine and surronding rural counties leash laws are in effect. Owners must have control of thier pets at ALL times. If I come on your property and your dogs bites me....I get to sue, that is providing I didn't kill it ASAP. Yes, I have poped some pooches. I will not let myself, another, or a kid get bit because some dipstick thinks its cool to have a biting guard dog. ( I shot my own brother in laws dog because he refused to control the animal when he knew I was coming by. The dog had bit me and two others before I put a stop to it.) The worst is are the ball sacks who let their dogs loose at dark or after they go to work so FiDo can run a bit. Dogs pack up and cause problems. I own a dog. She is kept under control at all times. If you get bit by her it is because you climbed over the 6 foot fence into her kennel. If while walking her she tried to bite someone I would end it there. Flatly cats, a humans safety/life is worth far more than a dogs. Any person who would defend a biting dog before the safety of a  person is not worthy of speaking to me.

So be it. Rick

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
Dogs In Rural Arkansas
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2005, 04:09:08 PM »
Nanuk, several years ago I had a female Saint that, like yours, would lick you to death IF you walked thru the gate.  If you jumped the fence, give your soul to the lord, cause you were dinner....Had two neighbor kids that used to tease her thru the fence...70 lb boy, 150 lb mad dog....not a fair fight.  

Area where I deer hunt has a problem with coydogs and cats.  Game Warden lives right beside property, his moto, cats in the woods are open season, stray dogs chasing deer, help yourself, practice does make perfect.

Having lived in a small North Louisiana town, I have had a few problems with stray dogs coming into the yard.  If they growled at the kids and were not smart enough to run when the wife or I came out the door....Local police never made an issue out of it.