Author Topic: Better Optics?  (Read 907 times)

Offline Arkie-06

• Trade Count: (0)
Better Optics?
« on: March 08, 2005, 07:59:41 AM »
Gentlemen,  just recently put a short-mag rifle on lay-a-way and was thinking the Leupold 2.5-8 x36 would be just about perfect for such a rifle. Was wondering if any of y'all have looked thru the new VX-3's and how would you rate the optics on them? I have looked at some of the older Vari-x 3's  and it seemed some of the optics were very good and some were terrible.I have not had a chance to look thru any of the new Leupolds. Iknow Nikon has some pretty good optics for the money but just have a hankerin to get a Leupold. Any feedback would be apprieciated.
Early to bed, Early to rise, Makes a man Healthy, Wealthy and Wise. :-)

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: Better Optics?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 01:44:28 PM »
Quote from: Arkie-06
Gentlemen,  just recently put a short-mag rifle on lay-a-way and was thinking the Leupold 2.5-8 x36 would be just about perfect for such a rifle. Was wondering if any of y'all have looked thru the new VX-3's and how would you rate the optics on them? I have looked at some of the older Vari-x 3's  and it seemed some of the optics were very good and some were terrible.I have not had a chance to look thru any of the new Leupolds. Iknow Nikon has some pretty good optics for the money but just have a hankerin to get a Leupold. Any feedback would be apprieciated.
.........With good rings and mounts that should be a great combo.......I haven't used a VXIII yet..my Vari X III are still going strong......the ones that I have seen and looked thru at the store seem to be just more of a good thing.......I would rather bet on a good Leupold than most of the other glass within the same price/market......good luck and good shooting and enjoy the new gun and working up loads......!!

Offline vernonp

• Avid Poster
Better Optics?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 08:35:10 AM »
I have one of the new FX 4 scopes on order now from the optic zone. I decided to change out the scope on my Kimber 84 308 to this scope   because of the better sight picture or eye box as it's often referred to.---- Optically the Leupold probably is not as good as the Nikon Monarch or Bushnell 4200. I guess it is what you want in a particular scope. I am sure the Leupold you mentioned would be great on your rifle. Good luck.

Offline Arkie-06

Better Optics?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 08:31:42 AM »
Many people say that the Leupolds glass isn't quite as good as the scopes you mentioned, i guess it is  how every indiviual see's it. I have not looked thru a 4200 but have got a Nikon and Zeiss and they always seemed to be clearer and brighter than the Leupold i looked thru. Which got me thinking why can't Leupold invest in the very best glass out there  and  more or less rule the market on every aspect of riflescopes. Would agree they are one of the toughest and most dependable  scopes out there but alot of people chose other brands because they are optically superior to the Leupolds. My gosh, we sent a man to the moon 1969, can't leupold have the best glass in their scopes in 2005.? :-D
Early to bed, Early to rise, Makes a man Healthy, Wealthy and Wise. :-)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Better Optics?
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 09:40:24 AM »
I don't have a problem with finding good Leupolds scopes. Everyone I have is bright and very clear. I guess it is in the eye of the beholder.  :D I can't see myself ever buying anything else.  :-D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
Better Optics?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 04:30:14 AM »
I can't see myself buying a leupold again until they either reduce the price, or get better optics.  My Pentax Lightseeker, Monarch, Conquest,and Burris Signature all perform better in low light...just better optically.  Leupold makes a darn good scope, but there are better performers for less money.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Better Optics?
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 06:02:48 AM »
Quote from: Grubbs
I can't see myself buying a leupold again until they either reduce the price, or get better optics.  My Pentax Lightseeker, Monarch, Conquest,and Burris Signature all perform better in low light...just better optically.  Leupold makes a darn good scope, but there are better performers for less money.

Everyone keeps saying that, I just don't see it.  :?
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Better Optics?
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 07:53:00 AM »
Quote from: Redhawk1