Author Topic: Should I?  (Read 600 times)

Offline bgjohn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Should I?
« on: March 08, 2005, 09:03:33 AM »
Should I buy brand A or brand X? Brand X costs half as much. I buy brand X and six months later I get rid of it and go back and buy brand A. Hopefully I've learned  my lesson and will never do it again. I see a lot of people here who haven't learned that lesson yet. They keep on buying cheap stuff and try to make it work. I'd rather have one good thing than 10 pieces of crapola. Comments? :wink:
JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline jh45gun

Should I?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 09:14:50 AM »
All depends on a persons definition of cheap or good. To some folks your cheap may be good to them compared to what they already have. Some folks think Henry's are cheap I have one and it shoots better than you can hold it. Nice wood, good fit and the alloy sides did not bother me as lots of other guns these days are made out of alloys. To me it is a great gun others may disagree. In fact I picked it over a 9422 because the lever on that felt like it had a truckload of sand it it but others may disagree with that too. It all depends on the veiws of the owner.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline JPSaxMan

Should I?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 09:22:04 AM »
Also depends on what you're buying. Music stuff? Hunting equipment? Cars? Girlfriends?  :-D . Kidding, of course.

With me and my music, I've noticed that if you buy cheap, you'll get cheap. But this doesn't always apply to hunting equipment. The bow I shoot is very quiet and very accurate, but it cost me only $300, a fraction of the cost for a Mathews, so to say.

So it all depends. It really does.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Shorty

Should I?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 01:25:13 PM »
bgjohn,
Are you talking about plumbing fixtures, or the whole house?

Offline williamlayton

Should I?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 10:32:14 PM »
Always buy the BEST you can afford as cheaply as possible.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
Should I?
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 02:00:28 AM »
Guns & accessories. For example some people will buy a $29 red dot sight and be disappointed.
JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline JPSaxMan

Should I?
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 02:33:52 AM »
Well, this story might relate back to the theory. I had my 700 topped off with a Bushnell Sportsman for three years. The scope was only like $40 and it fared me well. One day, however, the gun went into the drink. The scope didn't survive. BUT...Bushnell optics guaranteed waterproof? So what happened? Cheap optics? Maybe, probably. Plus I was once hunting out in the rain with it earlier this year and it did fog up. So I had a somewhat preminition, so to say. But you can bet my next scope is gonna be a $100 Bushnell Trophy (I would by a $500 Leupold, but I don't got the $500 :roll: ). I'll never touch the Sportsman line again.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Should I?
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 02:56:35 AM »
Quote from: bgjohn
Guns & accessories. For example some people will buy a $29 red dot sight and be disappointed.
JM

Yep, and then there are some who buy a $29 red dot for an inexpensive .22 plinker to 'kill' tin cans with and they love um.  On the other hand I've heard of some who have payed over a hundred bucks for a red dot and still were not happy because they were looking for fine target accuracy.  I guess what I'm getting at is application has a lot to do with satisfaction.

You get what you pay for and sometimes what you get is not much more than a haute name.  A while back one of the gun rags (Gun Test?) did a shootout between a $300 Handi-Rifle and a custom made single shot costing well over a grand.  The Handi may not have looked as 'perdy' as the custom gun but it shot and functioned every bit as well.  Guess which one got all the praises from the testers?  It was the $300 Handi.  It was talked about on this site so you might be able to find it if you do a search.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC